Grammar Help Oh God Please

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by keltka, Feb 13, 2017.

1. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

Yup, it's OMW!! Her codes are Not At All Consistent, Except When They Are.

2. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

.....incredible

• Like x 1
  3. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

Still have no idea what's going on with #1, but I agree with MC for #2
    Can't even find what IC is for @__@
    Like in general the concepts seem decently enough explained but I really wish there was a list of some kind with all the codes and what they're referring to

• Like x 1
  4. keltka

Agreed :/ I'm thinking of trying to make one up but idk if she'd Approve of that, but bluh, does it even MATTER at this point

5. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Sentence #2 might be DM for dangling modifier (if you search 'having' in the doc, it brings you to the example pretty quickly). If it's a modifier thing, it could be MM on the outside, but that's for when something is attached to the wrong noun, and this just doesn't fit in the sentence.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    • Like x 1
  6. keltka

hokay so what I've got so far is that
    2 - MC or DM or MM
    4 - PS-1
    6 - PC-5
    7 - OMW

you guys are all saviors honestly I keep getting 7.14 out of 25 as a score on this

7. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Sorry, just pulling everything together because I'm making myself dizzy trying to keep track of all the pieces

Sentence 1: awk (awkward)? If there's a code about not defining an acronym the first time it's used, the sentence violates that (I don't see any rule for this). If you're supposed to be complaining about the gerund, it would be ger (but the gerund looks okay to me, the sentence is just clumsy). Yeah, awk is the best I can figure for this one, sorry :P
    Sentence 2: MC (mixed construction) or MM (misplaced modifier)
    Sentence 3: IC (incomplete construction, but this abbreviation would be Inc in her original list)
    Sentence 4: P-S1 (used a semicolon instead of a colon)
    Sentence 5: frag (fragment, no verb)
    Sentence 6: P-C5 (need commas on coordinate adjectives)
    Sentence 7: OMW (were vs was)

(I think IC might be meant to stand for Incomplete Construction to go with MC, but that's not in line with the acronyms she lists)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    • Like x 1
  8. keltka

Oops, I think I meant Inc and put IC and holy hecking hell thank you so much Spock, that makes sense
    She did "hint" that there was one that wasn't wrong, but I don't honestly know if I trust anything from her anymore
    THANK YOU SO MUCH.

• Like x 1
  9. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i'm just looking at this like, holy hell, this is aunt josephine-levels of obsession over grammar. i don't think i'll be much help here, but, yikes. witnessed.

• Like x 3
  10. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

omf

Even aon is horrified. Wow.

• Like x 1
  11. keltka

@garden honestly I'm just kind of. crying. like. it seems like it'd be really helpful when she's correcting shit? but setting it up as a test the way she did is...certifiably fucking insane lmao

@Aondeug this prof is Really Funny but dear god this grammar shit

• Like x 2
  12. keltka

@ Everyone who helped thank you so so so much!!
    I'm...starting to think she set us up to fail on Purpose, because, erm
    I retook the thing, with the answers y'all helped me with (thank you so much @spockandawe for all of that, holy SHIT)
    and I got a 14.29?
    like. what. okay. I don't even understand her. this is insane

seriously though thank you so so so much I don't think I could've gotten past a 7 without your help aAAAAA.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice