Gravity Falls!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Acey, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Yeah, there's a lot more pointing to Stanford having more going on with him than Stanley. Stan might be a pawn, (I think he's likely had some contact with Bill before, possibly, given his role in Dreamscaperers) but it's not as big as things like Ford not casting a shadow when he fixes the lightbulb in Stanchurian Candidate (where "must cast a shadow" is on the list of things the mayor must be able to do).

I dunno. Stan Is Not What He Seems, and all that, I guess, but which is that "Stan" referring to, and in what way are they other than they seem? We shall see, I suppose.

• Like x 3
  2. Petra

Petra space case

I just find it hilarious that they bill-proofed the house, and then decide to GO ON A ROAD TRIP.

• Like x 6
  3. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

the best plan. yes, totally. there is NO WAY THIS CAN GO WRONG

• Like x 3
  4. Piratical

Piratical Dis-member

Finally got to watch The Last Mabelcorn - HOLY CRAP.

• Like x 1
  5. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

Seconded. That was a lot.

• Like x 1
  6. emythos

yeeeeeeeeesssssssss :D
    PUNCH THOSE FUCKING UNICORNS RIGHT IN THE SNOUT

• Like x 4
  7. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

I am amazed by just how much The Last Mabelcorn got away with, censorship-wise. Like that was a conga line of getting crap past the radar. And it wouldn't have happened if Wendy didn't develop that plan. Like, holy crap, was gnome drug busting part of her plan? BECAUSE I KINDA DO WISH IT REALLY WAS.

• Like x 4
  8. Petra

Petra space case

I don't know if anyone pointed this out in this thread before, but!

[​IMG]

That is absolutely a mezuzah by the door! That, combined with Mama Pines' phone psychic business, tells me the older Pines family was jewish but probably not particularly devout, considering divination is forbidden!

• Like x 8
  9. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Yeah, I saw that on the tumblrs and! I am just so freaking irrationally happy. I don't think I've ever seen a kids show that had Judaism show up at any time other than during the Christmas special so that there could be something about Hannukah. I just -
    :DDDDDDDD

• Like x 3
  10. Piratical

Piratical Dis-member

I've headcanoned the pines family as jewish for a while, so it's cool to see some confirmation! :D I think the last show I can think of that fufills KarrinBlue's criteria is.... rugrats?

• Like x 3
  11. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

I also love how it's not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Like, you can tell the Pines are all 'lol cool whatever' when it comes to their possible Judaic origins. Maybe it's censorship, but I wouldn't really care if it was, you know what I'm saying?

• Like x 3
  12. KarrinBlue

Actually it feels more honest to me! I mean, my family has mezuzahs on the doorways, but we don't really observe all that much. It's pretty similar to what I see the Pines family doing, really.

• Like x 3
  13. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

That makes sense! I know Alex Hirsch did draw them celebrating Christmas at one point, but that was in response to people being jerks, and it's entirely possible that the other side of Dipper and Mabel's family is Gentile (is that capitalized? idk) and it's the Pines side that's Jewish, IMO.

Plus the idea of Mabel having a light-up sweater menorah that she wears all through Hanukkah is too perfect.

...And now I want fic about their B'nai Mitzvah ceremonies. I've been to a few of them and while they're beautiful ceremonies, they're also the kind of thing that I can see going horribly wrong, in the "wacky comedy of errors" sort of way. (In fairness, this applies to all significant life events and ceremonies. If something can go wrong, someone needs to write a silly fanfic about it going wrong.)

• Like x 6
  14. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

Realtalk: reform temple, joint ceremony, dipper tried so hard to keep it serious but Mabel was just like break out the candy to throw, suckers. I'm ready.

• Like x 8
  15. Acey

YESSSSS YES GOOD. <3

• Like x 1
  16. KarrinBlue

I'm pretty sure that Grunkle Stan would give them weapons in place of traditional money/gifts. As would Ford, considering recent events.

Any thought on what they might give speeches about? Monsters in the old stories?

• Like x 3
  17. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

Bud Gleeful is like Bill Dautreive if he was more successful in life.

• Like x 3
  18. Acey

Definitely sounds like Dipper's chosen subject. :D

• Like x 2
  19. Socratease

Socratease Well-Known Member

20. emythos

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice