Higurashi When They Cry

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Meagen Image, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

A fanmade Visual Novel/"Sound Novel" that made it to consoles, got an anime and a manga adaptation, and is now back on PC thanks to Steam!

Has many points in common with Homestuck:

* a Jigsaw Puzzle Plot, where you read successive installments while trying to figure out what the FUCK is going on
    * non-linear storytelling that switches perspectives to show us different takes on the same events
    * CHILD MURDER. Even more child murder than Homestuck in fact. The first episode opens with a scene of the PoV character killing his school friends with a baseball bat. It Gets Worse.
    * some amount of playing with the 4th wall (this goes to somewhat absurd lengths in the "spiritual sequel", Umineko)

There's a full Let's Play of one of the console versions here. It's an older and somewhat dodgy English translation. Warning for horror, gore, etc.

• Like x 2
  2. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

I've only seen the anime. I have no idea how I got through it or why I picked it up to begin with, because I am a huge weenie. But

near the end when it became SUPER SHOUNEN FRIENDSHIP SAGA, man, the payoff was excellent.

3. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

One of my favorites because it deploys a favorite trope of mine, namely the Unreliable Narrator. That and I really dig horror that makes you question your perception and reality.

4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I fucking cried over this shit. Because just. God dammit. GOD DAMMIT. SATOKO.

• Like x 1
  5. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

That and Rena's speech about trusting friends when you feel alone and despairing always makes me verklempt. :(

• Like x 1
  6. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

I always wanted to get into Higurashi since I was a big fan of Umineko... but the art. Omg. The art in the VN is too much. Did it ever get updated? I know Umineko had a ps3 port with updated art and even voice acting and stuff, was there something similar for Higurashi?

7. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

Yes! I mean, I think. Check out this page.

The hands alone in the original art gave me gigglefits. Oh my goodness.

8. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

From what I can see the steam release seems to be providing better art too.

9. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

Awesome. And yeah @Ruevian , the hands are what get me every time, they're like creepy gigantic flesh mittens or something. Umineko didn't have great art by any stretch, but the characters at least had hands with 4 fingers and a thumb.

[​IMG] Terrifying.

• Like x 2
  10. I watched it because I was a fan of umineko but it was by far way more confusing to me. I just felt sorry for Rika...Poor girl...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice