General brainweird headcanons?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Acey, Mar 26, 2016.

1. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

OH, also Ambulon and anxiety. I knew I was forgetting something, and it kept nagging at me all evening.

2. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Apparently, people on TV Tropes seem to think Whirl has BPD? I'm... Not sure I agree, but I'll just put it here.

3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Jade Curtiss from Tales of the Abyss canonically has essentially no empathy, though I don't necessarily buy TVtropes people calling him autistic.

4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Going into my special interest fandom; upon hearing of Reactive Attachment Disorder, I became convinced the rare violent form explained a heck of a lot about Veil Sixclaw. (A definite Broken Base character. I try to stay in the middle; while his treatment in childhood was awful, most abused kids do not become multiple murderers.) Neglect by and abrupt separation from his first caregiver in his infancy? Check. Emotional abuse by almost everyone except Bryony, who adopted him when she was apparently too young and spent his whole life making excuses for him and not giving him the type of care he really needed? Check. He doesn't appear to be a sociopath, as I think I recall he does feel fear, and he does give his life for Bryony's, suggesting he does care somewhat for her; RAD can be overcome, so possibly he was starting to get an inkling of actual feelings and never had the chance to fully develop them.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    • Like x 5
  5. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Hanners from Questionable Content canonically has OCD, but I keep feeling like there's something else going on as well. Not sure what, though.

• Like x 2
  6. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Kencyrath brainweird headcanons time yeaaaaaaaaaaah.

I know there's another thread for it elsewhere but Jame is autistic. This headcanon is entirely Morven's fault because I wouldn't have thought of it unless she mentioned it. Which she did.

Tori meanwhile is very not autistic. He does have a very bad case of pure-o OCD though. That and PTSD. The OCD sticks out for me most though which may or may not be because I too am pure-o and Tori is my BELOVED KINSELF CHARACTER.

Greshan had NPD. We will not speak anymore on him but Greshan had NPD. And now he is dead. Very dead.

Ganth had PTSD and OCD like his son. Ganth was amazingly far worse about dealing with his OCD than Tori is and Tori is quite frankly awful at it.

Kallystine also has NPD.

Rawneth too probably.

• Like x 2
  7. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

I don't think I have a single friend who isn't depressed. By extrapolating this sample, can I headcanon every character as depressed, if not overtly then covertly?

• Like x 5
  8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

TFP Starscream I´d suspect of having anxiety. (The whole "Make plans, run into unexpected variable, flail wildly" thing.)
    Wouldn´t be surprised if IDW Starscream does too, but he fronts so hard it´s hard to tell what´s going on with him.

• Like x 3
  9. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

From what I've seen of TFP Starscream I can definitely buy anxiety. And Amethyst definitely has BPD I will scream it from the rooftops.

I think Mikoto Minagi from Mai-Hime is autistic, which should probably go in the autism thread but which I feel kind of bad posting there because I don't view myself as autistic - she's bad at interpersonal stuff and doesn't care about social rules, is really good at things she's interested in, not good with words but good at dealing with animals, hyperfocused on her goals. She also has trauma stuff going on.

Rakka from Haibane Renmei dealt with suicidal depression which ultimately killed her, spurring her rebirth in the city. It's really heavily inferred so I'm not sure it counts as a headcanon, but the creator has said that everyone should draw their own conclusions so I'm gonna go with it. Rika Furude from Higurashi No Koro Ni is also super depressed, which factors into why she can't see any way out of the place she's trapped in.

Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop deals with dissociation and flashbacks constantly - this is why he says that one of his eyes sees the past. It's not literally seeing the past, he was just really fucked up by what happened.

• Like x 6
  10. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

This one might be canon, but I think Aranea Serket is very much a narcissist in the clinical sense (as well as the colloquial one). In fact, looking at the diagnostic criteria, she's practically a textbook case.

• Like x 2
  11. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Very much agreed. I used to think Vriska was one, but after Aranea's true nature was revealed I started considering Mindfang and Aranea the true narcissists and think it's more accurate to think of Vriska as having fleas.

• Like x 2
  12. Hatchback

Hatchback ... he is just fine again today

Oyasumi Punpun is kind of low-hanging fruit, pretty much being Disorders: The Manga (I'm pretty sure it's about way more than nihilism, fandom... but maybe that's just me reading it through my own lens), but Koh Shimizu almost certainly has schizotypal disorder (also known as schizotypal personality disorder. It's on the schizophrenia spectrum, a step above schizoid and a step below schizophrenia, and classified as such in the ICD-10; the DSM-5 still classifies it as a personality disorder, for some reason), with both insipid and timorous-subtype features (as one would expect).

I could go on for pretty much all of the other characters from that particular fandom, but I won't. Oddly a number of people seem to identify Shimizu as the only one living with a mental illness, and it's like? Er. Not quite. Try literally everyone else.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  13. Hatchback

Hatchback ... he is just fine again today

Also double posting because I missed this one and it was my obsession (honestly, to the point of being a special interest) as a child - Holy shit, yes. I've always thought of Veil as being the extreme embodiment of the self-fulfilling prophecy of 'nobody rises to low expectations', like, well, literally everyone ostrasized him and treated him like he was an evil murder as a child because animal racism (no unfortunate implications there, oh boy), but this really, really makes sense. Headcanon accepted.

• Like x 1
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Bryony actually pointed that out in canon, so yeah.

15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Like x 1
  16. ButchTwink

ButchTwink Well-Known Member

I know the whole "winnie the poo characters have disorders" theory is mostly 2edgy4u abilist garbage, but given that I have depression adhd and more likely than not some anxiety something, I find the idea that characters I loved in childhood also do comforting.

• Like x 7
  17. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

It's since been removed from her bio page on TVTropes, but someone speculated that Ruby from SU has an anxiety disorder. And I can really see that, actually! Even in The Answer, she was clearly panicked and overly-apologetic about bumping into Sapphire and accidentally fusing with her, and she's clearly anxious as hell about what they're going to do now that they're on Earth. And Jailbreak shows her very clearly panicked about Sapphire's whereabouts. So yeah, she definitely pings me as having some sort of anxiety/panic disorder.

• Like x 6
  18. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

i'm partial to karkat having OCD-- i just see a lot of the stuff he had to do to survive leading to unhealthy behaviors later in life (although i DO think he's very particular about his space being Just So while not being nearly as specific about his hygiene)

• Like x 1
  19. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

@Acey I could see the degree of Ruby's panic in those situations as appropriate, but something about the way she panicked makes me think that, too!

• Like x 3
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Remy the rat in Ratatouille seems to have synaesthesia if one takes what's shown literally; when he's tasting food, corresponding lights and sounds happen around him.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice