Food nerds

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by overpants-anon, Feb 25, 2015.

1. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Let me tell you about the baked potatoes I cooked for my moirail! <> <> <>
    It's a recipe, but I never take measurement of ingredients, I go by feel, and when in doubt make a bigger portion: leftovers can always become my next meal when I'm too spoonless to cook, but going through the work of cooking and still feeling a bit hungry in the end is the absolute worst. I also never add salt to anything I cook: if it's not salted enough, salt can always be added when the food is ready.
    Take large potatoes, puncture 3 or 4 times with a fork, coat in olive oil, add curry and syrian pepper liberally, stir so they're all covered in the condiments, put in the oven at around 200-250 Celsius. It's important they're 100% coated in oil so as to preserve moisture. Don't wrap them in aluminum paper, that only makes them soggy!
    Steam a whole head of broccoli (do we call them "heads of broccoli"? anyway, one unit of the full broccoli) and set it aside. Make sure not to leave it in the heat when it's ready, or it will get brown and bitter. Let it cool as thoroughly as you can.
    Meanwhile, fry some bacon cubes in their own fat (no need to add lard, butter or oil, just put them in a nonstick pan and turn on the heat) and set them aside
    The leftover fat from the bacon you put in another pan, add milk, 2 thingies of cream cheese, ground nutmeg and brie cheese (or any other cheese you want). Cook until cheese is melted
    Add the broccoli and stir a little bit
    Take potatoes out of the oven (NOTE: if when the sauce and broccoli are done, the potatoes need to be in the oven longer, do NOT mix the broccoli with the sauce! Leave that to the very end to keep the broccoli from overcooking and becoming nasty, okay?)
    Now you and the people you're feeding can help yourselves assembly-line style: put one potato on your plate, cut it in half, cover in sauce + broccoli, sprinkle with bacon and add grated parmesan cheese on top.
    It was DELICIOUS and we made a ton of it so I already have dinner, and my moirail liked it so much he's cooking it for his boyfriend! DIAMONDS FOREVER <> <> <>

• Like x 2
  2. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I pretty much never use recipes ... maybe if I'm learning something new.

I need more herbs and spices, and am wondering if I can grow any of the former outside or if I'll just forget to care for them again and kill them. Plus: I'm now in Seattle, not Los Angeles, so much more moisture so much less bad results of forgetting to water.

I'm the child of a horticulturalist and should be able to do this, dammit, but I get the forgets.

3. albedo

albedo metasperg

Trying out Dad's new whole wheat bread recipe, mmm. Almost done.

1.5 Cups Whole-wheat flour
    .5 Cups Wheat Germ
    3 Cups White Bread Flour
    1.5 Tbsp yeast
    1.5 tsp Salt
    5 Tbsp Honey
    4 Tbsp Molasses
    2 Cups Water
    ¾ Cup Milk
    Mix dry ingredients together. Add the honey and molasses, stir until combined.
    Microwave water for a minute, until warm but not painfully hot. (Too hot will kill yeast.)
    Mix the wet and dry ingredients, using a spoon until it's too thick to stir, then knead until it springs back a bit. Add extra white bread flour as needed to make dough form correctly - about 2 cups.
    Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45-60 minutes depending on ambient temperature.
    Punch down, kneading just enough to get most of the bubbles out.
    Divide in half and form into loaves. Place loaves in greased breadpans.
    Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes depending on ambient temperature.
    Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes.
    Allow to rest at least 10 minutes after baking to prevent loaf from falling when it's cut.

Yum. Not actually that much whole wheat in there, but it was pretty delicious last time; I'm hoping I made it right.

4. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

i splurged on some shrimp today that i want to cook with what's left of my onion fauxchamel sauce, but i have no idea what kind of base i want with the meal ): i'd usually use pasta, but i'm trying to cut my carb intake back a littleand just a salad seems so... bland. do you gys have any ideas?

5. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Mm, that sounds yummy. I assume you're not wanting to go out again, or I'd suggest arugula for salad to make it less bland. Most of my other ideas are also carbs, but if you've got cauliflower chopping it up small and roasting it makes it kind of like couscous, which could work, or broccoli (roasted with garlic, maybe?), or avocado, or avocado with salad?

6. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

i admit i have no idea what an onion fauxchamel would taste like, or what the texture would be like, but, since you mention that a salad would be boring, that suggests salad is a possibility, so what about a thai green mango salad? lots of interesting flavours in there, and i know shrimp works well with it.

7. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

onion fauxchamel is just that i dumped a can of cream of onion soup in a pan of bechamel sauce. but i'll take a look!! cauliflower and bechamel is one of my favorite combos, and there's some mangoes here that are starting to smell really great.

8. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I have to go inspect the rest of the onions we have around for edibleness then I will maybe throw at you a cheddar onion pull apart bread recipe once I have it tested and translated, wish me luck <3

ETA: onions not edible anymore, seriously iffy looking. Mission onion cheddar bread postponed until either of the parental units got sweet talked into also getting me onions when they go grocery shopping.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    • Like x 3
  9. IvyLB

I FOUND THE BREAD GOD! QUIVER BEFORE THE MOST WHEATLY OF DEITIES FOR HE IS DIVINE AND PERFECT AND... *cough*

Okay this is the recipe for the cheddar onion pull-apart bread. Disclaimer: this was translated by someone who just consumed copious amounts of wheat-based happy and is thus still a bit overly enthusiastic

TPhoto_00096.jpg
    look at her ain't she a beauty, eh?

Secondary Disclaimer: All measurements in Celsius, metric systems, or German non-metrics. I'm not really feeling the conversion dance right now so you'll have to do it yourselves.

To start of, as with every recipe, you will have to go on an epic quest for groceries.

Ingredients:
    • 300g onion
    • 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
    • 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (if you have it. I substituted white sugar it works just fine)
    • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    • 175g cheddar cheese (it says to use a 16 months old piece, you wanna shred it)
    • a bunch of fresh chives (or use the dried kind but add more of the buttermilk)
    • 450g generic flour
    • 150g whole wheat flour
    • 1 pack of baking powder
    • salt
    • 100g cold (!) butter
    • 1 egg (size m)
    • ca. 300g buttermilk (actually be a bit generous here I used about 20g more because the dough seemed very dry)
    You will also want a mixer thingy with kneading hooks. It's not strictly necessary if you have strong arms and patience but trust me it makes everything easier if you have it on hand.

After you have gathered all your stuff you wanna start with a frying pan. Recipe says to use a big one, I think a medium sized one probably suffices though. Skin onions, then cut them into thin strips. Heat the oil in the pan but not too much and put the onions in. Stew them at medium heat until they are soft and keep a good eye on them, you don't want them to brown. This will take a while, seriously like 45 minutes or something.
    Meanwhile you can mix the vinegar with 2 tablespoons water. After the onions are nice and soft you pour the vinegar-water mixture and the sugar in the pan and bring the whole thing to a boil. Let it simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally then set aside to cool.

Shred your cheese. Wash, dry and cut the chives. Line a baking tin with parchment and preheat your oven (electric: 200°C, if you have an oven with air circulation: 175°C)

Sieve the flours and the baking powder in a bowl. (Or don't. I never do. Ain't nobody got time for that) Then put in a teaspoon of salt, the butter in pieces, the egg and a third each of the cheese and the chives. Pour in the buttermilk but leave 4 tablespoons for later. Now knead the dough, either with a mechanical friend or by hand.

Once your dough is nice and smooth put it on a piece of parchment, put another piece of parchment on top of it. rolle out the dough between the paper to roughly a rectangle (around 30 x 40 cm should be right).
    Evenly spread the onions on the rolled dough, leaving about 2cm at the long side farthest from you clean. Put on the rest of the cheese and chives. Roll the dough up into a strudel by flipping the long side near you over the filling and then pulling the parchment paper towards you and upwards.

Put the dough strudel on the prepared tin. (pro tip: make sure to have the seam where you left the dough clean on one side on the underside so the strudel doesn't fall open during baking) Cut into the strudel seven times. Don't cut through but go pretty deep. You want eight "slices" that are still connected. Pull the "slices" slightly left and right until you get a zig-zaggy thing. Brush the rest of the buttermilk on the bread, then put it in the hot oven for about 40 minutes. If your oven is a bit overheating prone like mine you should check on it like ten minutes early just to make sure the bottom doesn't burn.
    Take it out and be strong because it will smell super good but it needs to cool for 20 minutes. Seriously. Self-Control is a virtue.

Tastes good with cream-cheese dips, but also with tomatoes and stuff.

oh god it tastes so good I can't stop eating I'm already too full send help.

10. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I just cooked and I'm really excited!!

I made a pot of rice, and this thing we call "sausage with sauce" because we're creative like that.
    It's just kielbasa sausage, tomato sauce, onions, and sofrio (seasoning), but it's super tasty =3

Also it used up the sausage I had sitting in the freezer which I was going to have to get to this semester anyways.

• Like x 3
  11. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

that sounds pretty tasty actually!

• Like x 1
  12. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

My blog is part community supported agriculture cooking blog, so I like posting pictures and recipes.

Buuut sometimes you get depressed and don't cook for... I dunno, 3 months? Then on a really bad brain day you get mad and make something based on the back of a stuffing box you saw out of the corner of your eye using random crap you scavenged from the back of your fridge and cupboards. This is their story.

[​IMG]

1 box of stuffing
    1/2 onion, chopped
    2 cans of stewed tomatoes WITH juice, do not discard the juice
    1/2 stick of butter or an amount of olive oil, do what you want
    1 package of chicken sausages, sliced however
    an amount of basil, let's go with 2 tablespoons
    as much garlic as you have the patience for, chopped

Literally mix all of that shit together and put it in a baking dish of your choice. Bake it at 350 for, I don't know, 30-45 minutes. It depends on how cooked you want the onions.

I actually only used one can of tomatoes but that was a mistake. If you only want to use one can of tomatoes, add a half cup of water or broth.

If you remember to saute the onions and garlic in the butter or olive oil before mixing all that shit together then more power to you because that's meant to be the process for this type of dish. Oops. Actually, sauteing the chicken sausages a bit along with that stuff would be good too. But if you're fucking done with everything the saute step is entirely skip-able.

Consume. Don't burn your tongue like an asshole, that shit hurts.

Prep time: 1 episode of Welcome To Night Vale
    Cook time: 30-45 minutes

Taste: It's actually really good. If I made something like this again I'd add some red pepper flakes to give it a kick, but it's very savory and satisfying. I want to mix it with mashed potatoes. Or CHEESE mashed potatoes. :d

This has been Grumpy Cooking with Beldaran.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    • Like x 3
  13. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Stuff like that's really good to show that there are things you can cook even on fairly bad brain days. Things where you can just toss an assortment of things in with just a couple key ingredients, not have to take too much care, bake for a pretty easily measured and rough amount of time, and have a dinner for a few people.

14. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

I do a lot of "saute veggies and maybe some shrimp in butter/wine/garlic, add spoonful of pasta sauce of some kind, add krab/sausage/fakemeat crumbles/pre-cooked chicken if no shrimp, dump on pasta." Tonight I didn't feel like dicking around with the pasta but had shrooms and spinach that needed cooked, so I just sliced up some baby bella mushrooms and put them in the pot with the butter/wine/garlic, added two huge handfuls of baby spinach, plopped the lid on the pot and let it simmer down while I peeled shrimp, chucked in the shrimp, and mixed in a spoonful of cream cheese and cooked til the shrimp were just pink. I didn't even miss the pasta.

• Like x 3
  15. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i am so excited, my mom is cooking a pork leg in mojo all day, low and slow in the oven, and making black beans, rice, and fried plantains on the side for my brother's birthday!

hmmm maybe i should think about a tres leches cake too. i wonder if i have all the ingredients.

• Like x 3
  16. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Oh, that sounds absolutely delicious.

My plan for later is knockoff steak stroganoff.

17. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I'm making a sort of stew with some stuff that's knocking about my freezer.

18. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

BACON. BEER. CHEESE. SOUP. Holy shit you guys it's SO GOOD, you don't even know. I've made it a few times now and it just gets better and better, it has a nice spice to it (I use cayenne pepper, but I found 1.25 teaspoons of it was a bit too much for my parents since they are not lovers of spice like I am). 3/4 of a teaspoon gives it a nice kick without being overpowering, I think! I also make cake pops occasionally (outside of my niece's birthday though, haven't done it for ages), though it looks like I forgot to take pictures of the most recent ones, UGH. They were watermelons with eyeballs.

• Like x 2
  19. IvyLB

Anyone care to post their favorite cheeses? I love cheese and I'd like to know which kinds y'all dig
    I love gorgonzola which is stinky but so good. Cheddar and Appenzellar are pretty good for sandwhiches and sauces. Feta is real nice, like my favorite 'eat without anything' cheese, Mozzarella is always good for melted cheese things.
    I love camembert covered in breadcrumbs and baked *3*
    There is also a very nice mild goat cheese that melts nicely for everything with melted cheese on top (like lasagna and stuff)

• Like x 1
  20. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

My current guilty cheese pleasure is this bacon cheeseburger cheese that's showed up in the fancy-cheese cooler at my grocery store. It's "processed cheese food" but it looks like a real cheese and it has bacon in it.

I love feta and bleu and cotija for stuff that needs crumbly cheese, and asiago and goat cheese on pasta and pizza, and havarti in grilled cheese sandwiches, and cheddar on anything, and just ...cheese. Goddamn I love cheese.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice