Founding Father Fandom: Hamilton

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by prismaticvoid, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

What a shame.

2. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

Good job, Burr. You're a mess.

Listening to Dear Theodosia makes me sad because I just remember that both parents outlive those children. Hamilton had other children, but I don't remember if Burr did. But still. ;-;

3. Elph

By contrast, Hamilton's father actually outlived him.

4. Birdy

Birdy so long

I was kind of soured on Hamilton cause I figured out that it was far from perfect but hey! I'm trying to be a fan again! Score one for not thinking in black and white

• Like x 5
  5. Elph

Yes! It's much more rewarding that way.

• Like x 1
  6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Question, at the end of "we know" when burr says "we both know what we know" is that supposed to be taken as a reference to him and theodosia?

7. Elph

Huh; I never thought of it that way. I don't think Burr would want to bring that up while threatening Hamilton, though.

• Like x 1
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I hadnt read it as threatening, it just seemed like he was saying "im not gonna bring it up because you have similar career threatening dirt on me and it would basically just be a huge unnecessary shitstorm"

• Like x 3
  9. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i dont think that theodosia would really be dirt? she was married to a british officer which was dangerous for her and burr during the war, but after the war im not so sure if it would be an issue? like after the war, i dont think being seen as patriotic enough to betray your british allied husband would be a bad thing

• Like x 4
  10. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I just assumed the "we were seeing each other while she was married to someone else" thing mightve been a pretty big deal still, but yeah it could be written off as patriotism. I hadnt thought of that

• Like x 2
  11. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i always interpreted it as "we both know what you did, what you do next is up to you"

• Like x 7
  12. panplatonic

panplatonic Arby's Witch

Huh, I feel like Theodosia was kind of a plot point more than anything to showcase Burr's inner ambitions, thus moving his character forward and stopping him from stagnating in a way? Cus when Theodosia is introduces she's kind of the catalyst for "Wait For It." idk if I'm right on that front but I always saw her as a piece to make Burr have more depth and move his development along. (Not to say ppl couldn't make their own interpretation of her!)

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Did washington dislike burr? Theres only so much i can divulge from the soundtrack and im not that good at that in the first place.

14. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

@Deresto like historically or in the show? Idk about historically but the main thing I pick up from the show is that Washington didn't super trust him. I think he was trying too hard to get on Washington's good side.

• Informative x 3
  15. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Ye i did mean in the show, thanks

16. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

Burr and Washington have like... One direct interaction in the musical? And he basically shows up like, "Hey Washington your strategy is shit, let me help, I was a Captain once." And Washington's like, "Did I fucking ask???"

• Like x 3
  17. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

But he said he liked washingtons strategy? Was he being facetious

18. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

Iiii read it as facetiousness 'cause he was like "I have a couple of suggestions on how to fight instead of fleeing west", like he was saying "you keep making the army retreat and that's dumb"

But I could be misinterpreting?

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  19. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Yeah, my read was basically him walking in and going 'hey, i, who have less military experience than you, know better than you what we should be doing, let me tell you why, also I heard you had an opening for a Right Hand Man' which irritated Washington because, that's kinda rude!

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  20. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

Historically Washington did snub Burr and Burr was super bitter about it if I remember right

• Informative x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice