Gravity Falls!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Acey, Feb 25, 2015.

1. soulsuckingisaacnewton

soulsuckingisaacnewton strange fuzzy creature

I really like this analysis. I don't think either of them understand each other very well, really. With the perpetual motion machine incident and with the portal fight, much grief could have been avoided if they had sat down and talked openly about their feelings and intentions before taking action. With a pathological liar and an emotionally unavailable, materialistic cinderblock for parents, and without friends outside of each other, they didn't have much chance to learn about healthy emotional expression and honest communication.

Yeah. Ford does tend to prioritize saving the universe over personal relationships (which I think is eminently sensible, although that seems to be a controversial position in the fandom at large). I don't think he'd blow her off if she approached him during a non-crisis moment and asked him to hang out, though.

I'm not sure how I expect him to respond to this. A lot of people thought he would flip out when he found out that Dipper had made a deal with Bill in the past, but he wasn't mad at Dipper at all. Of course, the consequences of this were... rather more dire, and Mabel's motives and feelings might be harder for him to understand.

• Like x 1
  2. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

That is an advantage the younger twins have over the older ones. Mabel and Dipper are incredibly different, but fundamentally they understand each other.

• Like x 2
  3. NutDragon

NutDragon Member

On why Mabel doesn't approach Ford, remember that he promised not to involve the kids at the end of atots and he kept that promise, acting dismissive towards Dipper's attempts to offer and help him, at the beginning of d d & more d until the d38 rolled into his lab and he had gamer feelings. So it could be that Mabel did try and approach him during the time between the two episodes and was rebuffed. After all, Stan made Ford make the promise after the kids were out of earshot, and the kids' dialogue shows they were at least aware that Ford didn't want them in his lab and seemed to be standoffish to them.

• Like x 3
  4. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Exactly! And, thanks :)

(Someday, Valiska will realise that she blamed Ford for something Stanley did. Her alchemical experiments did not react well to the local disturbances in the time-space continuum of Dimension 52 when Ford went back through the portal.)

• Like x 1
  5. cleverThylacine

She knew nothing about it.

• Like x 1
  6. cleverThylacine

here's a favourite thing of mine -- I love it when people do the art videos...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    • Like x 2
  7. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

• Like x 1
  8. cleverThylacine

man IDK, I just love all these.

• Like x 3
  9. prismaticvoid

oh noooo not that song

10. cleverThylacine

sorry?

I don't really care for the song itself but I like it in the video because feels. Especially Ford feels (shocker) and Mabel feels.

11. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I read Prismatic's comment as more 'oh god that song hurts me in my emotion places'

• Like x 3
  12. cleverThylacine

Me too, but there is a song from the 60s that is an actual PTSD trigger for me so I never know. However, I have yet to see that song turn up in an AMV and I don't feel like posting on a public forum exactly what song will ruin my day because I think of everyone who reads this thread as my friend but that doesn't mean people who are not my friends can't see it.

• Like x 1
  13. prismaticvoid

@cryptoThelematrix apologies, I did in fact mean that I like the song and it hurts me. You're fine!

• Like x 1
  14. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

For the record, I just watched several videos of Louis CK doing stand up. Not only did Gravity Falls get Louis CK to voice a giant head in the latest episode, but they made the giant head look like him.

My mind is blown guys. This is the biggest bombshell of the show everybody go home the show's over now

• Like x 2
  15. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

Oh my god, that was Louis CK?

• Like x 3
  16. cleverThylacine

So, for the shitposting RPG, when I made the subs for @the author speaks and @Professora Valiska initially, I typoed Panarcanium Polytechnic University (in Dimension 52) as Panarcanium PYROtechnic University. I think that's kind of hilarious given the context of all the Pines pyros.

• Like x 2
  17. cleverThylacine

IDK. Having found myself needing to think about how Ford would feel knowing that Mabel did what she did today I came to the conclusion that it might just about break him. He's been the betrayer. He knows exactly how she feels looking at all this chaos and understanding that she caused it. I would actually be surprised if his reaction was anything but abject horror on her behalf at having been tricked into that situation.

Maybe I love him too much but I actually think he's the best person she could ever tell. Nobody else would get it.

• Like x 3
  18. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

19. soulsuckingisaacnewton

soulsuckingisaacnewton strange fuzzy creature

I could definitely see that. As I think I've mentioned before, I see parallels to Dipper's deal with Bill; it's not as catastrophic, but a lot of people in the fandom were assuming that when Ford, who'd written all those blood-stained warnings about Bill, found out about that, he would be angry and cease to trust Dipper. And then when he did find out, he was actually sympathetic, because he'd been tricked by Bill too. (Sometimes I think about what a huge thing TLM must have been for Dipper: to finally learn some hard facts about Bill's agenda, to be told that he'd responded well when he thought he was actually facing Bill again, and to help set up the wards at the end. That was the first time he'd actually been able to take concrete action to protect himself and his loved ones from Bill. Even if the events leading up to it were terrifying while they were happening, I imagine that Dipper felt really empowered at the end.)

On the other hand... Dipper made a deal with Bill out of desperation for knowledge (and because his judgement was compromised by sleep deprivation). Mabel handed over the rift because she was afraid of the future and wanted to keep her sibling by her side. I as a viewer saw parallels to the perpetual motion machine incident in the latter situation, and I really hope Ford doesn't see them as well and react based on that. I don't necessarily think that this reaction is more likely than what @cryptoThelematrix suggests, but I can't entirely dismiss the possibility. I don't think Ford sees Dipper and Mabel as carbon copies of himself and Stan, but I do think he projects a little.

Heck, maybe he'll see both... and then what?

• Like x 3
  20. cleverThylacine

also I think it would especially cut Ford to the bone if he suspected that Mabel became the betrayer in part because of his actions, which, she kinda did.

@the author speaks has also been ruminating in the back of my head (regarding the shitposting game) about the difference between a grown man who gives himself as a lover (however badly-advised) and what we call it when people take 13 year old girls up on offers like that, which I would not expect to see in canon of course.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    • Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice