Forum Emoji Request Thread: By vaguely popular request.

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by Snitchanon, Mar 29, 2016.

1. mcsiggy

mcsiggy Is actually a small floof ball on top of a cow

omg, if you want i can make it again but not as me? and ill post it here :0

• Like x 3
  2. mcsiggy

• Like x 9
  3. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Aaaaaa, that looks fantastic! Thank you!

4. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

• Like x 6
  5. mcsiggy

[​IMG]
    Decided to make a new lil ecroji (emoji cro?) u3u

• Like x 12
  6. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Iiiiiii don't know how this part of the forum works, really. But I am in love with this reaction image and can think of many places where it would be a useful thing to have.

This Never Happened.jpg

• Like x 6
  7. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i think maybe we should have a conversation about what constitutes an emoji. a lot of reaction images are, imo, too big and complex to be emoji. like, do we want 400x400 image macros mixed in with :toot: or not? i'm leaning toward not. but maybe instead a reaction image thread where folks can grab stuff they think they might use.

• Like x 6
  8. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

We've got one, actually.

• Like x 2
  9. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

maybe we should sticky it. @seebs any reason i shouldn't?

• Like x 4
  10. swirlingflight

I get a happy warm feeling in my heart every time I anticipate a thing like that :')

/softly brags into the sunset

• Like x 2
  11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Can we add this lil guy?

• Like x 10
  12. swirlingflight

oh man let me clean up the pixels and add to the tail first

• Like x 4
  13. swirlingflight

that's an emote i found on plurk, and adjusted slightly so it didn't have a white background or white edges, but we have the power to do slightly more than 48 pixels if we like

plus i don't have its original whole version

so i went scoping out free clip art of deer, and consider:

tealdeeremote.png

there are so many deer silhouettes with different postures and apparent moods

what would work best?

• Like x 5
  14. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

i like top-right ("this grass is more interesting than whatever you wrote") and bottom-right ("really, Susan?") the most. honourable mention goes to the second from the left on the second row, for being a slightly more passive/more confused version of bottom-right.

• Like x 6
  15. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I like the second one from the right in the top row, and the first one from the left in the second row.

• Like x 1
  16. swirlingflight

eating grass and prancy dance are two of my faves too tbh

• Like x 1
  17. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I'm honestly liking the little original guy most.

• Like x 3
  18. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I like the deer havin a snack

• Like x 1
  19. swirlingflight

I'm gonna make all the ones people express interest in, including fixing the cropped edge of the original, and stick them all in my archive thread.

20. swirlingflight

TL;DR Progress report on the teal deer

[​IMG] this little guy is the emote as i originally saw it on plurk

i have pet peeves against odd cropping (the tip of the tail! the tip of the antler!) and having redundant background colors (plurk is white by default, so i had never realized it had that until i went to post it here)

so my first thought was to force it to transparency by selecting and deleting all the white in the image, and get rid of the resulting pale edges by inverting the values so it would look more like a dark outline.

that made the little guy quoted in here:

[​IMG]

which honestly, look at all those pixel elements. that was a rush job and i'm cringing. it's gotta be fixed.

messing around in my art program, i considered that my pet peeves re: cropping and backgrounds don't seem to bug me if and when the image has boundaries! so a consideration,

[​IMG] the original with a 1 pixel border

somehow my brain parses that as like a window or a painting, and then, either way, it's fine that the framing crops things out of sight and the background's different.

but

i already went and found that image of other ones

and the benefit of all those different deer is that they convey different sorts of feelings to go with the tl;dr!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] "i stopped listening and started eating grass because your long-winded speech is so boring"

[​IMG] "really, susan? you think i care this much?"

[​IMG] "you've been talking so long that there's a football field of words between us"

[​IMG] "you need to stop"

[​IMG] "if you keep talking i'll keep walking. right on outta here..."

[​IMG] deer in the headlights, frozen in shock and surprise at how the words just keep coming

so that brings me to the questions of (A) SIZING and (B) PLACEMENT

with all of these example ones, i tried to keep them somewhere between 50 and 125 pixels; not too small, not too large to be emotes rather than reaction images. i've got the originals saved and can easily change them up.

i think "really susan" works well as it is, the letters are legible but not too big, they're at the lower corner so the majority of the emote is the judging deer, staring at the speaker. i might wanna move the tl;dr down a pixel or two, because the R feels too close to the top, but other than that it's good.

i like the way the passive staring deer is smaller and almost perfectly centered in the body, it adds to that sense of... inertia? motionlessness?

and i like how prancydance is done so the letters are at the top, like the deer is daintily stepping over the garbage of the tl;dr words

the others i'm not too sure of, and with all of these i kept to the pattern of the original emote: teal deer, TL;DR deleted out of it. but that's not the only option.

edits for typos and adding a clarifying sentence here or there

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    • Like x 9
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice