Gravity Falls!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Acey, Feb 25, 2015.

1. soulsuckingisaacnewton

soulsuckingisaacnewton strange fuzzy creature

Inspired by a post in tumblr.txt, but didn't want to derail that thread with GF chatter again, so here:

Trans girl Grenda seems very plausible to me. I've also had the thought that Candy might be nonbinary or transmasculine.
    The first thing that made me think of it was a line in The Last Mabelcorn. In her inspirational speech to Candy and Grenda, Wendy says, "We're women and we take what we want!" When the three of them storm the gnome tavern, Candy shouts, "We are humans! We take what we want!" Invoking the fact of their humanity could just be an attempt to intimidate their small, non-human opponents (although if Mabel has shared anything about her past experiences with gnomes with her friends, they'll know that gnomes don't seem to be particularly afraid of humans). It occurred to me, however, that this line could also imply that Candy is uncomfortable with being referred to as a woman, or at least considers the term inaccurate.

I also remembered that in Carpet Diem, Candy seems totally comfortable and even excited about being swapped into (as far as we know) male-assigned bodies. This is a striking contrast from how Dipper and Mabel reacted to finding themselves in bodies of a type they aren't used to. Of course, from an out-of-universe perspective, having everyone who got involved in the big body-switching pileup at the end flip out like Dipper and Mabel did would be repetitive and not very funny. Out-of-universe perspective doesn't have to influence headcanon development, though. It's also interesting to note that Candy usually wears traditionally feminine clothing, such as skirts for casual wear and a fancy dress for the party in NWMM. Obviously that doesn't preclude a person identifying as something other than female, but it would suggest that Candy is okay with being read as female by casual observers.

Writing about a character without using any pronouns to refer to said character is hard.

• Like x 7
  2. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

and since that reminded of it, i'm gonna mention that i've wondered about how in au in which the stans weren't both cis men (for example, a boy and girl pair like dipper and mabel, or if one was a cis man and the other was a trans man, or they were both girls), the nameswitch and whatnot would play out. 'cause, well, that part of their narrative does seems rather dependent on them being cis men. not as overtly as alanna's from the song of lioness series relies on her being a cis woman but enough that i think it would make a difference to it if they weren't.

so yeah, does that make any sense?

• Like x 3
  3. soulsuckingisaacnewton

@unknownanonymous
    Here is a pair of fanfics where Ford is a trans woman, but never recognized herself as such until she was an adult in Gravity Falls. I've seen other speculation about gender-AU Stans on tumblr before, but these fics are the only ones I really liked.

• Like x 1
  4. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

thanks! :D

• Like x 1
  5. soulsuckingisaacnewton

We have a trailer and air date for Weirdmageddon part 3! February 15th, 2016.

Edit: Hmmm, video got taken down.
    Edit edit: Found another upload of the video.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    • Like x 2
  6. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

WE ARE CANCELING THE WEIRDPOCALYPSE AHHHHHH

• Like x 3
  7. prismaticvoid

This is such a quality fic ahh
    “You’re still trying to impress him and he’s been dead for nearly twenty years!”

• Like x 1
  8. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Well, that's one pacific rim reference. Any bets on Dipper and mabel piloting a McGucket-made Jaeger?

• Like x 7
  9. prismaticvoid

YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION (rediscovered Pacific Rim recently and was like holy special interest, Batman)

• Like x 3
  10. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

That could be fun.

• Like x 1
  11. soulsuckingisaacnewton

What do you all think of this theory? (Weirdmageddon part 3 speculation, all appropriate spoiler warnings apply )
    In summary, the idea is that the Pines family's "ultimate sacrifice" mentioned in the description of Weirdmageddon pt 3 is the destruction of the Mystery Shack. It seems plausible to me, and I'd rather see that than the death of any of the central cast.

• Like x 4
  12. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

Ford identifies as a car and I'm writing the dumbest fic I'll ever write based on this headcanon fite me

As a semi-related tangent, if Ford does dies in a sea of flames, would that make him a Ford Pinto?

• Like x 3
  13. prismaticvoid

...goddammit

14. soulsuckingisaacnewton

New trailer for Weirdmageddon part 3!

• Like x 1
  15. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

AN HOUR!!!!!!???!!!!!!

• Like x 2
  16. soulsuckingisaacnewton

Not sure if that's with or without commercials, but yeah. AN HOUR!!!!!!

• Like x 1
  17. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

Ford has become one with the casmos

• Like x 1
  18. soulsuckingisaacnewton

I am at least 98% sure that that image of Ford standing in a galaxy is just an illusion created by Bill. Possibly trying to tempt Ford to join him, although my personal interpretation of Bill's previous proposal to that effect is that it was more of a taunt than a serious offer. I also saw someone else make the suggestion that Bill is trying to trick other characters into thinking Ford has joined him. Whatever the case may be, I find it highly implausible that Ford will actually join Bill.

• Like x 3
  19. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

I refuse to believe that's anything than a "Bill, I am about to fuck you over so hard, you asshole" grin until and unless proven otherwise. I'm frankly more concerned about the part where Bill is keeping him chained up and drinking a martini. This man does not need any more PTSD.

• Like x 3
  20. prismaticvoid

Seconding this request!

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice