FOR SCIENCE!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Feb 23, 2015.

1. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

2. BaseDeltaZero

In other, mildly interesting news.

That's sure an attention-grabbing number in the title.

• Informative x 1
  3. raydelblau

raydelblau the giant rat who makes all of the rules

if anyone here keeps up with science drama and statistical malfeasance, big news: niels birbauer, one of the big name neuroscientists working on brain computer interface communication tools for patients who are completely paralyzed, committed serious academic misconduct (two links). the way his team analyzed the data, their results all but had to be statistically significant.

so that's a huge disappointment for BCI communication research, but not the end of the world, since amazing studies like this one, in which adrien owen's team uses fMRI to demonstrate conscious awareness in someone assumed to be in a vegetative state, still seem to hold up. check out owen's work if you haven't already. it's astounding.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    • Informative x 2
  4. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

My favorite science fun fact because I was reminded recently: The researchers who discovered the cannabinoid neurotransmitter Anandamide named it that from the Sanskrit word for happiness because that's what they felt when they discovered and confirmed it and if that's not absolutely the cutest shit ever I don't know what is.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  6. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

7. BaseDeltaZero

The BBC Eyewitness series is apparently available on Youtube. I... I suppose that isn't really science news, but those tapes were my JAM as a kid.

Sadly some of the videos seemed to be blocked... by the BBC. Despite being posted by the BBC.
    Oh, U-tub.

8. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

• Winner x 1
  9. BaseDeltaZero

Elon Musk, way back in 2017, Did His Thing, thus necessitating someone else (in this case no Perdue university and no less than Buzz Aldrin) do some very interesting feasibility studies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice