Girl Genius!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Codeless, May 24, 2015.

1. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

im fairly sure its only very heavily hinted at but not outright confirmed in the webcomic that theyre twins, does this get confirmed in the novels?

speaking of the novels, guess whos gonna order all three of them next week.

• Like x 1
  2. Fish butt

Fish butt Everything is coming together, slowly but surely.

You are! :D

hmmm, is that so? I know the baron can speak her native language, but Zeetha's hair is naturally green right? I never picked that up, but I'm as literal as a post, so I have trouble picking up on subtleties. What makes you say that?

3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I think this comes from the novels, hinting that Lucrezia sent the Baron to Skifander, where he would have fathered them. I need those novels.

4. Fish butt

• Like x 1
  5. winterykite

@Fish butt:
    well.... we got a pic of her dad, and its basically klaus. (lemme dig for a bit.... http://haus-of-klaus.livejournal.com/25974.html here you go), and klaus recognized zeetha, and the stuff that klaus taught gil (the mental exercises) sound, especially in scene, really similar to the skif royal warrior tradition. would make sense, in my head. tvtropes wmg page mentions an ama by the foglios where they mentioned that the skif dont like twins - and then theres that comment of klaus that he kept gil alive. the rest is narrativum - why send a random skif if you can send the sister?

• Like x 1
  6. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

I am here to agree entirely with what @whimsicalobservant said, it's hinted pretty heavily in the comic itself, it's just that out-of-comic stuff has more or less confirmed the speculation. No idea on the novels, though. Also GG is awesome and I don't know about you guys but I was so glad when they

finally left the castle. God damn that felt like it took forever when you're reading 1 page at a time.

7. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

@Hobo
    I see your castle and raise you the train/fortress. Also defeating the beast. This comic reads much better all in one go than in chunks like that.

• Like x 1
  8. winterykite

yeah, reading in one go really is better - the overall pacing itself is fine, theres a lot happening to different people in different locales and nothing can be brushed aside monster of the week style, but the update-to-update pacing is, well... not webcomic-appropriate. itd maybe work better with a manga-style chapter by chapter / scene by scene release rhythm, pacingwise, but id have to take a closer look at the scenes themselves. (that, and its 3 pages/week, not 20 like with manga, so....)

9. Fish butt

@whimsicalobservant

oh it took years didn't it? Was it two years? Maybe even three! I moved to the US and they were still in the castle! I mean, I love that huge sentient building and I absolutely loved the build up to it. The castle's beginning was really well done, the prisoners fixing it, Agatha infiltrating it to gain control again, the fact that the castle was malfunctioning in a gigantic manner and absolutely needed to be fixed as there were definitely high stakes, what with pink fake Heterodyne WHO JUST WOULDN'T DIE, and all the plotting...

But there were moments in there that kind of dragged along for me: Gil and Tarvek getting sick came a little out of left field, I remember reading that over and over and thinking 'what? That's rather sudden', and it felt a little 'and then, and then, and then...' while all the actual juicy stuff - Baron, plotting, storm king, oh my! - was taking place outside! I was very relieved when they left, but after ages of having to deal with that tension and also forgetting old plot points because it was a year ago that I read them and not having time to reread that because I was graduating... I kind of forgot what all the hullaballoo was about and why Agatha was still in trouble.

Getting zapped to another time and the castle being stuck in a timebubble was something I kind of needed to wrap my head around, but I feel back on track with the monks again. That chapter was just long enough, and very, very sweet.

Yeah, I ranted a little about that in my spoiler. It's much better to read it in one go. :) I also have a terrible memory, and so reading something like this comic I very easily forget main plot points or hints and such when I read it on a day to day basis.

Now to see Paris, goddammit! :D

Also Othar Trygvassen, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER is awesome and I'm really looking forward to the next time he butts in the story uninvited. :D

• Like x 1
  10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

^I look forward to him getting punched out of a high window myself.

• Like x 3
  11. Fish butt

HE IS SO PUNCHABLE

• Like x 3
  12. winterykite

id be carwful if i were you, he might just interpret it as you wanting to start as his sidekicks.

but do tell me when you plan on doing, ill bring popcorn.

13. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Othar interprets existing while boob-bearing as wanting to start as a sidekick, and the boob bearing is optional.

• Like x 2
  14. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I read as far as the castle stuff and stopped somewhere in the middle of that, not being able to stand it in week by week form; was planning to do a binge catchup sometime. You guys are inspiring me to do so.

15. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Oh dang I LOVE GIRL GENIUS. I read it a few years ago, got a bit annoyed somewhere in the castle at the slow progression, then reread and caught up two months ago. It's been a fun ride!

16. Fish butt

well, a spark that's all about art? It's like they MADE this storyline for me! Also a spark powerful enough that Klaus leaves him alone??

• Like x 1
  17. winterykite

so there's another copy of lu running about outside, and i can't wait to hear the story behind her - but part of me really wants it to be the iteration we saw in the time window in the beginning.

• Like x 1
  18. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I don't think Higgs is explicitly-in-universe confirmed Jagermonster. No one has come right out and said that, basically. Also I love all the Heterodyne merch in Paris, it's great.

• Like x 2
  19. winterykite

No new stuff from Lu proper.
    Zola mentioning her family having hidden Loremistress Milvistle, learning from her, combating the control.
    Zola referring to Lu as a fraud.

What if the Queen of Dawn is not Lucrezia, but instead her sister Demonica (or Serpentina, for that matter), having reverse-engineered the control from the defense mechanism?

20. winterykite

So, Dad is up to date with GG, and I talked some geography with him.

Mechanicsburg is probably based on Sighișoara / Schässburg. Sighișoara, unlike Sibiu, has a central castle hill, and lies in a more mountainous area. It, as well, lies on a large salt deposit, meaning you can probably find fossils there (see Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess, footnote 4).

Beetleburg, both from size and what little we see of its surroundings, is more likely to be the city based on Sibiu / Hermannstadt.

Balan's Gap and Sturmhalten would have a good match in Brașov / Kronstadt, which lies about 117 km from Sighișoara on a pass. Fun fact: The forest between Brașov and Sighișoara is called "Geisterwald" - Ghost Forest.

From the single shot we got of Wulfenbach, it might have been based on Sighișoara, too, because of the central castle hill.

The Danube is about 400 km from Sighișoara and Sibiu.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice