Goods and Services Thread (or, The Marketplace)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Kaylotta, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

• Like x 1
  2. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

Thank you!

3. ADigitalMagician

ADigitalMagician The Ranty Tranny

Exclusively for Kintsugijin:

Pay What You Want Freelance Consultancy

Freelancing is hard as hell, and getting started freelancing has so many pitfalls that can make you hate your craft.

Nowadays most everyone knows I'm a software developer who does a lot of web development. But that wasn't the beginning of my path, and I've got some interesting background:

• I have an associate of applied sciences in Management Information Systems with multiple honors. (Cum laude and secretary of my local Alpha Beta Gamma honor society.)
    • I've got about two years of small business management experience, about four years of book keeping experience.
    • I freelanced for survival for about a year
    I'm not saying I was great at what I did. I made freelancing mistakes. I made management gaffs. But I learned from them and my passion still includes small businesses.

So, want help launching your freelancing? (Art commissions are a form of freelancing!) Email me at pathunstrom at gmail and put Freelance Help in the subject line. In the body, give me your kintsugi username and tell me where you are in your freelancing journey, what your ideal freelancing situation is, and we will talk about what you'll need.

Payment:

When I say what you want/can, I mean it: I'll take "i can't afford it" as payment right now. I'll also take Steam codes, dedicated fan works, art pieces, the spirit of your first born, you know, typical barter system.

• Like x 6
  4. LilacMercenary

LilacMercenary Well-Known Member

Does anybody here take knitting commissions? I might have to pay per inch of sock for a while, but I freaking love things people knit for me and I'm the only person in my social circle who does it. I'll probably just start throwing money at you and crying, it'll be gross and snotty xD

• Like x 2
  5. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

@LilacMercenary I was just deciding with my sister tonight that we really need to hammer out our knit commissions page. Obvs it's not written, but the short answer is YES, either me or my sister can probably knit it :-D prices are really dependent on size/complexity of project and yarn used - the shawl commission I just delivered tonight was $40 for a lace shawl in color blocks, and the chunky beanie I made for my wife earlier this month I would charge something like $5 for. feel free to PM me with questions!

• Like x 1
  6. LilacMercenary

@Kit homygosh, are you serious? I'd expect a lace shawl to go for at least $70 or $80 at the bare minimum! I'm super excited, but I wanna pay you guys what you're worth, knitting is a really long, skilled... well, skill :P

7. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

@LilacMercenary 1) it was my first shawl, 2) it was a really simple lace pattern, and 3) it was in chunky yarn so it worked up quickly. I calculated $40 by my knitting speed factor (a test knit hat took me x hours multiplied by hourly wage divided by yardage) times yarn price per yard times an additional factor for lace and colorwork. Like, if you wanted to pay me more I would not say no :-D but I figured that my calculations came out to something fair?

I'd make my hourly wage higher if I was like a super experienced knitter, but I've been doing this for less than a year so I'm currently only giving myself an "hourly" rate at an 'apprentice skill' level, not mastercraft anything.

8. LilacMercenary

Aaah, okay! Maybe my oh-god-you're-charging-a-dollar-an-hour-minus-etsy's-cut frustrations with people are showing through a little bit, sorry for doubting you knew what you're doing! :-D
    Sending you a message when my cookies are out of the oven, feel free to add on a little extra to your quote tho! =)

• Like x 1
  9. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Hey, I was wondering if anyone who did fibercraft kinda stuff might help me with a Christmas present for my little bro. He likes these little plush things called Tsum Tsums. He also likes these things, and I want to see if anyone would combine the two, and how much that would cost.

Also, he has a shirt idea, very simple, a plain black shirt with an Temmie "hOI!" on it, slightly off center. I think that'd be easy to get if I were a knowy person, but I am not. Anyone know how to go about getting shirts made? Thanks.

10. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

I don't knit, but I do crochet! I haven't done socks but I have done slippers, amigurumi and a bunch of shrugs and shawls.

• Like x 1
  11. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

@tinyhydra the shirt is definitely the easy part-- michaels sells plain t shirts and fabric paint in like a million colors!

• Like x 1
  12. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Oh, right! I remember that from when mom did crafts! Also, I found a person who makes homemade tsum tsums, and I'm gonna try and make the chocobo myself. I've never sewn before, bt mom has and she said she'd help! Want to do something special for him. He's my favorite person. Have a lot of time to get it right.

• Like x 2
  13. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

So heyyy.
    As Kay says here, we are planning a craft store at some point in the future
    And I was wondering, for research reasons, what people would want to see in a thing like this.
    Specific ideas, general ideas, anything under the sun.
    This isnt likely to get out of the planning and preparing stage for at least a year or maybe two, but I am one hell of a planner, and if I could work on things in my spare time that would eventually be used, doing the creative shit wouldnt be as hard. :l
    So, ideas?

14. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I'm not sure if it counts, but I started a Patreon! My intention is to post my comic pages there one page at a time (for patrons only), then post them publicly in five-to-ten-page chunks about a week onwards. In other words, patronage means early access, and if you pledge $15 a month or more, you'll get some other nifty things! There'll also be monthly patron-only streams. :D

Here's a link! And here's the Tumblr post I made about it, if you wanna signal boost it.

15. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

i'm in seattle and don't have a job right now so i'd really appreciate commissions or something. i don't know.

you can check out my site it's pretty up to date on prices and things.

http://sretan.weebly.com/

16. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

i'm looking at starting up cross-stitch commissions! you can see my stuff over in the fiber arts thread and in the Craft Nerd Herd thread. I'm still pondering a price scale, but if you would like something, hit me up and we'll work it out. :D

17. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

So with both Christmas and SacAnime coming up soon, I could use some extra dough for prezzies and cosplay supplies. As such, I'm having a sale: busts or headshots for $5 apiece! (They're normally 7 or 8 bucks, so I'd say this is a pretty decent deal.) They make great avatars and I try to make them as nice as I can (and they're pretty quick to do, which is a plus).

Here's more info--if you could reblog the post that'd be AWESOME! <3

18. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

yo!

Have you got a favourite quote or saying that you'd like to have hanging on your wall, or tucked in a book, but you've just never found the right illustration? I do custom cross-stitch, and you should commission me! Either tell me what you'd like, or find a physical or digital picture, and we can talk! You can check out some of my previous work here. (or in the fiber arts! thread.)

rough prices (negotiable depending on difficulty of pattern)
    bookmark: $10-15
    small (up to ~3"x5") sampler, framed: up to $30
    medium sampler, framed: $30-75
    large (8"x10" or more) sampler, framed: $75 and up

I'm also looking into making buttons/badges ... so keep an eye out for that!

• Like x 6
  19. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

• Like x 1
  20. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Is it that thing they sent into space?

Edit: This thing!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice