"Gallows Humor"

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by Maya, May 30, 2020.

1. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I will agree that the way in which others have taken issue with things Seebs had said in the past have sometimes read as personal attacks and attempts to silence her, but in this particular case?

Look, I'm a dumb, golden-retriever-brained sperg that just wants everyone to get along and be friends, but even I could see that the post title was Not Appropriate.

Being able to read a room and respond to changing situational appropriateness is something that lot of us have trouble with and which has been a particular sticking point for Seebs. I do not think it is policing expression in any way to say, "hey, what you said was rude and hurtful. Don't do that." This thread is in TSM and not TCHGB specifically because it was a thread title that was a) made by someone who has, like it or not, positioned themself as a community leader, b) it upset multiple people, including those that don't usually take exception to things Seebs says and c) when that was expressed, Seebs dug their heels in rather than listened to the community.

This is less comparable to an open house than it is a community center. This isn't a private place that Seebs made for their benefit then invited people in, it's a public forum that they curate with intent that it be for and used by anyone at all that wants to. Community leaders need to always be receptive to feed back from their community or it stops being an open group and starts on the path of becoming a cult of personality.

• Agree x 9
  2. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

lizardlicks and latitans put it well, and I will also say that I am highly uncomfortable with the implication that calling out a racist "joke" for being, well, racist, is an attempt to morally rank or whatever. like, idk i'm not good with my words today but i and i dont think anyone here who has agreed with what i or anyone else in here has said thus far is trying to take some moral high ground here because it has nothing to do with that. i started the thread because i wasn't happy with the response to people rightfully calling out racism from the forum admin

• Agree x 4
  3. Ana Nimus

Ana Nimus Well-Known Member

is there really any point in trying to have this conversation if seebs isnt going to participate or acknowledge it?

4. Lizardlicks

I mean I assume they or at least other mods are still reading it and absorbing points even if they aren't currently responding.

5. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

yeah, and seebs hasn't been that active on here in a while. it sort of feels like they're only checking the site once every few days, though idk if that's actually the case. not responding immediately may just mean they're not around to see it, not that they're intentionally ignoring it. or maybe they have real life stuff going on that's more important than this.

• Agree x 3
  6. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

seebs or another mod is free to lock this thread if they see it fit if seebs does not wish to respond! however i can tell this is beginning to branch off into a broader discussion about forum culture again so i'd prefer it to stay open even if seebs doesn't give his input on the specific situation that spawned it, because this may be a discussion worth having

been a while since we had a slap fight on the front lawn

• Winner x 1
  7. Lizardlicks

It hasn't devolved to slapping yet...... Yet.

8. anthers

anthers sleepy

i don't think i've ever taken offense to smth seebs has said, i just tried to be helpful and had it subtly suggested i'm some sort of interloper who needs to be reminded of it

9. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

ftr, I'm reading it, I try to read everything posted in TSM

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 3
  10. Lizardlicks

There's no thank you rating so @spockandawe and @Chiomi thank you. I don't think it gets said often enough, but I, and I think a lot of other people here are very grateful for the work you mods do and the effort you put in from your own time.

• Agree x 12
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice