glass party!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by blue, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

MY KILN IS HERE. THIS IS SO EXCITING it means i should be able to do my first glassblowing ON MY BIRTHDAY, GUYS.

#who needs an actual glassblowing torch #old welding torches will work right #they run on propane #budget glassblowing

• Like x 5
  2. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

chanting: kiln kiln kiln kiln kiln kiln kiln

#huzzah for nai! #do the thign #make the glass #show it to us

• Like x 3
  3. Starcrossedsky

I'M GONNA DO THE THING.

Thlook at it's actually really interesting to me to look at the "hand made blown glass" beads on etsy. They're all in basically the same style? They're all "this was clearly blown from a piece of tubing/cane with thin stripes that was twisted" in the style of the ones from chinese imports even if they're supposedly, you know, NOT chinese imports.

I'm like "where the fuck's the frit, though" so that's probably where I'll be starting.

• Like x 2
  4. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

@Starcrossedsky yo hmu with that frit, i am tentatively trying to start a jewelry business and will 100000% purchase pretty one-of-a-kind glass bead bits from you if you're open to selling

5. blue

blue hightown funk you up

oh @rats I have black frit now! I still am not a bead person, I'm not trying to edge out @Starcrossedsky, I was just reminded that I have New Things To Experiment with now.

Although right now the art room is full of kitten germs and I don't want to track them out so I'm waiting.

• Like x 1
  6. Starcrossedsky

@bluefox we're chill, fused and lampwork are different niches anyway

But @rats I'm actually trying to get my own lineup going! [stares @ massive pile of hairstick plans] so I'll probably hold off at least until I have a slightly better idea of what I'm doing.

• Like x 1
  7. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

I should start making beads again. They're kind of tricky because of chemistry mixing colours differently turns the glass brown, like blue and yellow, for example, instead of green. Sorry. I can't words tonight.
    So most of my beads that I've made are oddly swirled browns.

8. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

huh, never had that happen. Is this a boro/hard glass thing?

9. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

Possibly? I don't know that much about it.
    I haven't done too much research, just my own experimenting, and besides the stained glass I did a little bit in junior high, that's the extent of my experience with glass. I never really got good with the beads because my da started reloading bullets in the same area where I had been doing the beads and I was too afraid to ever work there again, on account of I don't trust gunpowder or explosives.

10. blue

Tell me about your workspaces!

Currently, I'm set up in a room in the basement. But I hate it, because there are no windows and I have to go into goddamned seclusion any time I want to work on stuff. But the advantage is - our basement isn't finished, and people don't hang out down there, and it's not so much a problem if there are tiny pieces of glass everywhere. (My dad has nerve problems in his feet, so if he stepped on something he might not notice, and that could be really bad.. but everyone wears shoes in the basement anyway!)

So I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to work in a finished room and keep the debris contained. I guess I could vacuum every five seconds. :P

11. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

@bluefox you could work on top of newspaper, or a work mat or something! less cleanup required :D

12. Starcrossedsky

Fitting because today's objective is to start cleaning out the part of the Big Shed that's going to be my workspace! Which mostly involves shoving dead clothes onto/into dead cars until I have enough space for a table. Then gotta get an extension cord out there... sigh. But nothing happens if I don't start.

(The good thing about working in the Big Shed is that I won't have to worry about ventilation. It's fully the size of a house with no walls, several unfinished windows, and two "doors" that are two-story-tall garage doors with tarps over them. I think ventilation is covered.)

Seconding @rats about working over newspaper or something.

• Like x 2
  13. blue

gnnnhhrrrr

I tried photographing earrings today - my mom lent me her lightbox setup - and it is harder than I expected! Admittedly, what I expected was "I try it and immediately produce excellent photos," but. I think I'll wait until she's around to talk me through it.

• Like x 2
  14. blue

[​IMG]

Second attempt is going better!

• Like x 9
  15. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

holy shit those are gorgeous *glares at bank account*

• Like x 2
  16. blue

I'll link you guys when I get the Storenvy up and running :D

• Like x 3
  17. Starcrossedsky

18. Starcrossedsky

auuuugh creationismessy put out three new purples and I want ALL of them

also franz art glass has dichro in their freebie choices omg

• Like x 1
  19. blue

fenris pendant!
    [​IMG]
    sneaky fenhawke!
    [​IMG]

• Like x 4
  20. Starcrossedsky

OKAY today ordered a hot head torch and four more colors of CiM (two blues, an orange, and a PINK light kill me pinks are so expensive).

EDIT: MOTHERFUCK and I forgot to include freebies in my order instructions, this is what I get for ordering with my mom. I'm such a fizzlebrain.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice