Founding Father Fandom: Hamilton

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by prismaticvoid, Jan 24, 2016.

1. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

I'm sure there was one, at least one, historical geek who was really focused on American revolutionary history before this and already considered Hamilton and his contemporaries their sons, and when the musical dropped it was just mana from heaven, and I'm jealous of that person. But yeah the rest of us care because LMM told us to care and here we are

• Like x 8
  2. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

so earlier today i remembered this one sort-of-news tumblr (probably Mic) unintentionally spread some misinformation about how some production or other was looking for female Burrs and Washingtons. it turned out to be a misinterpretation of something or other, but thinking about that led me to thinking, what if female Hamilton? or what if we just flip the character and not just the casting, and so we have Lesbian Hamilton No I Dont Care If Its Weird Because Hes A Historical Figure (TM)

and then i just had to stare into space in the middle of making lunch because now hamilton/eliza is Hella Gay and i'm easily dazzled if u just add lesbians/wlw
    and suddenly the last bit of act 2 turns into Old Gay Lady Hamilton Makes A Bunch Of Mistakes But Damn She Loves Eliza, Tragic Romansu, and anyway, i just thought i'd leave it here even though i feel weird about writing any sort of fic for the musical (because they were real historical people i guess?)

• Like x 1
  3. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I read a headcanon somewhere about trans dudes Aaron Burr and Hamilton, too.

4. VintageBear

VintageBear Active Member

Im glad I found this.

I've been obsessed with the album for a solid month now, ever since my sister played "My Shot" in her car when she picked me up at the airport when I visited her in early March.
    We listened to the rest of the album over the course of my visit and I FELL DEEPLY IN LOVE, and I thought I wouldn't because the only other musical I really like all that much is RENT???

I think I am starting to annoy some of my friends with how often I talk about it :P

• Like x 2
  5. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA ON LAST WEEK TONIGHT

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

• Like x 5
  6. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

things i learned today: the McElroy bros, of My Brother, My Brother, And Me as well as Polygon, are fans of LMM and Hamilton. LMM is also a fan of MBMBaM, and so he snuck in at least one reference:

dang.jpg

(from a tweet) and uh apparently there's a book with like, annotations? i also just found out abt it today wow, i'm kinda handflapping over here

• Like x 6
  7. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

The Hamiltome!

• Like x 2
  8. leitstern

In other news I now FINALLY understand the original context of this post. I can't decide if it was funnier when I had no idea or if it's funnier now that I have one.

210 slutty, slutty years

• Like x 5
  9. VintageBear

Aw man. I followed ONE tumblr user who got really obsessed with Hamilton really quickly, but for some unGODLY REASON did not check out the OBC when it dropped.

But I've seen this post and was so confused??? Because why was tumblr suddenly getting raving mad over something that happened 200-some-odd years ago?

Then when I went to see my sister in March and listened to the soundtrack for the first time, and at one point witnessing my sister drunkenly wailing in distress when "Say No To This" came on the car radio (she was in the backseat at the time, her boyfriend was driving after my sister and I had way too many margaritas during happy hour at a mexican restaurant) and yelling out "NO! THIS SONG IS ABOUT CHEATING! CHANGE IT!", I suddenly bust out laughing because I remembered that post in my own drunken stupor.

I still laugh about how funny it is in a "this came out of literally nowhere" kind of way.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    • Like x 2
  10. garden

garden lucid dreamer

Does anyone know what the connection between John Laurens and turtles is? Because it keeps cropping up in one form or another in fanfic, and I'm curious - is it based off of something IRL, or is it just a fandom in-joke/meme?

(I'm also curious about the trend in Ham fic of portraying Lafayette as nonbinary, at least in modern AUs. I mean, I do like it, but it's quite common and that makes me curious as to what the cause is, if there is any. Did Ham fandom just collectively decide Laf would be our NB babe?)

11. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

I can answer this! When John Laurens was a teenager, he contributed some illustrations of turtles to the journal Philosophical Transactions - let me find you a link. Here you go.

• Like x 2
  12. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

HELP ME

• Like x 4
  13. leitstern

I don't think my body has ever been more confused than it is now, as it tries to process Daveed Diggs acting the role of Judge Turpin

no!! y...yes?? yes! no?? yehahahaghhhhhhhh

• Like x 3
  14. blue

blue hightown funk you up

I COME BEARING FIC RECS

x Meta as hell theater afterlife fic - slightly anvilicious with its morals but all the little details are delightful

x Loooong slow-burn Burr/Hamilton.. witness protection AU? Look, it's really good, all the dialogue is spot-on, the author's Jefferson is lovely and eminently punchable. Alex does make some fidelity-related bad decisions similar (in form if not in content) to in the musical, though.

x My favorite Burr/Hamilton fic, and also, the worst, in terms of... healthy relationships. Warning for dubcon and some homophobia.

x MUSICAL METAFIC NEED I SAY MORE

x Hamilton/everyone dream interlude... IN VERSE, WITH WORDPLAY.

• Like x 6
  15. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

"i wonder why i don't listen to 'the world was wide enough' more often?"

*5 minutes later, shaking and weeping* "oh right"

• Like x 9
  16. VintageBear

SAME!!! Once the sad piano part hits, I start crying and wonder "BURR WHY DIDNT YOU NOTICE THIS EARLIER AAAAAAAAA -sob"

Edit: Although the bittersweetness of the final track makes up for it. It makes me sad, but it also makes me feel proud for Eliza for taking up his pen and telling everyone's stories as well as make her own accomplishments like funding the Washington Monument and the orphanage.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    • Like x 4
  17. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

GOD my listening experience from "burn" onwards is just like, weeping, weeping, weeping, teary-eyed head bobbing 'cause "the election of 1800" is a jam and so is "your obedient servant", the calm before the storm, and then AN EMOTIONAL ATOMIC BOMB!! DEVASTATION!!! THE TEARS ARE BACK AND THEY'RE STRONGER THAN EVER!!

And then the final track provides emotional catharsis, leaving you drained and fragile and yet somehow emotionally fulfilled

this fuckin musical about old dead white guys is exhausting and beautiful and I love it so much.

• Like x 6
  18. VintageBear

I've long since reconciled that this musical is an amazing retelling/AU that paints most of the Founding Fathers as more palatable than the old white guys of our real history. Maybe I should have come to this revelation sooner, but I just....love everyone's personalities in the musical a TON and how everyone interacts with each other holy shit.

I would have killed to know how LMM would have depicted Alexander and Eliza naming their youngest child Philip after their eldest child. How emotional that would have been for them to do. The musical only ever mentions Philip and (presumably) their daughter Angelica (since philip mentions having a sister in his poem). aaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    • Like x 6
  19. leitstern

Screaming, hollering, slamming my flagon on the table as I heckle the actors.

• Like x 3
  20. leitstern

It's a bad day for me, kintsugijin. Things that would make it better: other people enjoying the workshop cast version of the musical's "Election of 1800" lyric, "and if you want to know who I promote/Jefferson has my vote."

I see why they tweaked the line, especially because a better but similar burn comes at the end of the verse, but I like the original version better.

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice