Gravity Falls!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Acey, Feb 25, 2015.

1. soulsuckingisaacnewton

soulsuckingisaacnewton strange fuzzy creature

...the Bill graffiti in the background? Did Bill's motley crew draw it? Is someone in town trying to curry favor with their new overlord? Have people started worshipping Bill? (One of Gideon's henchmen did refer to Bill as a "chaos god", which I was surprised Disney was ok with.)

(...I kind of want to see people worshipping Bill. Horrifying fictional cults that want things no sensible human should want are a weakness of mine.)

• Like x 4
  2. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

• Like x 1
  3. cleverThylacine

I saw all that. I also noticed someone that looked a lot like Cthulhu running around. I'm sure there are cults. I mean what with Bill basically being the Illuminati symbol and all. It's kind of Mythos-y. Also I'm not too surprised that "chaos god" got through--it's a lot more acceptable than "demon" in many circles...

• Like x 1
  4. soulsuckingisaacnewton

It's not so much the term "chaos god" specifically as the fact that a character was referred to as any sort of god. But I suppose you make a good point; if "demon" is acceptable then "god" isn't that surprising.

5. cleverThylacine

Disney has to have loosened up some since they took Marvel on. I mean, Loki.

• Like x 2
  6. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

Oh... oh my
    Looked in the comments section of the AV Club article, and...

[​IMG]

Can anyone confirm these two claims by Lydia and Franklin? And if so...
    ALEX HIRSCH WHY

Edit:
    nah, it's gold
    Edit #2:
    From Wikipedia: "Yellow is the official color of the armor branch of the U.S. Army, used in insignia, etc.,"

and

"The yellow ribbon is also an emblem for suicide awareness. "The Yellow Ribbon Suicide Prevention Program" is a community-based program primarily developed to address youth/teen/young adult suicides (ages 10–25) through public awareness campaigns, education and training and by helping communities build capacity." The program began in September 1994 after the suicide of 17-year-old Mike Emme.

and

"Additionally, the yellow ribbon is the emblem color for endometriosis. Yellow ribbons are common for endometriosis sufferers/supporters and is a common color for fundraising products."

to continue on that

"Endometriosis is a disease in which tissue that normally grows inside the uterus grows outside it.[1] The main symptoms are pelvic pain and infertility."

...well at least we can rule out one thing.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  7. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

The Wendy's Mom quote is from Bill's AMA, idk about the other one and I don't have time for a rewatch right now

8. soulsuckingisaacnewton

• Like x 7
  9. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

The delightful thing about kids' shows is you can put in plenty of violence and body horror as long as it's bloodless. Which is also, I imagine, how Legend of Korra got away with it.

• Like x 2
  10. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

[​IMG]
    Notice that the left arm of that ribbon is on top, and the ribbon is a solid, bright yellow.

Now, I don't know much about ribbons, but I assumed that, whichever ribbon it is has to be based on how it is displayed here. I don't know if there has to be a consistency on how a ribbon is displayed IRL, but I assume there has to be if different causes uses the same color. I found nothing solid on that, though, but I did notice an odd consistency if we are to assume the loop at the top bubbles out, though it could be coincidence. The Army ribbon's right arm is on top. Suicide awareness appears to generally have the left arm on top. Now, I assume that if Wendy's Mom is to be brought up, Army would probably be the more family-friendly option to take that character, and Dan does appear to be the kind of guy to support our troops, especially if one of them happened to be his wife. Plus as we've seen with Wendy herself, she might've gotten her badass genes from her Mom instead of Dan, given how she is able to thrive in the Weirdpocalypse yet Dan, who made his whole family train for such an event in lieu of Christmas, is shown trembling in Bill's opening. Not to mention that the yellow suicide awareness ribbon is generally for youth and young adult suicides. On the other hand, in the last episode, Wendy does say that she wishes she were 12 again. Might just be from the woes of puberty, might be from the woes of her family, which she reveals to be a current thing in the Blind Eye episode. Given what Gravity Falls has been able to accomplish in terms of death, even if it has to be incredibly implied, they could still do it. And who knows? It could be a twofer for what we know about military involvement and higher rates of suicide.

And it could be possible that even the crew has no idea which is which, but I'm going to go on the opinion Wendy's Mom probably did kill herself.

...great it's not like i start a new job tomorrow morning nope i'm perfectly fine

Also: How old do you think the youngest Corduroy is? He appears to be around 10-12.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    • Like x 1
  11. cleverThylacine

I have no idea how old the youngest Corduroy is, but Wendy's 15 so if he is 10-12, she had a bunch of kids right in a row.

That in itself could be overwhelming and a high risk for suicide.

I'm also starting to support the idea of Dipper/Wendy in about 5 years when their 2.5 year age difference won't be such a big deal. They're such a great team and they're really comfortable with each other.

12. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

Apparently they actually upped the rating of the show from kid to teen with "fantasy violence" or s/t because of this episode, according to my brother at least

13. cleverThylacine

It doesn't really seem like a show that little kids would enjoy anyway. Everyone that I know who watches it is either a teenager or an adult.

14. cleverThylacine

Bill didn't draw the wheel though, did he? Ford did. And odds are since he didn't know a lot of the people involved when he drew it he may not have known who was which symbol. Which means that if Bill has access to the image from having been in Ford's head he will only know what Ford knew then.

So Bill may not actually be aware of who he needs to either take better care of or kill dead immediately, which...is fine by me.

• Like x 2
  15. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Okay that episode was fucked up and it fucked me up. And BILL'S HAT IS MADE OF FLESH WTF. (I...don't think that counts as a spoiler but it was weird.)

Also Wendy is a badass and I love her. Apocalypse training instead of Christmas sounds like a bummer though. D:

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT GABU NOW I'M SAD. :(
    (this is why we're bffs <3)

16. cleverThylacine

Bill's hat is part of his physical form. It's not like he wears clothes. *shrug* (Bill in clothes would be so hilarious.)

I cannot imagine Bill as a human being, it just breaks my brain. He doesn't even like humans, he just possesses them so he can play with their bodies and use them to achieve his goals--until he gets a better alternative.

I am still not OK with this state of affairs, I hope this is not the beginning of a long hiatus.

17. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

My little brother loves the show, and he's not even ten yet.

• Like x 1
  18. soulsuckingisaacnewton

@Bel Capricorn how did your brother respond to the latest episode, if he's seen it? Did he find it disturbing?

19. cleverThylacine

I would have too, but I'm not used to thinking of me as the average kid. I'm glad he likes it and I hope he's not too traumatised!

20. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

He hasn't seen the last few episodes, due to a combination of "we were supposed to watch these together, but now one of our siblings is away for school" and "what do you mean the episode isn't on On Demand, it came out a week ago". The most recent one he's seen is Stanchurian Candidate as far as I know

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice