FOOD THREAD

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Rongeur, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

ITT post about foods you like. Doesn't matter if it's trashy or healthy, out of a can or fancy as hell, homemade or takeout, an old standard or a weirdass improvisation.
    Just talk about the things that make you happy to eat, and why you like them. :3

2. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Suuuuuuushi, omg sushi. Little bright vinegar-y maki with avocado or cucumber, nigiri with sweet tamago, and salty-warm miso soup. Bitter, nutty green tea. Lazy-day onigiri with those little purple pickles in wrapped in nori.

Fuck I'm hungry. I should buy rice.

• Like x 1
  3. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

i got myself karahi lamb yesterday - basically a lamb curry with lots of spices, ginger, peppers, and tomatoes. i only got to eat a couple bites of it because it was still pretty hot and then i had to get back to work, but it was very good!

then i forgot it at work and now i want to eat it but i can't. :( hopefully no one threw it out.

• Like x 2
  4. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

Kentucky legend ham on sourdough bread with a little Miracle Whip and whatever greens I find in my garden.

5. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

A childhood favorite: Marmite on toast. For the uninitiated, Marmite is a thing that British people put on toast. It is dark brown, has a salty/"meaty" taste, and is considered "yeast extract". It's made from the byproducts of brewing beer. It is extremely polarizing; it's one of those "love it or hate it" things. Useful to give extra body to a beefy soup mix, but it's considered vegetarian and vegan since neither group considers yeast or grains to be prohibited. Hot toast with butter is the ideal thing to spread it on; it should be relatively thinly, even I, an addict, spread it way thinner than jam or peanut butter.

I spent at least a year of my childhood refusing to eat anything else. And it had to be on a specific plate that was the color of Marmite. Autistic? Me? Nah, couldn't be.

6. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

I've gotta' try Marmite. That sounds like a flavor profile I would love. Plus I'm always looking for something to beef up the taste of my homemade soups.

7. Morven

There's also the Aussie version, Vegemite. Similar in many ways, but it contains malt as well as the yeast extract.

8. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

Ahaha my mum loves Marmite. I'm actually... to break the stereotype... kind of neutral on it myself!
    My current favourite thing that I know I can make any time with almost anything is a kind of omelette where I basically throw a bunch of things in a frying pan until they are to my satisfaction and then pour beaten egg over the top of it all. It works with lots of things and is incredibly easy and has a very inoffensive texture and an easily customisable taste.

• Like x 4
  9. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

I always feel strangely smug and self-righteous after I make and eat an omelet.

• Like x 2
  10. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I sea your sushi and raise you an uni.

• Like x 1
  11. Morven

That's one of the sushi I can't stand, but I'm glad it's someone else's favorite; you can have my share.

12. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

I usually make veggie or cooked sushi cause i can't be assed to be as careful or quick about things as raw fish demands. But thats taaaaasty.<3

You like ahi?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  13. Morven

My favorite sushi is saba (mackerel)

• Like x 2
  14. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

I just ate one of those marshmallowy coconutty pink snowball cakes that are both delicious and gross at the same time. It was wonderful.

• Like x 1
  15. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

that's funny, i was craving one of those the other day. fortunately the urge passed before i could get my hands on any.

16. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

it's not really a food but... i love mandarin flavored jarritos soda. it's funny though because i can't stand any other orange sodas. i actually really like a lot of the mexican "street" foods too. churros and esquites being very near the top of the list :) :) :).

• Like x 1
  17. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Oh man, I was in Hawaii over the winter for my grandparent's 60th (I think?) anniversary, and I had So Much ahi. So much. Usually with wasabi (like actual wasabi, not dyed horseradish with a bit of wasabi powder) and/or avocado. It was great.

• Like x 2
  18. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

chocolate mousse royale from baskin robbins is my absolute fave
    unfortunately for most of you guys it is not available in the usa, i'm pretty sure
    (i live in canada, for reference)
    but like yeah it's awesome

my "weird ass improvisation" is salmon soup, which is essentially canned sockeye salmon in mushroom soup

the rest of the stuff i eat is salmon, t-bone steak on the bone, dark chocolate, chocolate chips, a few other forms of chocolate, icing (but not cookies or cake) and pediasure (a drink but it's like food for me)

maybe a few more things i haven't thought of but not much more

my diet's really limited 'cause sensory system...

i like having salt on meat and fish but no other toppings on stuff
    just plain with salt

also, marmite sounds good, the way @Morven describes it, but... i don't like bread (which, with my sensory system, haha, means i don't eat bread) so i dunno how well that'd work

i also tried honey and liked it once but once again, bread is a problem there...

yeah... now you know what i eat

• Like x 1
  19. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Do you like apples? Honey on apples is pretty great.
    @Morven

20. Morven

I also like eating Marmite on sliced medium to sharp Cheddar, for what it's worth. I do not guarantee that anyone else on earth would like this, but I do.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice