Garage bulletin board

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by HonestlyVan, Feb 16, 2020.

1. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

*IASIP title card* "The Autobots cause a religious schism"

• Like x 1
  2. HonestlyVan

Concept: "How to be a heartbreaker" by MatD as a Rodimus song.

• Agree x 1
  3. HonestlyVan

Fresh headcanon straight out of my arse:

The reason nobody ever thinks to put "Alpha Trion the archivist" and "Alpha Trion the Prime" together is that all original sources about the Thirteen refer to him as "Logos Prime". It could be said that Alpha Trion is to Logos Prime what Orion Pax is to Optimus Prime, except the change is more superficial. Unlike Orion, who couldn't wield any of the Primal relics until he gained the Matrix, A3 retained his ability to use the Quill, and also some other traces of divinity -- lucky his species is already ridiculously long-living, so few people have thought to question it.

4. HonestlyVan

Bought flowers for myself :)

• Winner x 1
  5. HonestlyVan

I'm still thinking about the Thirteen -- on DW, I got into an interesting conversation, and it got me writing out a potential pre-Quintesson War primal faith that's less focused on Primus and function-as-purpose, but rather has multiple sects that are informed by one of the Thirteen which all had their own principles and ideas about what a "function" even is, and social mobility was at least partially informed by what principles you preferred. Like, if you didn't like the Prime your social class usally worshipped, you could just pick another one, and through service to that Prime, work outside of alt mode function or respeccing into new duties was made available.

All this was totally out of the question after the Quintesson war broke out, though, because the society had to be reordered into maximising its efficiency in the face of an overwhelming enemy, and because rearranging it like that created massive surplus during peacetime that certain social classes got to enjoy from, a stronger Primus-centralised faith was built up to "unify" different sects under the high church.

6. HonestlyVan

I wanna make more mead. I should go get ingredients and get started.

• Winner x 1
  7. HonestlyVan

Stomach hurt :(

• Witnessed x 1
  8. HonestlyVan

Horde Prime can get it

9. HonestlyVan

Turns out my whole problem with seasons 2-4 of She-Ra was the lack of Sexy Villainy -- Hordak never worked for me, and Catra did her best but she also had a character arc she needed to get to completing so her sexiness went down as the series progressed.

I am on season 3 and as long as SPOP doesn't fall on its face in the final episodes, I think I'm gonna like this show just fine. A lot of it is kind of waffy, disposable, and the tone problem never goes away, but it gave an effort and when a thing caters to me this hard out of fucking nowhere, I'm totally good.

10. HonestlyVan

Also, just to reiterate

Horde Prime can get it.

11. HonestlyVan

:((((( headache

• Witnessed x 2
  12. HonestlyVan

still headache!!!

This whole day has just been headache!!

I did write like 2k about the Combaticons fighting the Wreckers so that was good.

13. HonestlyVan

I wanna get back into She-Ra now but every time I try to look at the tags on Tumblr I just get discouraged b/c even people who apparently aren't antis are using the same quippy, aggressive, threatening vernacular antis do.

Same with Cookie Run, the new event cookie is lovely and I'm getting over my femmephobia just through looking at their lovely immortal sad bastard face... but the fandom...

I just want somewhere where I don't need to see fans casually threaten physical and emotional violence at other fans for existing in the same space and not liking the same things the same way. I'm tired. I don't want to interact with anyone if this is what it's gonna be like.

• Witnessed x 2
  14. HonestlyVan

Hi I had a really bad day and it's making me obsess over how the Fandom doesn't Get My Fave and Write Him Right

I am so petty. I'm literally the pettiest person. I deserve to be tarred and feathered and chased off the internet.

15. HonestlyVan

Y'know that feeling when you can theoretically make a ship work for yourself by emphasising highly specific parts of their interaction but you can't really read fic of them because everyone writing it is choosing to focus on entirely different parts of their interactions, often from an entirely different angle than you so you can't even really... enjoy it because the dynamic is just so different from what you like?

That's where I'm with Primeverse Wheeljack/Ratchet. It gets written as "snarky libertine trying to poke the angry hedgehog with control issues into loosening up", but what with how much Wheeljack's snark is used to shoot people down rather than genuinely provoke them, he does not strike me as the type who enjoys verbal sparring as much as he just uses trash talk to create an exist hatch for himself. The appeal for me is in the two of them both being hedgehogs, with a big need to control the conversation so they don't have to get out of their comfort zone, and having strong defensive reactions whenever someone actually forces them outside of it, either because they demand sincerity or because they pushed too hard and genuinely hurt their feelings in the process.

Also what with how often we see Wheeljack fucking off out of a conversation he can no longer tolerate (and, lbr, his general tendency to fuck off and be by himself because Oh Primus, People He Doesn't Know) if I were to write it, instead of having Wheeljack do the wheedling, fishing for validation from Ratchet, I'd instead have Ratchet needlessly drag an argument on because he can't let himself let Wheeljack walk away and end the conversation on his terms, so he keeps escalating until one of them genuinely crosses a line with the other, and the bickering turns into an actual argument. Too often, neither of their lack of tact really has proper consequences (and also -- they're just not that close in Prime! They don't know each other well enough to take comments about their sincere anxieties as light-hearted! They're not friends yet, and the process of becoming friends by necessity features having to do some Sincerity, like how Wheeljack was forced into with Arcee trying to get him to not sabotage his relationship with Bulkhead.)

This is also why I really, desperately need more Primeverse Optimus & Wheeljack content. Because Optimus... can't really be provoked? Or he can, but most of the time his response to someone fishing for a reaction is to just go "??? um?? ó_ò)?? Sorry??" His manners are simply too good, he is too accommodating, so if Wheeljack wants to pick a fight with him, it's up to him to escalate... and that, again, takes the power away from him. Wheeljack simply cannot get one over Optimus by pushing him into driving the conversation, so his options are to keep his distance or... y'know, sincerity.

• Agree x 1
  16. HonestlyVan

Also I really profoundly do not get where the idea of Prime Wheeljack being someone who does things for attention or is looking to be somehow validated comes from. He never starts out trying to explain himself, and is entirely fine fucking off and letting people assume whatever they're gonna assume, if he's already at the point where talking to them is pointless. He repeatedly runs away from having to confront his own discomfort and immediately tries to put distance between himself and anyone who would make him confront that dissonance. He is a grouchy nerd with one friend and the moment that friend stops taking his side, he explicitly!! Storms off!! And tries to avoid having that conversation!!! And then once he's in a safe space with someone understanding who does validate his feelings, he explicitly starts out avoiding confronting his feelings!!!

Sometimes I feel like the whole damn fandom sees something in him that I don't and I just!!! *frustrated noises for six hours straight*

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  17. HonestlyVan

Goodmornrghr Wheeljack doing things for attention still doesn't make sense as a character beat especially b/c I'm not convinced he's capable of thinking far enough ahead to think of how others might react to his actions. His thinking-ahead ends at the point of his sword. Like all XNTXs he is a stabby idiot who never learned feelings.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  18. HonestlyVan

Today I'm gonna finish writing my first entry for Banned Together Bingo.

19. HonestlyVan

Oh, I've never really realised it but Emi Evans sure is on the Yuuki Yuuna Wa Yuusha De Aru soundtrack, huh.

No wonder that anime kept just. Staying in my mind until I rewatched it and actually liked it on second viewing much better than my first one where I kinda just parsed it as... IDK, trying to out-Madoka Madoka (a show which I resent for ghoulishly wearing the skin of a Magical Girl show without really engaging with any of the themes of a magical girl series)

I still maintain that just like Madoka, Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru is not a "real" magical girl show, but rather a drama done in the stylings of a magical girl show like how Evangelion is a psychological thriller done in the stylings of a mecha anime. It's also a good show, but that's more of a personal preference thing -- the plot doesn't really do anything for me but goddamn do I love some cute girls punching monsters in the face in the most spectacular explosions of special effects anime has to offer.

20. HonestlyVan

I've come to accept that what I want from anime is basically high shonen action with all-or-at-least-primarily female casts. (If that means I'm gonna keep watching stuff that's primarily just a vehicle for otaku merchandise markets, so be it. I've redeemed stupider stories for myself.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice