Help Wiwaxia brainstorm a SBURB D&D thign

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, May 2, 2015.

1. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Maybe Dodging/Blocking and Protection?
    Or Deflection and Protection, if we wanna get rhymey.

@Arxon yeah, Evasion being confusing is what I'm worried about there.

• Like x 1
  2. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

I absolutely 100% of the time wanna get rhymey so I'm putting my vote behind Deflection and Protection.

3. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Do Knights get a special bonus on deflection? B)

• Like x 2
  4. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

@Wiwaxia "dodging/blocking" those are not the same things ;;_;; blocking is when your armour soaks all the damage /pedant hat

hm, dodge and soak sounds nice

5. Wiwaxia

Yeah, but parrying an attack or deflecting an arrow with a shield isn't really "dodging" but falls under don't-get-hit rather than soaking damage.

6. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Point accepted, notion for "deflect/parry" to be an additional attribute or skill

7. Wiwaxia

Well, unless anyone's got any objections I think I'm gonna go with deflection and protection (or def and prt in short form).
    Def starts at 10 and has a soft cap at 17, prt starts at +0 and has a soft cap at +7, although you probably can't hit both those caps at once.

I've got the Children Fucking Around With Deadly Weapons Table of Despair and Very Probable Death pretty much sorted (for pvp and friendly fire with weapons outside of your strife specibus), but I need to set up the regular death and dismemberment with level-of-enemy scaling and all that.

• Like x 1
  8. Wiwaxia

I started recruiting over here!
    Technically I still need to work out something for Blood and Hope, but hopefully I'll have that sorted out by the time people are ready for character creation.

To do list after character creation before the game starts:
    finish carapacian generatior
    prospit/derse encounter tables
    make and map lands
    make land hazards and encounter tables
    figure out how to implement prototypings and finalize underling stuff
    death & dismemberment table

and I think that's it. Everything else I can set up after people have started playing.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  9. Wiwaxia

pinging @Arxon to come work out the hopey thing

The one idea I do have rn is being able to give yourself an extra standard action once per session. Which goes interesting places tactically, and fits with Doom and Rage's "crisis response OVERDRIVE MODE" thing, but isn't that useful out of combat or really particularly hopey.

D'you have any ideas?

10. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

@Wiwaxia That sounds good to me? I dunno, my other idea would be something related to "ability of those things to make fake things a little less fake," but I'm not quite sure how that would come into play exactly.

11. Wiwaxia

Maybe Hero Points as per http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/hero-points?
    One a session might be a bit much, though.

12. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Yeah once a session is definitely too much. maybe either nerfing them to be less powerful or coming up with a different method of obtaining them that would be less common? Like maybe one on level up? Unless we are playing with hero points in general, that that wouldn't work.

13. Wiwaxia

One on level up sounds better, but that might be too few. Compare adding 4 to a d20 roll after the fact to Doom's bullshit, for instance

14. Wiwaxia

Also, one on level up either means the ability to stockpile them or the possibility of losing one of your total possible ones, both of which are... suboptimal.

15. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Than maybe one per [amount of exp that is less then a level up but isn't going to happen every session]?....Although as we go up in level exp will go up, so maybe every xp percentage? Also, for a middle ground between those two there could be a limit, like I could have 2 stockpiled.

16. Wiwaxia

hmmm. That might be a bit fiddly. One every other session, limit 1, maybe? Or you can't use one the session after you used one? Or maybe like "if you use one of these, you get no xp for this session"?

Here's a more particular list of those things w/out the boring ones and more suited to this game:

Act Immediately: get a standard action that you perform right now, interrupting whatever's going on and happening before anyone can do anything else. Lose your next turn.
    Extra action: you get an extra standard action on this turn.
    Inspiration: If you feel stuck at one point in the adventure, you can the GM for a hint about what to do next. If the GM feels that there is no information to be gained, the hero point is not spent.
    Reuse: you can use any one of your powers regardless of any cooldown or resource limitations that would normally be in effect.
    Special: you can do something implausible or impossible (DM discretion) by making an attack or stat check or something at disadvantage (roll twice, take the lowest)
    Cheat death: you can negate death exactly once by forfeiting this ability forever.

This might actually take it down to 1 a session, doesn't roll over territory again. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  17. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

That sounds good to me? If it doesn't work out we can emergency rule nerf it, probably.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice