Garage bulletin board

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by HonestlyVan, Feb 16, 2020.

1. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

Lathework is great.

That's it, that's the update.

• Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. HonestlyVan

A great big irony is that a lot of the people who have been targeted by cringe culture and bullying in the past are much better at recognising when something is "cringe" than either the people who go "bullying people is good, actually" or the ones very loudly performing an anti-cringe culture position (when those aren't coming from the same person)

They just know to be cautious about pointing out when someone is acting incongruous, because for them, cringe/social cache/respectability is not a matter of self-loathing but of actual, existant power dynamics.

3. HonestlyVan

Vindictive little thought I have any time someone goes "don't interact with x their call out post said xyz about them" -- make a call out post that similarly says xyz about someone perpetuating wank like that and just have all the links point to an empty HTML doc that just says "don't believe everything you read on the internet" (or maybe a similarly cherry-picked ship-of-Theseus example)

Oh except maybe the last one that is like "engages in harassment campaigns again other people". That one can have actual proof.

I know that a part of being the bigger person is not stooping to someone's level but I think that public socmed callouts posts have p much lost all their believability anyway, (and besides that callouts with actual proof of harassment and interpersonal violence never spread as far b/c people rightfully decide that a person like that might actually be Dangerous) so why not weaponise the format?

4. HonestlyVan

This is about people calling Gaud a child molester and rape apologist again, btw. Not that they can bring themselves to use those words so they just gesture to a story Gaud has publicly engaged with with those themes.

5. HonestlyVan

BTW does anyone else wish that depressed/anxious people in fandom would realise that when autistic/ADHD/developmentally disabled folks talk about neurotypicals disrupting fandom and the social dynamics of heightened interest and enthusiasm, we mean them?

Like, that your social anxiety doesn't excuse you from perpetrating cringe culture? In fact a lot of socially anxious folks absolutely double down on social acceptability as a commodity fetish that comforts them and soothes their fears, making it that much harder for people who are fundamentally unacceptable to be in fandom with them?

I will probably never stop being mad at non-DD neurodivergents in fandom ruining "keysmash excitement" for the rest of us, disrespecting the language of the fandom and being so comfortable in assuming they Know how to do fandom because all their problems are the result of being easily frightened by other people, and then turning around to police people who have been in fandom longer than them for finding that suddenly itvs become incomprehensible as a social space.

6. HonestlyVan

*looks for my gloves for two solid weeks*

*gives up an brings a new pair*

*gloves are magically discovered in the one place I hadn't checked*

7. HonestlyVan

Not to sound painfully online but y'know that video where Matt Slimethough calls the Quartering his dark half? That's me with Sarah Z.

8. HonestlyVan

Okay maybe that's a little harsh. Nothing about her strikes me as "someone I need to actively be worried about interacting with"

I'm just also aware that I'm exactly the kind of person she'd dismiss as someone who takes things too seriously and fodder to be mockingly alluded to as the kind of people who are okay to laugh at/make fun/treat with derision/feel morally superior over/openly mock/harass/wait how did that last one get here/we're just BETTER than those people/it doesn't MATTER how we feel about them it's just true on its face

9. HonestlyVan

"I feel comfortable kicking fandom folks bmc I am one! Ha ha ha! Disregard of the feelings of people I think I'm like is okay!"

10. HonestlyVan

And of course people in fandom gotta be able to rant about fandom. But if you're gonna do it in a space that has people who aren't in fandom in it, it does feel a little like you think fandom itself is the reason "those people" act in ways that are worth mocking.

Like.... "this would not happen if these people were not in fandom. Fandom would be much better if the batshit weirdos didn't keep finding it. "

11. HonestlyVan

Altho altho further to be clear I'm also kind of an anti-mockery absolutist. I do not see the value in hurting anyone. I don't get what it's supposed to contribute.

My attitude is "if I feel the urge to ridicule something/someone, my time is better spent actually critiquing it". I let my steam out in other ways.

12. HonestlyVan

*whines and complains about how nobody in the TF fandom can write Bulkhead(/Impactor/Smokescreen/Ironhide) right, proceeds not to write Jack Shit for months on end*

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  13. HonestlyVan

Maybe the problem isn't that nobody "gets" those characters, self. Maybe the problem is that you have all these hyperspecific takes on them that nobody in their right minds would jam with and so you shouldn't even be expecting people to be writing shit that conforms to them.

Except Bulkhead. Nobody in the fandom can write Bulkhead well simply b/c he's not hot enough for them to care about treating as something else than a classist stereotype.

14. HonestlyVan

Also Decepticon fans? Are just fundamentally superior at doing good characterisation, whether they're writing Autobots or Decepticons. I couldn't even bring myself to complain about the lack of good Combaticon shit b/c there's good shit to be found about literally every single Decepticon and basically nothing about the Autbots that are questionable moral support due to their questionable morals.

Like, fuck, y'all deserve your domination of the fandom. Wish I was half as clever as some of you, or a quarter as prolific.

15. HonestlyVan

Can't wait to start Horizon: Zero Dawn over.

16. HonestlyVan

I think a friendship of mine that has been kinda on life support since my other friendship in the group we were originally a part of ended has finally run its course and I should just. Like. Accept that we're gonna drift apart due to a lack of interest on both sides. I kinda winced a few months back when I realised that a game we were both looking forward to came out and they didn't even mention holding a launch party for it, and school is making me too busy and too poor to pop in over the weekends to reinforce that I'm in their life.

I guess I'll bring up the fact that it's weird knowing they're not saying "her name" explicitly around me even though that's a relationship they've clearly got more enthusiasm for. It's just hard to bring up that kind of thing without sounding accusatory. I don't want them to not be friends with her despite the way she hurt me. Our drama has nothing to do with them, pretty much, it just makes me feel vaguely unwelcome overall.

• Witnessed x 1
  17. HonestlyVan

I lost the entire day to being upset about this, ha ha

time to go play more Horizon: Zero Dawn

18. HonestlyVan

Newwwww printerrrrrr. Also the first printer I've ever owned. IDK what to expect.

It's an inkjet printer that uses those fancy bottle inks -- I got one b/c the intial fill will last me longer than anything that uses casettes and I'd like to be able to do some professional work on this one too. I think I made a mistake filling the inkwells all the way, though, I probably could have left them half full since I'm not gonna be doing any major printing right now but oh well. I was just following the instructions.

19. HonestlyVan

SO MEMORY OF MELODY WAS. A thing??? I'm so mad, stop implying Kairi will be badass and dangerous and teasing me with her powers of pure light like this before side lining her _again_ to put Sora and Riku front and center. I want playable Kairi who is a paladin powered by light.

Also, if the next KH games are set in the FF worlds, I won't complain -- in hindsight the thing that is making me most reluctant to replay KH3 is that the first act in the Disney worlds is _so_ long and pointless to the plot, and it's also moved out of having Disney worlds I have nostalgia for so even that isn't keeping me occupied anymore.

20. HonestlyVan

You know that feeling when you have a weird interaction with someone and the taste of it lingers in your mouth for days b/c it wasn't you who initiated the interaction and you're not sure what if anything can be done about the other person having That reaction to the conversation they entered in?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice