Vent Have to give my ferret back.

Discussion in 'Brainbent' started by ChelG, Jan 12, 2022.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I just got a ferret three days ago. He was a perfect angel at the breeder's place but he hasn't stopped biting me since I got him home, nothing but biting me seems to entertain him (he pays no attention when I wave toys at him), and he got me so badly today that I ended up in A&E. I can't face any more of this, and I can't care for him if I can't get near him. I have to rehome him; I'm going to contact his breeder and ask for help with that. I know it's the most responsible decision for everyone involved, but it still really, really hurts to have to do. Plus I'm still in physical pain as well.

• Witnessed x 5
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

It's gonna take a few days to get him rehomed. I just want him gone, I don't want to drag this out and I don't know how I'm gonna take care of him in the meantime.

3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I think one of the fingernails he chomped is gonna come off.

4. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

I'm sorry dude that sucks
    If you have to look after him in the meantime though I'd invest in some thick gloves. Ones that cover your forearms too. Gloves might be a good idea for future ferrets too, since biting seems a pretty common stress reaction in the little weaselly bastards

5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Yeah. I have gloves, it'll be fine. My dad's gonna take him back to the breeder tomorrow. I just have to cope till then. Trying not to think of the ferret by name anymore so I don't get any more attached.

6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Look what he did.
    upload_2022-1-13_21-10-40.png upload_2022-1-13_21-11-28.png

• Witnessed x 1
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

He's back with the breeder now. Got our money back, wasn't expecting that. Going to use the refund money to go spoil myself for a little bit and think later about where I go from here.

8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The dressing came off my elbow too now.
    upload_2022-1-14_21-15-28.png

9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Sorta concerned that my neighbours didn't come to investigate the screams of pain, yells of "no!" and hysterical sobbing when it happened. I'm sure I must have sounded like someone was assaulting/murdering me. I hope they were out, otherwise I might have reason to be worried.

10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Ferret Discord says ferrets may not be the best fit for me. Only other pet I want is a cat and I'm not allowed those in my flat, though. I'd rather have no pet than a pet that's going to be worse off with me and make me worse off, but I'm still lonely.

11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'm so lonely.

12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Ferret forum said I probably shouldn't have a ferret but I don't want any other pets and the idea of never having ANY pet again is keeping me up at night crying.

13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Nothing needs me. Nothing will ever need me. Nothing exists that I can do to contribute to the life of anyone or anything. I only exist to suck up resources and waste space.

14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Given that I've been unable to look after myself since I realised I had to take him back, now specifically is a horrible time to have pets, but the idea I might NEVER be able to have any is tearing me apart.

15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'd end up relying so heavily on other people to help me take care of any pets I shouldn't have one anyway. I can't drive and I can't take animals on the bus to the vet, and my parents are still around now but won't be forever and my sister won't live within driving distance of me forever and I don't have any local friends, and the local vet I can walk to won't take ferrets. But the idea of not ever having a pet has made me feel worse than I've ever felt.

16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Much calmer now. Parents are okay with me relying on them, I just needed to be reminded. Mum's helped me track down a local ferret breeder I can talk to and be reassured.

17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

When the animal's not right there it's easy to be tangled up in thoughts of how I could never cope with it.

18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

It's also kinda been brought home to me with worrying about vet trip logistics that eventually my family members are going to die or leave, and I don't know how I'll cope when they do. I need to make more local friends but I'm not sure how.

19. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Ferrets can be pretty high maintenance, especially being exotic not-really-domesticated animals and all. But I think there's probably a good kind of pet for you out there - maybe those pet forums you were on before would have suggestions, from what you told them about your situation?

• Agree x 3
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Bite scabs are now itchy and it's very annoying.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice