Fool's Dawn

Discussion in 'The Queen of Cups' started by Zin, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Mutt

Mutt Active Member

Mutt stares at the scene around them; everything is so much more defined and beautiful than their Keeper's land had ever been. They get the feeling that every part of this land was made and maintained specifically and exactly for its purpose, something that their Keeper had never bothered with.

It's perfect. That's the only word they can find for it. They smile a crooked little smile, and after a few moments it turns into a grin.

2. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

"Listen, if there's anything you don't like to eat, I hope you learn to like it quick." The woman at Mutt's side mumbles. "Anyway. I'm Legion, and this is Even," she motions to the smouldering eyes looking out from the dark hollow of her collarbones. "We're your new story troupe. We'll show you the ropes and get you acquainted with everything you need... don't you worry..."

3. Mutt

Mutt Active Member

"Story troupe?" Mutt asks. Everything is happening all at once and they're not sure they understand any of it. "I'm not worried. It seems nice here."

4. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

"You're part of the cast of our stories. You get to play a part and help tell a story for our Queen."

5. Mutt

Mutt Active Member

Mutt nods. "Okay. But - I don't know any stories."

6. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

"That's fine. We'll be making them as we go." Legion smiles wide. "You'll be the central star of the next one."

7. Mutt

Mutt Active Member

"I will?" Mutt tilts their head to the side.

8. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

"You will," the woman grins, flashing all of her teeth. "But first... we're going to feast, to celebrate all the new players who are joining us from the ruined lands you hail from. Isn't that wonderful? I'm sure there will be plenty of sweets, too..."

9. Mutt

Mutt Active Member

Mutt bounces up and down excitedly. "Yeah!" It is wonderful. It's incredible. A feast! And sweets!

10. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

The heavy doors to the hall slowly swing open of their own volition, a long, drawn-out creak accompanying the movement. The shimmering, glowing ivy that has grown across them, clings to the wood, blooming beautifully as they step into the doorway, the opening buds showering the air with little firefly-like stars that drift with the breeze.

Legion’s hand is a strong pressure on the small of Mutt’s back, urging them forwards into the bustle that’s revealed within the hall. There’s a myriad number of people moving within it, some of whom are small, gnarled, and squat creatures, scuttling around and carrying trays and other indiscernable items.

The smells, though, the smells are fantastic, sweet pies, perfect steaks, a whole roast beast of some kind upon the table, apple in its' mouth, the whole table that stretches out of Mutt's sight stuffed to bursting with delicious food...

11. Mutt

Mutt Active Member

Mutt's jaw drops. This is the most food they've seen in years, and the smells nearly overwhelm them. They can't remember the last time they smelled anything nearly this delicious. Their eyes widen with each passing seconds and their stomach growls.

"Can I -?" they ask Legion, not quite believing their senses.

12. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

"That's why we're here, Mutt. The feast is in honor of you and the others who are joining our little family. Dig in."

Legion gives them another push, chuckling under their breath.

One of the twisted servers comes over with a tray of fizzy, strong-smelling drinks and sweets, holding it towards Mutt.

13. Mutt

Mutt Active Member

Mutt takes a sweet and pops it in their mouth, then another. They take a drink and sip at it as they move closer to the table, trying bits of everything they can reach. The glass never seems to quite empty no matter how much they drink, but they can't see anyone refilling it. After some time, everything is fuzzy and Mutt sits down suddenly, overwhelmed by the events of the day. Tears start to roll down their face and soon they're sobbing over how beautiful the feast is and that they can eat any of it and that they're here now and they're not alone anymore.

• Like x 1
  14. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

A glowing little sprite hovers nearby, giggling at the sound of Mutt's sobs. The creature darts closer to try and catch one of the tears rolling down their cheek, a tiny porcelain cup held in both hands.

Legion is lingering nearby, slowly nibbling the meat from the one of the smaller legbones of the massive roast beast, watching thoughtfully.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  15. Mutt

Mutt Active Member

Mutt bats ineffectively at the creature, unable to touch it. They try to move away, but almost as soon as they stand up they tip over again. They blink, then try to get their balance and get upright. Nothing works.

16. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

The little sprite empties her cup, darting forwards again to fill it back up.

Legion laughs quietly. "Never you mind the little vulture. They'll leave you be once your tears have dried. Be still, or you'll get them swarming, Mutt."

17. Mutt

Mutt Active Member

Mutt looks up at her, worried. "I cas -" they start, then go slowly so they don't trip over the words. "I can't stand up." They're already leaning over to the side again.

18. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

"That's alright, you don't need to stand. Are you hungry?" Legion saunters over to crouch down and brush a lock of hair from Mutt's face.

19. Mutt

Mutt Active Member

"No," Mutt says, realizing they aren't. It's an odd feeling, and new. "But my head feels funny."

20. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

"That's normal. Don't let it worry you, Mutt. It's meant to be fun. You want to be fun, don't you? You don't want to ruin the party by not finding the fun in things, do you? Just think of how sad the Queen would be..."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice