Gardening time!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by LilacMercenary, Feb 14, 2016.

1. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Yeah, exactly :F and I want to loosen/scruff up the top layer before I put in more patch-seed, which is nigh impossible with it snagging the tines...

• Witnessed x 2
  2. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I'm not sure if it counts as graden, but i currently have a bouquet of spring onions living in a vase on the counter, but i bought too many and now i gotta keep them alive until i can actually use them

• Like x 1
  3. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

does anyone know why the top leaves of my tomato plant might be curling up like this?
    [​IMG]
    it doesn’t seem harmful, but it’s a bit odd. there are a couple handfuls of tomato fertilizer in there and i’ve been watering regularly.

4. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

there's no discoloration, and on that one bigger leaf it's only affecting a part of it. so possibly aphids? they like new soft growth the best, and the leaf will kind of deform as it grows once they have a nibble. if you can find any aphids, pick them off or (if many) spray them with a soapy water solution.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

no aphids, at least not as far as i could find. and this bucket of dirt has been indoors for a couple years now so i’m not sure how they would have gotten in. i did notice some fruit flies around it a month or so ago and i assumed they’d somehow been breeding in the soil, but they disappeared on their own before i could do anything about it.

6. devils-avocado

welp, it looks like a pretty healthy tomato apart from that, so hopefully it's just an anomaly :p

• Agree x 2
  7. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

started on the arduous process of removing years of ivy from the wooden section of our fence (lazy assholes that renovated the place for sale only replaced part of the decaying wood with chainlink, probably because they didn't want to do what I'm doing now) work goes fast at least, I'm limited only by the size of my yard waste bin.

Trouble is, by the time I'd filled the small bin in short order, I was sneezing copiously and making a giant mess of my face and now, a day after the fact, my nose and throat still feel off. I don't THINK it's allergies, I didn't have this issue when I was working on the tree-ivy last year. (I sneezed a bit, but I'm pretty sure it was just cause I was inhaling dirt/bark/ivy particulate, given the brown specks in my tissues :B) so no idea what's going on. Something in the mounds of decaying ivy leaves at the base of the fence being kicked up?

Wondering if a little face mask like one wears to protect themselves from airborne diseases might help in the future? You can get those in any pharmacy department, right?

• Witnessed x 1
  8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

if the wood was decaying, it might have been mold?

a face mask sounds like a good idea regardless of what it is. you can find disposable particulate filter masks at a hardware store (or probably at target, for that matter). they may be a bit more expensive than surgical masks but they're made specifically for filtering stuff like that.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. devils-avocado

could def have been mold and spores. also, ivy dust in general is pretty irritating even to folks without allergies, and the older the plant the dustier it's gonna be to remove it. a plain sinus rinse might be a good idea

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  10. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

• Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

ohhHHHH thank u

12. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

it's geared toward setting up a vineyard for profit, but it's got a lot of really useful information about pruning and tying, when to fertilize, and so on.

13. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i'm interested just in general, i know nothing about viticulture besides the decades old grapevines in the garden my grandparents or greatgrandparents established! They're tablegrapes, not ones grown for wine, but still make decent liquor and jelly and such.
    but having more knowledge.... good.

• Agree x 2
  14. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I have a two year old grape vine that's decided that the fence I planted it on is it's, and it's alone. I Might need to look into that pruning guide.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  15. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

returned to fight the ivy with a respirator this time owob filled up an Ace bag in fairly short order.

Not sneezing my lungs out this time at least. Did get a whiff of a mold-y smell once but the rest of the time it was just the scent of the inside of the mask.

Cons: the straps really dig in around my ears, and my head is pretty small owo no idea how larger people would manage the pain. There weren't multiple sizes available for this brand, so idk

also visibility was ass because my breath via the respirator fogged my glasses constantly, bah

better than sneezing for days and then the UNGODLY fatigue I suffered from over the weekend still

• Winner x 1
  16. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

if your breath was fogging your glasses then the respirator might not have been sealed properly! there shouldn’t be any air making its way between the mask and your skin if you can help it. it’s hard to get a good seal around the nose, you gotta kind of pinch the metal band in right below your nose bone. unless you’re using a non-disposable respirator, in which case i don’t know how to get them to seal right because i haven’t used one!

anyway regardless of glasses fog i’m glad the respirator helped ^^

• Informative x 2
  17. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

The best thing about indeterminate tomatoes: there's so many tomatoes!
    The worst thing about indeterminate tomatoes: there's so many tomatoes...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 1
  18. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

Most of my strawberry plants are being pretty reasonable. They've stopped growing, have hunkered down for the winter, and have generally avoided getting too frost damaged.

However, one of my strawberry plants is fairly frost damaged (or at least I think it's frost damaged? Some bits of leaves have turned an unhappy orange-red), but hey, it's still trucking, it's got plenty of healthy leaves to last through winter until spring--

However, despite it being literal midwinter where I live, said strawberry plant has flowered(?) and started producing fruit(???).

Go home strawberry plant, you're drunk. Go home.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  19. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

The little stunted apple tree is producing too many apples for it to structurally handle, I think X) any recommendations of how to ease them? Should I just pick some at random and toss them to the compost?

20. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

either that, or you can try supporting the tree/branches with posts placed underneath to keep parts from breaking off

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice