gryphon culture and chaos gods

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by caiosverse, Jul 3, 2017.

1. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

fuck i forgot to post this here?

• Like x 1
  2. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

i guess you had no idea.png
    you could have persuaded me.png

montreal by the weeknd is a post-crisis litai song and i will make a video out of it if it kills me
    i have a few more frames of these sketched out but only two actually "finished"

• Like x 1
  3. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

estelith.png
    Her

• Agree x 1
  4. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

caiosverse height chart.png
    HEIGHT CHART HEIGHT CHART
    the tallest one in blue is estelith. the second tallest one, in tan with the ears swept back, is kophis. the one with the torn ear in front of estel is ferra. the big thick fluffy one in red is tekai. the brown spiny one is litai, and the tiny fluffy one is illva.
    just for practical purposes illva is probably slightly larger but at least now i have a starting point.

• Winner x 1
  5. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

estelith ref.png
    broke down and made a proper ref for estel
    it's hella messy and not my best design-wise but. Her

• Like x 1
  6. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

ferralithva .png
    my brain says this would probably never happen but my heart tells me to draw ferra + estelith + illva all together
    maybe if illva ever gets her shit together this'll be canon

• Like x 1
  7. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

[considers making a trio of magpie mercenaries just so i can make a play on the "one for sorrow, two for mirth, three for a death" poem]

8. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

this used to be "mordecai and chaos kid are edge and an angry god fuses them for some reason" which is why it's called caiosverse, that's their fusion

fun fact: ferra used to be called flora and she was mordecai's uwu tiny fluffy sister who was actually an Anger Ball. i like this version of her better, and this way the "tiny anger ball" slot is still filled by illva and litai

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  9. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

the cast keeps getting bigger.. watch me end up with 20 OCs and only vague backstory

10. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

"but you should develop an actual plot-" what's that. i've never heard of it. now watch these five Sadman Litai Mopes pmvs set to songs by the weeknd

• Agree x 1
  11. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

i......broke down and made this
    super quick sketch pmv, but at least the idea is out of my head
    let's hope i can finish the other one, hm?

12. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

sonofabitch Why are there so many linkin park songs that fit.. how much of a stereotype can i be

13. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

basic butch
    okay so uhhh

basic butch
    Who's that knocking at your door?
    You've got lots to answer for
    Who's that sleeping in your bed?
    Ahh ahh ahhh

Cross your heart and hope to die
    Swear that you won't tell no lie
    Cross your heart and hope to die
    Ahh ahh ahhh

Every time you fall asleep
    Pray the lord your soul to keep
    You got problems now, my friend
    Ahh ahh ahh

You can run
    You can run
    You can run
    I don't mind
    I don't mind
    I don't mind

basic butch
    this bit inspired me but like
    i was wondering! why litai was significant to the plot
    and also i was kinda :// on a redemption arc for him because i .... don't like him he is sad and bitter and outwardly toxic and vicious, unlike tekai
    and then i was... hm
    so in my first incarnation
    there was some ~evil force~ which killed the gryphs in the first place and i decided to replace that with a plague bc it was.. better.
    but then okay okay so there are gods, right, and so there's some supernatural sh/t going on but i didn't have anything for antagonist creatures or villains or demons etc
    this is all connected i promise
    so i was wondering.......what if

basic butch
    after tekai runs the fuck away into the woods, litai is left behind with no voice, a damaged throat, and a hell of a lot of emotion
    and he's not good at handling it, like tekai, but unlike tekai he doesn't start to heal, there's no kophis to help him handle it (and his thought process is kinda ?? anyway)
    he doesn't heal from it bc space from his trauma for whatever reason does not help, and as time passes he starts to hate tekai more and more
    and. demon comes along.

basic butch
    (something something possession)

basic butch
    he makes a contract, emotionally fucked up but still technically willingly, for the demon to have his body and help to track down tekai (and kophis, although he doesn't know it yet)
    the contract is until death (or the demon gets his soul after death if you want to be REALLY horrible about this)
    so kophis and tekai are traveling, and kophis is still ????¿¿¿¿¿¿??¿¿ about having, yknow, an actual physical manifestation, and they're an entity that represents the unyielding force and inherent entropy of the natural world (made even more clear in this universe by the actual literal night/sun court's antagonism), but suddenly they have EMOTIONS and a LIMITED BODY and THOUGHTS and WHAT IS GOING ON

basic butch
    (explanation for why they don't immediately detect what's going on--they're not omnipotent anymore)
    and their power is still impressive, but waaaay limited. they are comparatively blind and deaf. so they can sense there's something following them, something that (unlike them) is specifically driven to hurt and kill
    but they don't know where or what and it's putting them on edge, and the demon is cunning and avoids detection
    finally, after [however long this goes on for], demon/litai confronts them

basic butch
    screwed up, body horror, limbs not where they should be, black blood and saliva and tears and oh god this thing is /wrong/
    not like kophis is, but in a more immediately fear-inspiring way
    (kophis is more.... in an ocean storm realizing you could die in an uncaring expanse of water and clouds, this thing is like facing down a rabid animal with a broken leg and no weapons)
    but despite all this, despite how thoroughly the demon has screwed up litai's body and mind, two things are true:

basic butch
    -litai recognizes tekai
    -tekai recognizes litai
    when you hate someone for that long you forget what they look like. and litai sees through eyes that aren't his anymore and he sees.....just..........tekai. smaller than he remembered, cowering, terrified
    and tekai is. just. horrified beyond words. because now he has to face not only his friend, not only the friend (ex-mate) he nearly killed and ran away from, but a thing wearing litai's body which means him harm

basic butch
    and litai almost wrests back control, determined not to hurt him, but the demon steps toward tekai and he sparks in panic and suddenly Traumatic Flashback
    (litai fuckin dies lol)
    tekai is trying to keep his fire under control desperately because he doesn't want to hurt litai (repeat the same mistake again not again not again), kophis is caught off-guard and doesn't understand what's going on with tekai
    the demon lunges for tekai, who flinches, and there's a flash of off-white fur and when the smoke and confusion and fear clears there's kophis looking down at what used to be a gryphon, before corruption
    something something demon banishing anyway litai looks up, himself again briefly, with a cut throat
    he can't talk, but he looks tekai in the eye, regret written all over his face
    kophis has weak telepathy, places a claw on his shoulder, hears "..m sorry i love you, i'm sorry, i'm sorry"

basic butch
    and then litai fucking. dies.

basic butch
    this is horrifying i love it.

basic butch
    (i'm almost regretful but also I FEAST ON YOUR TEARS,)

basic butch
    oh yeah he's fucked up he has minimal life left and he was dying even before kophis slashed his throat
    but haha another throat wound it's a metaphor,
    ANYWAY was inspired by those lines of you can run above

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  14. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

OH night and sun court i didn't mention that here, right
    i wanted zaliel to be moon aligned but the female alpha goddess to be the actual moon god
    so now the moon goddess and the sun god are somewhat like the seelie/unseelie court, although.. slightly less capricious than the fae
    not only are they moon and sun they are also the seasons. the goddess of the chill that creeps into your bones, of sharp ice and cold winds that fracture wings, is also the goddess of the cool autumn and of still water on a hot day. the god of gentle life, of warm soil and spring flowers, is also tekai's patron of uncontrolled fire and the ash it leaves behind.
    (can you tell i love dual aspects)
    this takes some inspiration from the pagan view of the year's cycle, the turning wheel

15. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

thoughts on zaliel/storyweaver:
    (alternate name: peregrine?)
    zaliel is young and a lesser divine, a minor god of love, and prone to rebellion. in their god aspect they're much colder, focused toward unrequited love, but their physical form is more emotional and warmer
    in this regard The Peregrine, when younger, was very similar. felt trapped in their flock, felt pressured to stay where they were
    zaliel began visiting them, and the two developed a friendship. though zaliel could only find the time every once in a while, they treasured the time they had together and young peregrine always looked forward to seeing them.

....not sure where the wandering comes in. but it's somewhere.
    as the year turned, zaliel could spend less and less time, and they eventually told young peregrine they were leaving soon, and couldn't come back.
    they hadn't touched, the entire time, because zaliel was afraid of losing control and turning peregrine to ash or ice.
    (and peregrine was in love with them.)
    and zaliel started running, and peregrine followed them, and they both took off and spiraled into the air, and flew until it was too high for the air to hold them any more
    and zaliel turned and circled and started to fall and peregrine followed and maybe it was the wind or the warm night or the fact they knew they'd never see zaliel again but they tucked their wings in and dived till they could lock talons
    and they felt frost creep past their claws but they held on until they lost consciousness a second later, out of nowhere
    they woke up the next day with the feeling of loss and silver markings instead of gold.
    and when they looked around them, they knew they had nothing left to stay for. and so they left, they wandered, they told stories for a spot by the fires and they knew they wouldn't return til it was time.

16. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

post-meeting with Peregrine/Storyweaver, kophis and tekai meet a strange young gryphon. they state their name as zallí.
    tekai: friendly to them
    kophis, off-screen: looks into the camera like they're on the office

17. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

upload_2017-9-11_1-36-57.png
    litai

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  18. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

the flowers are asphodel. "my regrets follow you to the grave," says the wiki article on plant symbolism

19. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

litai fullbody color ref wingless.png
    litai fullbody color ref.png
    litai fullbody color ref. still doesn't include the inside of the wing but that's okay, it's rough anyway

• Winner x 1
  20. caiosverse

caiosverse Member

gryph species part1.png

a couple different varieties of gryphon! the peregrine is from an area populated mostly by sage and grey rock, which explains their blue-gray coloring as opposed to litai (and probably illva's) different shades of brown. kophis's body was mostly cribbed from desert gryphons, but they have a thicker coat on their face and chest and weird supernatural wings.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice