Garage bulletin board

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by HonestlyVan, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

i never realized just how much that was the case holy shit

2. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

This isn't even the first time A Pattern Emerges over the things I like in an unexplainable way being either about neurodivergence or disability when you get down to it,but without the words I could in the past only gesture at what I found so relatable.

• Like x 1
  3. HonestlyVan

Me being drawn to characters who exist in a state of constantly fucking up their bodies with intense and dangerous activity and spending the rest of the time in recovery before doing the thing all over used to be like "yes this is the content for me. As a sadist. Definitely." but it never explained why I also liked it when it happened to characters I intensely related to despite lot having a masochistic bone in my body.

It's been Shit Body Solidarity this entire time.

• Like x 1
  4. Aondeug

Those sorts of realizations are always a thing. I'm not really sure when I figured out like what the link between characters like Soifon, Edelgard, and Harrow being my favorites were until more recently and then I was like. Oh huh.

• Agree x 1
  5. HonestlyVan

Gender is so fucking fake oh my god.

A strange trans person can literally bring up their identity in the middle of a sentence and suddenly all the times I misgendered them in my head get overwritten with "no, that's incorrect" and I become... literally incapable of parsing them as anything but the gender they just expressed.

I mean... that's good!! But also *pokes at brain* how do you do that and why can't we do this for other stuff like this on command?

6. HonestlyVan

Like that is such a specific interaction of gender and OCD and I have absolutely no fucking clue how to feel about it.

It's a very Task Failed Successfully kind of feeling. No conscious process went into this, I just live like this.

7. HonestlyVan

*looks at my YT front page* oh no not this shit again

8. HonestlyVan

Okay okay calm down self. MP is actually in fandom, is actually "one of your own" and has in the past made her stances on certain... things... that are complicated... clear in the past in the way that hasn't felt like a backhand.

If this is an extension of that fucking shitfuck Twitter bullshit then at least she has a better chance to be on board the emotional stakes and has a much less "wah I'm being attacked" attitude about it. And if she's gonna address proshippers being racist and predatory, then it's fucking warranted.

9. HonestlyVan

Oh my god this is probably the only instance of a Thing on the Internet that scared the shit out of me actually being a positive experience.

10. HonestlyVan

Looking at the video it only goes to show that no matter how good the content is, the comments are gonna miss the point.

Aimed at that one person who is still about how a/p/i is "okay" is supposedly a stance a lot of self-proclaimed pro-shippers hold without.... at all addressing the multiple instances of MP saying "IN FICTION!" when summarising pro-ship views.

11. HonestlyVan

Read the Guilty Gear story digest comics, am watching the Xrd story summary vids.

Why? IDK, we watched the Strive trailer with my friend and I feel like theorising and I'm not in the mood to refresh myself with reading.

12. HonestlyVan

Mash together all the things you love.

Make that TFP Lyrical AU.

13. HonestlyVan

Do lowkey Feel Weird about how many of the things I end up making Lyrical AUs for are franchises that don't really have that magical girl-y 90/10 gender split -- or if they have it, they have it in the wrong direction. I'm also not a big fan of genderbends, so I rarely do anything to, like. Address how the things I tend to like are overwhelmingly dominated by male characters.

But in my defense, with Lyrical AUs it's less about wanting to see Dudes Doing Magical Girl Shit, and it's also not just me being on my paramilitary bullshit. Tonally, Nanoha has a highly specific appeal to me -- it's positive, optimistic, utterly convinced of the goodness of people as a whole and sceptical of the idea that bad people are bad for no reason and without any recourse. The stakes can be sky-high and there is genuine pain and suffering to be experienced (and also plenty to be enjoyed as a sadist, hello) but at the end of the day, I can be safe in the knowledge that it's not the kind of story where my faves won't be okay in the end.

The pretty clothes and cool fight scenes and fancy magic and even the sense of camaraderie and the edge the power of friendships gives in morale are kind of... secondary to having explicit permission to write a happy ending, every time.

• Like x 1
  14. Aondeug

Happy endings every time is. A big part of why I like Sailor Moon so much. Everything can go tits up but Usagi can just fucking cry and make reality feel so bad that it gives Hotaru back. Is this dumb? Well. If I look at it one way then yes. It's very dumb. As she did nothing to "earn" that win. But sometimes I don't want to have to earn something. Sometimes I just want to be sad and have reality fucking apologize to me for once.

And most of all I just want to know that no matter how awful things get, it's going to be fine in the end. Everyone will win and there will hugs and smiles.

• Agree x 1
  15. HonestlyVan

It's an excellent opportunity to explore the breadth of feelings without feeling cheesy! The stakes are world-ending, and the heaviest hitters on the team did just probably get pretty pummeled and it's questionable if they'll recover in time to contribute to the final showdown, but that doesn't matter because everyone is looking at each other and going "we're not gonna let this happen. Together." and that's the shit that gets me where I live.

• Agree x 1
  16. HonestlyVan

Honestly, this is why Precure is my favourite. It is peak Saving The World With The Power Of Friendship. Specifically the ones where we have a protagonist duo, rather than a single protagonist.

• Like x 1
  17. Aondeug

I still weirdly have not watched Precure. And I feel like I should. Since it is just. It's one of the big names from like the era of yuri fandom I grew up in.

18. HonestlyVan

The gay Vivio apple not falling far from the Nanoha tree is the absolute funniest part of Vivid, tbh.

Einhart arrives, and immediately this gay ass little magic knight gets stuck staring at her like she's a revelation from God. And the best part is that by then Einhart has already started cataloging how Vivio isn't her ancient dead soul mate while desperately wishing she was.

"I wish you to know my true feelings"
    the OP states as Vivio and Einhart consummate their Rivalry on screen.

• Like x 1
  19. HonestlyVan

Vivio: "I'm a lesbean"
    Vivio: "Lesbiam."
    Vivio: "Less bien."
    Nanoha: "It's alright, take your time."
    Vivio: *punches a hole into the wall* "Girls!!"

• Agree x 1
  20. HonestlyVan

Someone talk to me about the morality of extending the auto commenter to get past Ao3's spam wall.

I feel like I'll just be creating a tool people will use to send authors they don't like rape threats in bulk.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice