Gardening time!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by LilacMercenary, Feb 14, 2016.

1. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

I JUST STARTED MY PEAS IN THEIR LITTLE TOILET-ROLL POTS TODAY I AM EXCITE :D

It's not much, but it's a start, and I'm doing a sugarsnap variety this year alongside my usual dwarf pea :D

• Like x 4
  2. PotteryWalrus

Does anyone have any experience in growing kale? I'm one of those weird people who genuinely really like it and I'm thinking of experimenting with some seeds this year. Being a brassica (I think?) I would assume that they don't necessarily need full sun, and there's this shaded spot behind my herb patch that I've never really be able to convince anything but borage and chard (which no-one in our family actually likes) to grow.

Any tips or comments?

3. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

my tip is that kale is a winter harvest plant and needs to get a bit of frost, traditionally. but idk how much sunlight it needs while growing ono

4. albedo

albedo metasperg

Yeah, kale should be fine in part-shade, particularly as the days get longer. It likes full sun, but I don't think it's mandatory. It's brassicaceae, pretty much the usual brassica care instructions - likes spring/fall, bolts in hot summer weather, sweeter after frost.

(Did you guys know that "frost-tolerant" vegetables PRODUCE SUGAR AS ANTIFREEZE. THIS IS SO COOL.)

We've had pretty good luck with dinosaur kale, which gets HILARIOUSLY LARGE.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    • Like x 3
  5. PotteryWalrus

I'm trying the variety Nero di Toscana - I'm hoping that the fact it's a italian breed means it might be a bit more heat-bolting resisitant, you know? I'm gonna start it off indoors so I can coddle it a little and pick out just the strongest seedlings. I'll try some in the shade area, and one or two on the other side of the herb patch where it's brighter.

Also, has anyone any experience in growing squashes and melons in containers? I have big enough pots, but I'm thinking of trying to grow the melons in the conservatory which is light shade at best. It gets good morning sunlight, though? I know these things need lots of heat and sunshine normally - I've never tried melons before.

• Like x 1
  6. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Excited screechy noises! There's a teeny little seedling in the spinach pot! It's the first one to have started sprouting, although I guess the others probably just take longer. I've been checking on them all every day, though, and spritzing them with water whenever the soil looks dry. Since the soil always looks dry when I check (and I have done a touch-test a couple times, to be sure), that means I've been watering at least once a day.

• Like x 2
  7. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

@turtleDove High five! My peppers are sprouting and it's SO EXCITING

• Like x 1
  8. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I'd like to grow green onions again, but I'm intending to move this year, and I'm not sure how well they work as an indoor plant...

9. turtleDove

@TwoBrokenMirrors Ooh, that reminds me - I should de-seed and plant my jalapenos once I've got more pots to work with. (I'm planning on using egg carton for the next batch of seeds.)
    Assuming my matesprit hasn't tossed the jalapenos out. Which...would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do, considering how old they are. But I may need to buy new peppers, if he has.

@budgie It's worth researching, then. I'm planning on at least trying to do indoor tomatoes and beans. This may not work unless we move, but: an attempt will be made.

• Like x 2
  10. TwoBrokenMirrors

I rescued a yarrow plant from a supermarket display because it was limp and miserable-looking and I couldn't leave it
    It looked like this (no idea why the pictures are sideways, they shouldn't be):
    20160405_211842.jpg
    After a day or so of being watered it looked like this:
    20160406_200202.jpg
    And now, today? Today it looks like this:
    20160421_190353.jpg
    ...A success, I think. Though I'm going to have to put it in a much bigger pot. And probably outside. Apparently these things can get massive. It's growing so fast that it's absurdly water-hungry, too.

• Like x 8
  11. turtleDove

It's nice to see how much the yarrow's perked up, and how it's doing really well now. Mine isn't doing so well, I think; the spinach sprout seems to have withered, and there's still no signs of any sprouting from anything else. I'm not sure what I did wrong.

12. TwoBrokenMirrors

@turtleDove
    Aw man that's a shame. =( I'm kinda concerned about some of my habanero chilli sprouts, too, so I know the feeling.

13. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

window sill right.jpg window sill left.jpg
    my kitchen window sill herb garden!
    i repotted most of my plants last week due to that strange yellow-orange crusty mold growing on the soil, and now i hope my plants take well to their new pots D::
    there's chives, lavender, thyme, sage, parsley, basil, i planted rosemary in the magenta pot but nothing has sprouted yet, there are some tiny, tiny mint sprouts in the far right tin pot, and i'm planning on planting more garden cress in the tuna can.

14. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

My mom and I have started doing lists for the herb gardens and garden in general. Sketches forthcoming eventually, once we do them.
    Mostly so far it's been decided that things to indulge my specific wishes will be:
    • I'm getting my own pot to plant heather in. Most likely gonna live in the front yard.
    • I'm also getting a tree of witch hazel somewhere, probably back yard.
    • In the front yard there's probably gonna be a magnolia or something? But my bro wants that too

herbs planted will be: basil, chimes, thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary, (lemon) balm, parsley, majoran, arnica, chamomile, calendula, savory, three different kinds of mint (spearmint, peppermint and chocolate mint), lavender and tagetes.
    Also we're getting a juneberry tree :D I'm v excited for that! Juneberry is delicious.

15. Shade

Shade Member

Planted my vegetables last week. I've been a helicopter parent over them since then. It's rained the past 4 days and I hope they haven't drowned before they had a chance.

• Like x 1
  16. PotteryWalrus

-squints suspiciously at weather- My bean seedlings are huge and need planting out... but there was a cold snap last week that killed my peas... I don't trust this sunshine :/

17. Jojo

Jojo Writin and fightin

I have a couple of acorn squash sprouts and a tiny pot of parsley in the guest bedroom windowsill, a patch of turnips out in the yard, and I'm hoping I can find another packet of the "Dark Mixed Greens", which had kale, mustard, and spinach, because my iguana needs some fresh food this summer. I've also got 12 tomato plants and some various cucumber and yellow squash plants in the garden!

Side note, if your tomatoes tend to get dark rotten spots on them, that's likely blossom-end rot. Crush up 5-6 Tums per plant and put them in the soil when you transplant them (or just around the base of the stem if they're already transplanted, just water them so they dissolve). The added calcium helps prevent the rot!

• Like x 1
  18. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

does anyone know how to make those cute succulent mini-gardens in fishbowls? I miss some green in my apartment, and I think I would manage to not kill succulents by my presence alone, but i have no idea if they're good ideas or how to start one.

19. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

I've heard that those things aren't great long term because succulents need a lot of drainage, but I haven't done anything with them myself

20. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

artflow_201606071638.jpg
    Tiny pepper babies! My reward for getting burning pepper residue all over my face :p

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice