Gardening time!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by LilacMercenary, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

I'll have to give those a shot and see if they work. Right now I have some dragon gourds using the vertical garden as a terrace. I ment to post these earlier and keep forgetting but I do have a good record with indoor plants since the lack of cat attacks.

This is Saturn a Venus fly trap I rescued from the clearance rack.
    [​IMG]

Don't know if you can see it well but this is a very tiny fly trap I'm trying to grow from a seed.
    [​IMG]

Fun fact I actually dropped that terrarium after putting the seeds in so I didn't think anything would grow at first.

• Like x 2
  2. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

PLANTS! i grow succulents indoors, mostly, and i don't have pictures of my whole collection yet but let it be known i have an army of plant children.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like x 4
  3. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

it's getting on toward time to plant fall bulbs but i still haven't filled the garden boxes roach built me, bc i've been sick as fuck. gonna have to rally a dirt filling party!

4. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

So. Uh... there's a reason going on holiday mid-harvest time is generally considered a bad idea, but no-one told me... well...
    IMG_1320.JPG
    This is why zucchinis are our secret triffid overloads and we should tend to them in fear and respect. (It's 18 inches long, 18 inches in diameter, and weighs a whopping 4.13kg. I'm scared of it. We're gonna try and hollow it out and do a stuffed veg thing, but I wonder if it might be past eating.)

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY GOOD MARROW RECIPES THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Also, the rest of the harvest that hadn't been eaten by critters -
    IMG_1316.JPG
    Four smaller zukes alongside That Which Devours, and -
    IMG_1317.JPG
    Three decent-sized cucumbers! ^_^

• Like x 2
  5. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

holy shit that zucchini is INSANE, wtf, how even, what is in ur soil

• Like x 1
  6. [​IMG]

This is the first tomato plant I've ever grown - raised up from a seedling we got from the kids at the local Quaker school, totally thriving on the balcony of our fourth-floor apartment! So far, no tomatoes have fallen on anyone's heads.

Also: Holy SHIT that zucchini.

• Like x 3
  7. PotteryWalrus

I seriously have no idea but I suspect it may be due to the cultivar that I've never grown before - 'Black Forest' - which is HELLS of prolific even by regular zuke standards - and the fact it's been left on the vine for TWO WEEKS (And wound up growning on the gravel path, rather than the actual soil, which might have added to it not rotting or going strange ^^;;;)

But yeah. I accidentally a monster :P

8. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

[very excited yell] a couple months ago i had like 8 panda plant leaves i was trying to propagate, and two managed to sprout air roots so i put them in a pot with other succulents and watered them weekly, although i'd kind of given up on them

today, i went to look at them and THEY HAVE LITTLE BABY LEAVES I'M GONNA CRY LOOK AT MY CHILDREN

[​IMG]

• Like x 6
  9. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Had a massive aphid infestation in my two mint plants. Like, the bastards stacked.
    Removed the infested sprouts, drenched in indian lilac. fuckers kept coming back.
    I finally gave up and just dumped both pots. ::(

10. Jojo

Jojo Writin and fightin

@winterykite that sucks, im sorry! ive read that you can get rid of aphids by putting the plant (pot and all) in a plastic grocery or garbage bag and blowing cigarette smoke into it for about 5 minutes then tying it off and leaving it for an hour or so.

11. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Cigarette smoke makes me choke, and I don't know anyone who does smoke around here.
    And I fear all that nasty cigarette smell will draw into the pot and plant and soil and I'll never get it out again, sooo nope. Like, hells to the fuck nope.
    (My brain thinks breathing in cigarette smoke is more hazardous than not breathing and shuts off breathing.)

12. Jojo

Jojo Writin and fightin

@winterykite aaah ok! unfortunately that's the only aphid-ridding technique I've ever tried so i've got nothing else.

13. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

@jacktrash reblogged a photo of a really lovely succulent but the OP referred to it as a crassula and that activated my trap card because holy hell, that's not a crassula, get out of town, so here is way too much phylogeny feat. Giant Photos
    [​IMG]
    the aforementioned succulent, shamelessly hotlinked. it's a Trachyandra, most likely tortilis, and wiki lists its order as Asparagales and its family as Asphodelaceae.
    [​IMG]
    dharmagun mentioned Albuca spiralis, which is indeed a relative of Trachyandra, sharing the order of Asparagales but sorting into a different family, Asparagaceae.
    [​IMG]
    this is (one of the) more typical Crassula; not even in the same clade as the others, let alone order or family. they commonly grow as paired leaves along a stem, rather than singular leaves from a common base like the Trachyandra or Albuca

the moral of the story is that now I really want to order Trachyandra and Albuca seeds

• Like x 5
  14. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I want to get a Trachyandra now too. What a neato plant.

• Like x 3
  15. devian

devian Well-Known Member

oh look we have a plants thread let me shamelessly revive it to show off my new succulents--

[​IMG]

The echeveria on the right I've had for a few weeks now, along with the two with cuttings (aloe and ????), but the haworthia (little pointy green dude), bear's paw (little round green dude), and panda plant (huge dude in the corner) I just got today, and I am very excited about all of them! I think the bear's paw is a little unhappy about having been mailed, but hopefully once it's settled it'll perk up a bit.

• Like x 4
  16. devils-avocado

I think I might have a cutting of that unidentified one, but I didn't write down the name so it is likewise unidentified :/ I'll see if I can get a photo in the daytime

ETA: did you really get that huge one through the mail? it's in remarkably good shape!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  17. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

I started my peas today! For the past couple years I've waited too long to get them in and they were killed by the summer heat, but not this time
    That is, if these seeds are still good...

• Like x 2
  18. devian

devian Well-Known Member

The person I got the cutting from has a full plant, but she has absolutely no idea what it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Google suggested it might be some kind of huernia, but she didn't say anything about hers flowering...

Yep, I ordered it from an Etsy shop! The tips of two of the lower leaves did break off (which actually might have been my fault from when I was taking it out of the box, I'm not sure), but otherwise it seems to be fine. The sender did a really good job packaging it up.

19. devils-avocado

huernia sounds familiar... hmm. I want to say that it's some sort of stapeliad, but Idk if that's the right general area or what.
    awesome! kalanchoes with thick leaves will usually root from a whole leaf or even a big chunk of one, if it's set on the surface of the soil (as well as from more conventional cuttings), so if you knock any bigger ones loose they can be kept for propagation.

20. PotteryWalrus

Hey is there anyone on this thread in the West Yorkshire area of england (Or hell, just in the UK generally if you're willing to pay P&P)

Who would like a free mature spider plant to a good home

Yog Soggoth (mother of a thousand young) is getting really out of hand and I need to split her up but I have no idea what to do with her component parts. I don't want to just bin them, that'd be mean. She's been with me through a lot of my health issues - it's surprising how much a massive O2-scrubbing plant improves the state of your lungs just by being there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice