Gardening time!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by LilacMercenary, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

That sounds like excellent chicken forage to me!

Best way to broadly kill a bunch of stuff in a space indisciminantly without chemicals is intensive livestock grazing or sheet mulching.

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

You can eat the dandelions yourself if you want to, the leaves make a decent salad green. But it sounds like the thistles are your biggest problem there.

• Agree x 1
  3. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Unfortunately I don't have access to any animals besides cats x) and yeah the nettles are hazardous to my skin, but all three plants are crowding out the actual grass, and there's much too much yard and weeds to remove by hand :(

4. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I'd definitely not use chemicals bc thse are very bad for you AND the environment! including any wildlife that may come visit besides your kitties! I don't rly have advice if you're attached to the idea of grass lawn, but otherwise you can probably rent some not-motorized tools like... well, a plow essentially, or a garden hoe, or anything that helps quickly uproot a large number of things, after choosing a prolific, more suitable-to-your-needs creeping/lowgrowing plant. I recommend thyme, but there's also various other things you can choose from.

5. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

creeping charlie will crowd out dandelions, i've discovered. nettles, you gotta put on gloves and pull em, but they're annual, so if you catch them before they seed you won't have them next year.

• Informative x 4
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

terrarium update: success! she lives!
    [​IMG]
    the moss is putting up sporacles, and a bunch of little sprouts that i didn’t know about are coming up! i hope there’s enough room for them because i don’t know if i can remove them without messing things up. i also found a little centipede. not sure how i feel about that but hey, if he can find enough to eat in there then good luck to him

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
  7. jacktrash

there are probably miniscule soil mites and things, which the centipede can eat.

• Informative x 2
  8. jacktrash

hardening off seedlings is not disability accessible :( :(

• Witnessed x 5
  9. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

58462821_2556880894341378_6653966096074276864_n.jpg

behold............. our harvest

• Winner x 5
  10. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

ohhhh those look really good!

• Agree x 1
  11. jacktrash

at
    first glance i thought that was a wok and i was like WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF PEPPERS but then i saw the lighter and my perspective adjusted

12. Lizardlicks

idk my brain is still parsing it as the lighter just being a giant novelty item.

• Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  13. witchknights

we only managed one itsy bitsy thumbnail-sized peeper last year, so this is an actual incredible increase in yield.

that would make so much hot oil, holy shit. now im sad

14. jacktrash

i'm sorry i didn't mean to make your peppers feel inadequate

15. witchknights

It's ok! I am still super happy because they are super cute.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  16. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

not exactly garden BUT

I have an orchid that's doing really well, in fact it's doing so well that it's started to grow 'over' its pot because the leaf at the bottoms dies while a new one comes in from the top, so the plant is slowly moving upwards.

So I reckon I'll have to repot it soon but i've never repotted an orchid before (This is the first one I've been able to keep alive and even thriving) so I'm vaguely terrified to kill it in the process. Does anyone here had advice on how to best repot my flower child without hurting it?

Bonus difficulty: the orchid has pretty extensive air roots, all of which are alive and well and I don't wanna damage those either.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    • Like x 1
  17. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

orchids like being kind of crowded in their pots, moreso than other houseplants. unless there are so many air roots that it's hard to water it, it can probably stay in the pot for a while yet.

apparently phalaenopsis orchids grow on the sides of trees in the wild, so having them do a 90 degree turn over the edge of the pot is relatively normal behavior too

• Like x 1
  18. Lizardlicks

[​IMG]

This isn't all of it. The potatoes are in their big bags and the peppers are in pots. Several of the tomatoes got frost damage on the VERY last day (seriously, if I had waited one more day they would have been fine) but three of them got missed entirely and a few of the ones that did get hit are starting to put out new leaves from the stems below the damage. I'm gonna give them some time to see if they can come back but I'm also going to pick up some transplants from the farmer's market next week. Broccoli is exploding. Cabbage is doin' a'ight. Raddishes are going ham between the onions and I'm starting to snack thin them out a little bit at a time. Put up bamboo stakes with jute strung between them for the peas. Off in the waaaay back I'm still prepping the bed and the summer squash, zucchini will go back there this weekend. Still debating where I'm going to put the bush baby melons. Maybe that area between the peas and the walking path?

So much yum, I'm gonna enjoy all my fresh veg!

(Edited to shrink that ridiculously big pic, oops.)

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    • Winner x 6
  19. TheOwlet

Thank you!

I'm more worried about it stating to tip over because it's getting kinda top-heavy, but admittedly that might fix itself once the current flower stalk is through and dried up and i can cut the stalk off

I'll be providing a picture of it soonish, I'm ridiculously proud of how well this orchid is doing under my rather negligent care

• Winner x 4
  20. TheOwlet

as promised a picture of my child, which has be flowering for months already:

[​IMG]

• Winner x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice