Have you changed your name?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Aniseed, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

i can't believe jesse's a fusion all the time

• Like x 7
  2. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

@palindromordnilap that name is just. too much. i can't take it it's just too over the top. help

• Like x 1
  3. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

I haven't legally changed my name, because german laws are SHIT about that, but i chose a different name to go by over a year ago, not only for gender weirdness reasons, but also to distance myself from the name my family gave me, which sorta carries what my mother wanted me to be, and i am very much not that. so whenever someone calls me by my legal first name, im like, wait, no, that's wrong

bc i admire @jacktrash a lot, and my legal first name is also jessica, i went by "jesse" for a while, also bc its close to jessie/jess which is what i was called in school. but in the end, it didnt really fit

im not actually sure how exactly i ended up with "kite" (but nowadays everyone calls me by that name, except my blood family who will not get that name in the foreseeable future), but i went with a combination of meaning and sound. it was probably part of one of those terms that float about my head for a month because their flow is nice even though their combined meaning isnt always obvious (kitewinter, in this case, which is my current artist name), and i guess Kite stuck. (for me, it represents freedom, but im still tethered to the ground, i still have control over where i go, but im flying, and seeing things i wouldve never seen had i stayed where i started)
    because first name + 3 middle names is the maximum you can give a child hereabouts without paying extra, so my parents gave me 4 names:
    Jessica Katharina Deborah Arielle

in a pinch i can say that kite is a diminutive of Katharina

• Like x 1
  4. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i think ur just mad cuz ur single

[​IMG]

• Like x 5
  5. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I'm genderfluid, and I also have a craaaaapton of bad associations with my current name + middle name! I ended up going with "Kat", because that's a variant of what my mom picked for a religious-tied name (sigh) and what my birth dad was going to pick...and then my birth grandfather (grandasshole) ruined it by being all Smug and Dickish and "Kat Likes Us Better".

So that went right out the window, even though the original plan was Don't Let The Family Define You. But, genderfluid!! I'd been using "Kellen" a lot too, so..."Katlen" sorta happened? Like, I know smooshed together names are sort of ridiculous sometimes, but it makes me happy and it's the six letters necessary for a fantroll so

(BASICALLY if at first you don't succeed don't worry bro sometimes other stuff fits Better)

• Like x 2
  6. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I wish Em counted as a name to most people, but it doesn't. I've got a few people who use it and it's really nice.
    I like Emmett, but it's got the problem of I'd have to tell people to call me it, and it's so GUY while I am just a smol nonbinary. Guy names are nice, but don't fit quite right, I guess?
    My original name is Emma, and I really like it! it just doesn't fit right. And I want my name to start with Em, because I'm so used to it? I guess?

• Like x 2
  7. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

if you're taking suggestions, Emory/Emery or Emile? Em is a cool name, idk why people would object to it (because it's short, i assume?)

• Like x 3
  8. emythos

Those are nice :) I like them.
    yeah, because it's short is the reasoning.

• Like x 1
  9. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

Well people get away with Ed, so anyone telling you Em is too short is a little ridiculous with the double standards
    (seriously though Em sounds like a great name!!)

• Like x 3
  10. emythos

aww, thank you.
    I like being an Em.

• Like x 3
  11. Everett

so, i'm testing out Cai as a (nick)name, pronounced kay, because i like the sound of that but i want to keep my first initial the same. and it sounds plausible as a derivative of my current name. it's not that I dislike my name, but it's definitely feminine sounding.

anyway, it me, a Cai.

• Like x 4
  12. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

that's a really pretty name!

• Like x 2
  13. Everett

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice