hello yes chickens are cool and i love them

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by taxonomicAtrocity, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

chickens are supposed to be in the chicken run

one is broody outside mum's bedroom window, one gets out sometimes and wanders around complaining, and the others stay in the run about 90% of the time

that is not a deck.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    • Like x 4
  2. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I don't know much about chickens, but it's pretty! I like how you can see its shadow, particularly in the foot region.

3. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

the filename is "this is not a deck"

the gd chicken is on the table

tables are not chicken runs

• Like x 3
  4. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Background doggo is also cute 0u0

5. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

background doggo has been walked past the broody every night for a week and didn't help us find her

somehow we didn't notice her being broody outside mum's window for an entire week

• Like x 1
  6. Lizardlicks

Chickens go broody in either the weirdest place or the most inconvenient. If they are not in the single nest box that EVERYONE ELSE wants to use, even though there's plenty more available, they will be found god only knows where. Like on tables. Or in a pot in the cabinet.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 1
  7. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

earlier this year three chickens went broody in the one nest box all the chickens were using and another went broody right outside the glasshouse, in exactly the spot dad needed to stand to fix a thing wrong with the glasshouse

(and yes, the nest box was just...a pile of broodies)

• Like x 4
  8. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

That is such an adorable video!

• Agree x 1
  9. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

today when i came home from school there was a brown hen standing in the garden right under the kitchen window, yelling, and the grey chicken standing under a tree in the same garden not yelling.

the grey chicken, by the way, is moulting, and heavily because she does that.

• Like x 3
  10. Ducks

Ducks 79 Plural Fowl Illuminates The Legendary

• Winner x 3
  11. Lizardlicks

I got my hatcing eggs in the mail yesterday! All of them look like they came through pretty alright. Some of the eggs I got are w buff orp/white leghorn cross and HOLY SHIT THOSE EGGS ARE HUGE. Not quite fist sized but it's close 0_0

• Like x 5
  12. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Orpintons are huge so it makes sense.

13. Lizardlicks

Naw these are all white eggs that came out of the leghorns. They were in with a buff orp roo, so the babies that hatch will be mixes, but eggs themselves are even bigger than the pure BO eggs I got in the same shipment.

14. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

i think leghorns also lay big eggs, cause they're bred for egglaying

15. Lizardlicks

They do I just.... didn't realize HOW BIG that was!

[​IMG]

Compare: the BO egg at the top. Green egg is from Blue. Top white is a commercial "large" egg, and the WL is at the bottom.

• Like x 4
  16. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

so, can any of you chicken people give me some advice for my weird green chicken Quaker Parrot? 'Cause someone laid an egg today, and I need her to not do that.[/S]

17. Lizardlicks

Uuuuu well, completely different species but basically, if she don't got a BF you can just throw it out because it's not going to hatch. Not really a way to stop it, birds gonna lay an egg regardless just based on her natural biological inputs.

18. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

My partner hatched a bunch of chickens (and geese+ducks) recently, so I get to see pictures of babies. And hear small chirping when I make a voice call.

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

this is very silly and obviously not very serious but its chicken themed and is still stuck in my head so i'm spreading it here too.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  20. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

There's one chicken determinedly trying to brood a plastic egg in the henhouse, and one trying to brood a plastic egg on a pile of hay in the shed.

Shed Chicken is funny because as you go in the shed you can just see this head in the window. Just the head. None of the rest of the chicken. It's only when you're right next to her, on the lawn side of the shed, that you can see the rest of her.

Henhouse Chicken got removed from the henhouse again today, and I shut the henhouse up so she couldn't go back in and put her by the feeder. She spread her wings as I put her down and managed to cover the entire feeder pedal with her wings without opening the feeder lid.

Luckily I spilt some chicken food, because several hungry chickens showed up and couldn't open the feeder because the broody was in the way!

• Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice