General CAT-ter (The Beanery)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Saro, Jun 12, 2017.

1. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

And people say, "Oh, animals don't *really* think.

• Agree x 1
  2. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

One way to figure out what babies know before you can ask them, is that they will gaze longer at things that are unfamiliar or strange.
    Also cats.

To test cats’ name recognition, the researchers showed each cat a computer monitor displaying a familiar cat’s face, and an audio recording of their owner calling either the displayed cats’ real name, or a name that didn’t match the cat on the screen.
    When they heard names that didn’t match the individual shown, cats from households with few feline roomies spent more time staring at the screen, supposedly puzzled. If the name matched the face, they stared less.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7d9vj/cats-know-each-others-names-study

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    • Informative x 2
    • Winner x 1
  3. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I like how the conclusion of all of these cat intelligence tests is that cats can understand [topic of study] but pretend not to because "they're probably just being rude"

• Winner x 1
  4. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

The thing is, rude by whose standards? Cats have their own manners, that aren't very much like ours. Like, imagine if you walked into a room and a human just stared at you and then blinked slowly. Rude! But when cats do that, they're being pleasant and friendly. It might be good cat manners, when hearing one's own name, to sit there and do nothing so the human can continue paying attention to you as they seem to want.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  5. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

Everything is awful but here are some blissfully ignorant cats 516004E4-80BC-48AF-8B9C-E86DEFD951B1.jpeg AA7E65E3-3A76-4105-AC6A-C862F126D653.jpeg

• Winner x 12
  6. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

The cat in the first picture does have all her legs, although the image makes that unclear

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 1
  7. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Cats are liquid, it is known

• Agree x 8
  8. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

Not all cats are so polite as to place all their beans in a neat pile for easy counting like that second gentleperson.

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 2
  9. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

some cats exist in a state of quantum leg

• Agree x 10
  10. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Please enjoy this compliation of working from home reporter's cats upstaging their owners on live TV -

I like that there's some owners trying REALLY HARD to stay professional and some just visibly give up when their cat wants to join in. Most of the cats are Trying To Help on the cat way where they get in the way of everything you're trying to do, some are trying to get their owners attention for pets, and some are just HONGRY HUMAN FEED ME DAMMIT XDDX

• Like x 7
    • Winner x 2
  11. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Bootscoot!

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  12. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

God the two or three times i had to record anything from home the cats were a menace, luckily it was audio only so they couldn't photo bomb

• Agree x 1
  13. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Gourmet purretzel

IMG_20220712_201034.jpg

• Winner x 12
  14. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Love a good shrimp pose

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
  15. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Jet was being a butt again. Both our expressions are accurate insofar as feelings on the matter.

20221025_144924.jpg

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice