For the Honor of Greyskull - A She-Ra and the Princesses of Power Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by KarrinBlue, Nov 8, 2018.

1. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

no i think she does love and trust glimmer quite a lot. she's also just overprotective, cause, you know. the horde killed her husband. glimmer's vouching, combined with adora's own apparent earnestness, is enough to get adora in the door, but if adora actually does sell them out, or let glimmer down, then angella is going to be pissed both as the leader of the rebellion and as glimmer's mother. and also i think angella and everyone in the rebellion is quite aware that adora and she ra are the same person?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  2. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

The identity-fracturing was in reference to Angella being a queen and a mother. Heck, just being a mother to a teen at that stage is like a war between treating your baby as someone who needs protection and seeing the person who needs to be who they are with the full force of the wind testing their roots in the ground. Sorry for the metaphor, but I'm not sure how to express that. Something intern?

3. Hawkeguy

Hawkeguy struggling to complete this thought

YOOO guess who watched the first ep awhile ago! gonna continue today cos i have some free time, i really love the tone of this series, right in between high fantasy and lovingly goofy!
    glimmer is my favourite so far, i'd start yelling and hurling balls of glitter at a giant murder-insect too if i saw one. and by the skies she tries so hard to impress her mum, precious child

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  4. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

I watched the first 2 eps! I love these smol idiot children, they are trying their best. They really did get the "they are kids" part right.

Also Adora/Catra, wow they should kiss

• Agree x 5
  5. Athol Magarac

Okay, she hasn't hit her final growth spurt, so she's at a stage where still having her baby-fat is perfectly normal/healthy/natural and not something that she should consciously do anything about. Lean kids are also normal/healthy/natural if they're allowed to self-regulate. Glimmer's power is like a battery where she casts from hit-points when she gets low. It doesn't burn calories as far as I can tell, and her reliance on her powers instead of walking puts her activity level pretty low.

6. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

Also, can we talk about Adora's reaction to the village and to the horse? Bc I love her so much and I'm so excited to see her looking at the world beyond the evil empire for the first time.

• Like x 1
  7. KarrinBlue

Glimmer is a perfectly healthy build for her age. She would also be perfectly healthy with this build as an older teen, and as an adult. The original She-Ra gave absolutely everyone the same body type to make it easier to sell toys and it's amazing that the new show decided to actually make a diverse (in so many ways) cast.

In other words. If you want to talk about how it would be a problem for every character to not be stick thin, but for these extenuating circumstances, please find somewhere else to do it. Either way, don't do it here.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  8. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

Yeah @Athol Magarac, no one wants to hear people complaining about the characters' weight, especially from you. Make a thread for the derail if you must, but keep that out of this thread.

• Agree x 1
  9. Hawkeguy

Hawkeguy struggling to complete this thought

re: different body types - they make for way more interesting character designs than the dusty 80s sameface fare, that's just simple art theory. high time a cartoon did this with all of it's mains, i'm so stoked about just how recognizeable each and every character looks! there's so much love and attention to detail put into this show and i'm living for it.

edit: come to think of it, glimmer seems like a sparkly hobbit to me, which is objectively the most hella concept ever.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    • Agree x 5
  10. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

pfff tbh Sparkly Hobbit Glimmer is basically the best concept ever

someone please draw her in Hobbit gear

11. Athol Magarac

I would have thought that it had more to do with the rotoscoping and footage-reuse.

12. Athol Magarac

Yeah, it's weird, but it's growing on me.

13. KarrinBlue

Yes, the show had everyone be the exact same body type because that made a lot of things easier on them. On the toy front, it meant they could reuse the same models over and over again with minimal changes. On the animation front, it meant they could reuse certain kinds of footage or rotoscoping. And so on. Which means that it's great that now the show has different body types for everyone.

14. KarrinBlue

OK I love this

Man I wish they could do a crossover short. Even just a minute long one would be cool!

• Winner x 1
  15. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

So much discourse about Catra... I love and adore her. I Adora her.

(Also Catradora hits a lot of things i like... I'm eating it up)

• Agree x 1
  16. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

This is really cute and lovely so far. Watched the first three episodes of it. I never saw much of She-Ra itself because I just...haven't. I only ever really looked into original He-Man a tiny bit because I really liked the 2002 cartoon. And She-Ra I've seen even less of than original He-Man! Anyway...I do like that the new series seems to be as unabashedly girl focused as the original. Complete with the world's best reaction to a horse. Ever. Hands down. And it has designs that aren't just the same modified Barbie dolls for cost reasons which is cool! I will say I mourn the loss of Bow's mustache and abs though. I get new Catra design in exchange though...Also kind of miss just how...80's the original designs were. 80's cartoon character designs are...They got an aesthetic flair. Like yeah 80's Cheetara looks like kind goofy but the dumb 80's hair and leotard just Makes Her Look.

World design and vehicle design I am really digging too! Masters of the Universe has a really fun mix of tech levels and fantasy sci-fi and they're doing some really nice stuff with the general concept in this new show. And I love how Sailor Moon inspired some bits of it are? That stuff just feels kind of right at home with the concept, I feel.

Away from design shit...

catra/adora is like

the actual best

catra in general is just the best

• Agree x 3
  17. KarrinBlue

catra is fascinating and i can't wait to see how they take her character arc. and her backstory! i mean maybe it's just that she was another orphan stolen by the horde, but i wonder....

In Princess Prom, she has that little rant when she's convincing Scorpia to come stick it to the Woman with her
    ...so, in that. Catra still hasn't really met any of the princesses herself. The first thing she could've said because it's a reasonable jump from what Scorpia said but... I'm pretty sure she's talking about herself, if not the entire time, then definitely by those last two. But then, in the second bit, who is she talking about? Because I'm pretty sure she doesn't mean Adora - who tried to get her to come with her, and who she's anyways clearly talking about in the third bit - but what other princess could she mean? Was Catra abandoned by someone for not fitting into their perfect little life, and that's how she got picked up by the Horde?

• Informative x 1
  18. Aondeug

Saw Princess Prom tonight. It literally almost fucking killed me. In other news Catra pings as very relatable for things as a person with BPD.

Speaking of why she pings as relatable for someone with BPD, personally the big sword ladies comment I read as still definitely being about Adora. Yes, Adora offered to let her come with. Yes, Catra might be able to state as much at times. But I don't really think that she was capable of it in that moment. Is it counter to facts? Yes. Yes it is. But that's Not How It Feels and How It Feels is 'She abandoned me'. So 'She abandoned me' overwrites 'She asked me to go with her' entirely in terms of facts and reality, even if for just that brief moment. Other princesses meanwhile I personally read as...We see them training and emphasis is put repeatedly on how princesses specifically are the enemy. So while she might not have met other princesses herself and she might not know that, say, Glimmer is one and the Bow isn't one the enemy side can reasonably get pinged as Princesses for a time. Especially if you're very emotionally compromised.

That conversation read basically exactly the same as conversations I've had with people during splits. Complete with the heavy levels of focus on a Key Issue, the one here being abandonment. It gets mentioned repeatedly in the scene and in a punctuated black and white fashion. As a teen she's not someone who could be diagnosed with BPD, but some of the shit she does and what she seems hurt by read very much like shit I do and shit I am hurt by. So she's a very easy character to project upon, like seen here!

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  19. Aondeug

tfw you have 'yeah i'd probably throw you down that pit too and leave in a bitchy, mocking huff about how much better i am without you' feels

• Like x 1
  20. Aondeug

tfw you're having 'HAH. your punishment has taught me to be a FUCK WHO IS STRONG AND BETTER THAN YOU AND GOD I HATE YOU' feels

• Like x 4
    • Witnessed x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice