Gently stroking a folded towel (i.e. the ASMR thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by a tiny mushroom, May 22, 2015.

1. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Oh man I fucking love asmr. I actually get it a lot from songs with whispering or breathy noises in them (there are a couple homestuck songs that have triggered it for me i think, and also a lot of songs that include sex noises, which I think is funny) or acapella songs. Imogen Heap's voice is really good - Hide And Seek is incredible. It feels like silk on my brain. One remix especially, if I can find it... no, it was taken down, but luckily I downloaded it so here! Also here is another good one I found while looking.

And then there's this thing.

• Like x 3
  2. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

I'm so uncomfortable.

• Like x 1
  3. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

I've been watching people do needle felting on youtube and it gives tingles pretty well

• Like x 1
  4. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

I like the hair brushing ones, especially with curly hair.
    And when i was a youngling (ok so middle-school, which isn't quite a youngling considering i am almost 19) i would drift to sleep listening to this one mine crafter's youtube vids...he has a pretty deep voice that reminds me of my older brother's, just with an accent. i'd drift to sleep in minutes and wake up with my earbuds still in XD

5. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

Certain accents do it for me. Eastern European/Russian, Scandinavian/German, Middle Eastern, some (but not all) British... Not sure why.

6. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

reviving this thread to share another couple by the same guy that i like

• Like x 2
  7. emcapi

emcapi Well-Known Member

oh hey i love that guy's stuff :D

• Like x 1
  8. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

eeeee i finally started branching out and found some videos focusing just on hand sounds! The scraping sounds of hand on hand, or on some other textures like wood, is my jam.

this one goes into some clapping and related sounds, but when they're preceding by the swipe/scrape sound it's just delight.

9. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

Does it still count as ASMR if the tinglies are on, like, your back and sides and it's only from really specific things? Because I went to the dentist today and certain teeth-cleaning sounds caused lots of tinglies (which was interesting because the sound itself is one I would classify as unpleasant, but the tingling was on the sorta-pleasant side of neutral?)

10. a tiny mushroom

11. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

I did not know there was an asmr thread, but I'm glad there is because I spend a significant proportion of my life with these videos running in the background (or foreground). I play them because they're super relaxing and nice with tingles, and also I like the kinda feeling of faux-personal attention.

I don't get the tingles quite as much as I used to at first, and for a while I stopped getting them at all, but nowadays I tend to get them fairly frequently.

One thing I've started getting fairly strongly recently is "anticipatory tingles", which I hadn't heard of before, but perfectly describes the thing I get where I can just be looking at the channel page for an asmr artist and I'll start feeling tingly before even starting a video :P

My favourite asmrtist is ASMRrequests, simply because I watched her videos first I think, but also she's kinda big in the "asmr community" in doing innovative projects and stuff. For a while I would only watch her videos, but more recently I've been watching a lot of other people as well (at least partially because she posts so infrequently). Heather feather is good, as is gentlywhispering, softlygaloshes, whispersredasmr... honestly they're all good.

There's also Ephemeral Rift, who is an... experience. Honestly I've never seen anything quite like his videos, but I guess it's sort of an asmr/comedy/parody hybrid thing? But the tingles are actually surprisingly good with his stuff, assuming you can get over the general weirdness of the subject matter.

Here's a link to one of the first of his videos I saw, and, honestly... that's one of the more regular premises for one of his videos.

edit: Oooh, also, this channel did a bunch of really awesome doodling asmr videos that I love. Unfortunately she doesn't post as much long-form asmr stuff these days but the gems you do find are really great.

edit2: Oooooh, and also, this Heather Feather video is sublime. I love the parts where she starts picking at the beads with her nails... It's the sort of thing that will actually make me feel tingles even just thinking about it.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    • Like x 1
  12. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Question: I get tingles from some of these, especially the 3D audio ones where they're giving you a haircut or something, but the tingles really make me uncomfortable. Is something weird with my brain, or?

• Like x 1
  13. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

So I've been listening to Dana ASMR and I like her voice a lot.

@prismaticvoid I ... have no idea, I don't get tingles really so I'm not sure what's normal. (Unless what I interpret as "pressure" is what is usually referred to as "tingles" in which case I still don't know what's normal, but it doesn't make me uncomfortable.)

14. Ducks

Ducks 79 Plural Fowl Illuminates The Legendary

I've subscribed to the asmr podcast and I need more things available in just audio. I find it over stimulating with video.

• Like x 1
  15. gills

gills dead

ephemeral rift does a lot of horror-centered asmr. which is often scary but also fun in a way for me at least? the sounds are still good.

also it is so fucking awkward trying to explain asmr to people who don't know what it is. so. awkward.

• Like x 3
  16. a tiny mushroom

Aah, I see! Hmm, that coooooould be interesting, depending on how horror-y it is.

"You listen to strangers pretend to give you a head massage and it makes you feel nice and tingly. It's not as weird as it sounds, I promise!"

• Like x 1
  17. Ducks

Ducks 79 Plural Fowl Illuminates The Legendary

I sometimes get tingles from the horror podcasts I listen to. It pairs really well with the sense of unease from the story :3

18. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Miniature Space: a channel of a dude making tiny real food with tiny appliances and utensils and serving it on tiny dishes. No talking, lots of tapping and chopping and dinking and other nice little noises.

• Like x 4
  19. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Wood carving ASMR video - interesting to watch and listen to.

Edit: The comments are full of people concerned about the technique because apparently it's the video-maker's first attempt at wood-carving. Also, this:

[​IMG]

I laughed.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    • Like x 1
  20. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

O this is really good though! Thanks for the link :D

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice