Freshwater Fish Keeping AMA!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Alska, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Ahhhh that sounds like such an incredible tank! I dont see any problems either, just be sure to get 2 female rams and one male, they do best that way so theres no mate competition

• Like x 2
  2. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

okay hi yes I have Questions about fish because I Like fish and someday when I actually have a place where I can have fish I want to but anyway
    1. is there a particular freshwater fish you would recommend as like, a good fish for a beginner with extremely little experience keeping fish
    2. where do you....get fish? like, are there fish breeders? do you drive to get the fish?

3. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

Ooh, thank you for the answers about the stands! For some reason I was thinking they were like... necessary/better or something. When I want to try to start a tank, I will keep an eye out for a sturdy table or something. Question, though-

I think I know what you're talking about here, but could you expand on this?

Right now I have a 10gal tank and some stuff for it, but I realized I would need larger tank for what I want, some glofish danios because oooh science, to be comfortable. But I also think it would be nice to have a betta in the 10 gal with some dwarf frogs...

4. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

1. Absolutely betta if you just want a single fish. They're generally beautiful, hardy, and can live very comfortably in a tank as small as 5 gallons(people say 2.5-3 gallons but i always reccomend a bit bigger for beginners bc its easier to control water parameters).
    2. I mean, it's really your choice? And dependant on your price range. You can get a betta from petsmart or petco if you want for a few dollars to $20. You'll be giving a fish a good home when they would have been likely to end up in a bowl, but petstore bettas are much likely to be more fragile overall and susceptible to disease. Personally, i say dont buy fish from the general tanks if you have the option not to, but you're not like some horrible person if you do or anything. I just worry a lot bc the tanks are all on the same water and stuff like ich is extremely contagious.
    You can also look for a dedicated aquarium store and check out their bettas- some still do the cup method, but more of them are setting up proper barracks and are importing bettas or buying them from better breeders. This is probably the optimal price vs. health option if you can find it. They're generally more pricey than a chain store, but are likely to live longer and be healthier. Also buy group fish from here if possible, after checking around their tanks and making sure you see no obviously sick fish. Again, still on all the same water system usually, but actual aquarium stores are generally more knowledgable how to take care of that.
    Finally, you can go the online route. Aquabid is great for bettas especially, but there are sections for all types of fish. If you're buying online you have to factor in shipping, and potentially the cost of an inbetween person to recieve your betta in the states before sending it over to you. I personally havent gone this route before, but i believe its a customs issue. They will also rebag your betta in clean water before sending it over to you. Keep in mind that shipping fish is. Expensive haha. And bettas online are likely to be for breeding/show unless otherwise specified. They're well taken care of though, and often exceptionally pretty. Other sites to check out in general are liveaquaria, and ebay(yes, ebay lol). You can also check if there are any local aquarium groups on fb- sometimes there are breeders on them, or people looking to rehome their fish.

• Like x 1
  5. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

I've actually never heard of putting foam under tanks. That may be for all glass aquariums- like, the ones that dont have a plastic rim around the bottom.

Do not frogs and betta please, it's not very fun for either of them. Both can get nipped by each other if the betta has long fins, and they can end up stealing each others food(mostly the betta will steal bc its faster). Please just pick one thing for the 10g.

6. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

Oh, I had read that they could be housed together if there was enough space and places for the frog to be secure. I will keep that in mind!

7. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

I mean they can, but it's not the best, and i think i would go for a 20 long rather than a 10g if i did it- you'll get the most out of either animal by keeping them in a species specific tank anyway. It's kind of like bettas and... Anything else, lol. Some people say they can be kept with shrimp, and some can, but others will find them to be a tasty snack. Some can be kept in a community tank, others will try to murder their tankmates. It's really dependent on the tempermant of the fish, and you cant always tell what they'll be like with others until you actually put them in.

• Like x 1
  8. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

FANCY AQUARIUM STORE IS OPENING FRIDAY HOLY SHIT IM GOING AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Is there any specific things people would like to see, picture-wise? They had an amazing saltwater store before but they just moved so they could have freshwater too. From what it sounds like the freshwater section will be focusing on things you cant get at chain stores- things like inverts, rarer fish, hopefully plants, etc. So if theres anything you'd like me to look for to show you guys, lemme know. If they have a proper betta set up i'll definitely take pics of that. In the saltwater section they had a lettuce nudibranch, snowflake eels, lionfish, different gobies and blennies... So many things.

• Like x 1
  9. chaoticArbiter

can please request pictures of any eels there
    I like eels. I don't know anything about what species there are or how to know which are which but I like eels they are cute and good
    .....also if there are any koi fish.....pictures of them would also be really awesome, please

10. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

omg any nudibranch(es? i?) i'd love to see!

that sounds so fun holy shit :D

11. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Eels are wonderful noodle babies, i agree. They probably wont be doing koi unfortunately, but if I ever go down to Sailfin i'll keep you in mind, i think they've got a small koi pond there.

Also yes!!! The one they had last time i went was called a lettuce nudibranch, and i tried to get pics but he was hiding behind the algae sheets they had stuck to the glass. Was nomming them c:
    as excited as i am though i realized i probably wont be going super soon due to scheduling conflicts and the fact that they arent open monday or tuesday.

• Like x 1
  12. chaoticArbiter

:D yay!! thank you c:
    ....also I didn't really know what a nudibranch was or looked like so I looked them up and
    oh my god
    I love them

• Like x 1
  13. artistformerlyknownasdave

• Like x 2
  14. chaoticArbiter

OH MY GOD IT'S TOO CUTE.

• Like x 1
  15. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

They are. The most precious invertebrate ever. I always just say nudibranch bc honestly sea slug just doesnt do them justice.
    image.jpeg
    This is very similar to the one i saw, but in the most delicate shade of blue instead of green. He was very smol, only about an inch long

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    • Like x 2
  16. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

I'll be honest, I'm not so keen about the saltwater side of the hobby b/c it all seems more likely to be sourced directly from the wild :/

Also I'm on my tablet so I cant double check just yet, but foam or corrugated plastic sheeting helps with keeping the glass from bowing under the weight of the water in case the wood underneath it is slightly warped by the weight of the whole thing :)

• Like x 1
  17. chaoticArbiter

a precious baby

18. artistformerlyknownasdave

beautiful lettuce

• Like x 1
  19. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

I don't blame you, but i know the guys opening the store at the very least grow their own corals and anenomes and such. I think a lot of wild sourcing is mainly because breeding in captivity is still very difficult with a lot of species, but i agree that they should at least be sourced responsibly.

• Like x 1
  20. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

IMHO I think if an animal can't be easily bred in captivity then its capture and husbandry should be left to experts, not every hobbiest with the wallet space and starry eyes at the #aesthetic :/ The obtaining from the wild should be tightly controlled, and I don't know why or how it's still allowed with marine reef aquaculture when wild reefs worldwide are suffering for it...

(Sorry, but fish rights are one of my hot-button topics - one of the reasons I lost interest in aquaculture as a whole is there seems to be very little care or measures in place to protect wild populations from the grabby hands of everyone who wants something rare and unusual in a tank at home, and it drives me crazy. At least with bettas and goldfish I KNOW they've been bred domestically for centuries and there's very little chance of a wild ecosystem being fucked up by their loss XD)

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice