Gardening time!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by LilacMercenary, Feb 14, 2016.

1. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

yeah I'd try giving it support rather than picking off apples, since resources already went into those.

• Informative x 1
  2. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

IMG_20190717_131259889.jpg
    garold the rhododendron bonsai needed a haircut! so i'm taking some of the bigger cuttings and trying to propagate them

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  3. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

The rule of thumb I've always heard repeated is apples should be thinned to a hand space apart.

• Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

my parents house has a young peach tree that has half the leaves it should and always looks like it’s dying but, every couple of years, produces an absolutely insane amount of peaches. this year they had to prop it up and rope a couple of upper branches together (temporarily) to keep anything from breaking, and to keep cars from knocking all the peaches off since one branch hangs over the driveway

• Winner x 2
  5. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

yeah thinning out tree fruit by 30-50% (thin more for smol trees) will keep the branches from being damaged, and with apples specifically, will encourage them to fruit every year consistently instead of one year lots/next year almost nothing cycles, which they can be prone to

also it ensures that the remaining fruits will fully ripen, instead of the tree trying to feed a huge amount of fruit and have a bunch of it drop early or fail to fill out properly

it seems really harsh to pick unripe fruits off, and tbh I find it hard to do, but it'll make for a better harvest and a less-stressed tree

• Informative x 4
    • Agree x 2
  6. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

side project Get The Fuckin Ivy Off The Fence has exited easy mode and entered 'oh jeez how do I even get past this part, there's no structural support I can really attack with my clippers'

and it's not gonna get any better (if anything, worse) moving right to left :F also not helped that I can't attack it from the far side of the fence since that's the neighbors yard (he doesn't mind me killing the ivy by severing the sections/roots on my side, mind, but I also shouldn't be actually entering HIS yard- I can reach over the top a little bit with my stepladder at least I suppose? can't wield the large clippers that way tho)

Attached Files:

• Witnessed x 1
  7. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

do you mean he has said you can't work on it from his side? cuz that looks like a shared problem.

• Agree x 3
  8. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

there's more ivy than fence @_@

• Agree x 3
  9. devils-avocado

lordt. that's a lot of plant. do what you can with loppers, pruning saw, a small hatchet if you have one to chip away at that trunk. every bit gone is an improvement. it's like eating an elephant, only the elephant is simultaneously eating your fence.

• Agree x 2
  10. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

get bees! elephants hate those!

• Informative x 1
  11. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

It's eight times worse on my side of the fence than his :P it's scarcely a single layer on his side, no idea if he just keeps it more under control (his yard is quite well cared for on the whole, nice trim grass, many little plants and he does those neat little spiral trims on his shrubs out front) or if the source of the corruption springs from my side. Could be both, easily. God knows for how many years before me and my roommates moved in that the yard/the ivy was neglected, many of the vines are thicker than my wrist >:C Also, the ivy's placement is much more of a problem for I than he- on our side, all the ivy stares you in the face whenever you look through the sliding glass door, on his side you can't see any of it from his house, since it's only in an area close to the side of his house with no windows or doors looking at it.

12. devils-avocado

the ivy ball: 'there are bees here, we should leave immediately'

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  13. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

self quote because i took pictures of all my plants so y'all gotta look at them now

• Winner x 5
  14. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

So, I have a very bad track record with plants, and was pretty amazed I had managed to keep my orchid alive and that it was blooming again earlier this year, and then this happened.

sad-orchid.jpg

What do I do now? :(

15. TheOwlet

Is it just the flower Spike that's dried up or any other bits of the plant too?

If it's just the Spike, i've been told to remove it as close to the leafs as possible, water the plant as normal and maybe apply a fertilizer

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  16. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

blackberry season is upon us!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  17. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

oooooo TASTY

• Agree x 5
  18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

makin SCONES :D

• Winner x 2
  19. TheOwlet

Jaaaaaaam

• Agree x 2
  20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

my sibling is making jelly for the grange display at the fair next weekend and I have been promised at least one jar!

• Winner x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice