HIVESWAP

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by AbsenteeLandlady123, Sep 14, 2017.

1. whyguy

whyguy blarg

I finished playing through it a little while ago and I'mmmm already excited to see more parts

• Agree x 4
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Okay, so among other things...
    Looks like Ardata really is a cerulean, so I'm wondering what's so special about her sign that it must be hidden. What don't the writers want us to know?

Also Diemen's bad end path makes me uncomfortable because he looks like he's about five and that dialogue and behaviour coming from him is weird.

3. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

• Iirc the word for Friend and Enemy in alternian is one and the same. Was hoping that would be played up more.
    • Definitely worth 99c
    • Oh look another narc cerulean
    • Good end for diemen was cute.
    /Rant

4. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

I played the Friendsim....
    I kind of regret paying 99 cents for it.
    not much of a fan, honestly.
    the good end for Diemen was nice, though.

• Agree x 1
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Yeah, even for 99c it felt short, and Diemen's behaviour in the bad end is creeping me out. Nice to see a bit more info on the characters though.

• Agree x 2
  6. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

yeah.
    although
    I WANT TO KNOW WHAT EXACTLY ARDATA'S POWER IS. does she have mind-reading? does she have mind CONTROL? because it sure seemed like she had mind control at least, but like, definitely much more intensely than Vriska's, but she also seemed to be able to read minds MAYBE and it also seemed a little like she was influencing your thoughts/emotions at points and I'm so confused???

• Agree x 2
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'm taking a second option of
    putting Diemen's shirt back on him and squeezing him and telling him he's good and cute and pure.

I really want to come up with dancestors for the Troll Call but I can't because they might turn out to canonically have them. Pretty sure Xultan Matzos is meant to be Xefros', so there might be others... What's a good eight-letter title for a stickball player with regime-threateningly strong telekinesis? He apparently didn't survive fame long enough to get one.

8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

To hold the pattern of ancestors in Homestuck, Boldir's ancestor has to have succeeded at uncovering real conspiracies and Vikare's has to have successfully flown. Chixie's might have been a really successful performer, Kuprum's could have attempted to escape from Helmsmanship...

9. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

would it though? darkleer, i guess, was a successful roboticist, but that's kinda the least important thing about him, signless was the exact opposite of a badass threshecutioner... i think we need to keep a distinction between 'some trolls find out who their ancestors are and want to live up to them, and that inspires their career choice' and 'all trolls' ancestors are successful versions of their descendents' goals'.

10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

That wasn't really my point; the point was to contrast them with the original troll.

11. KarrinBlue

just saying that the pattern is usually not always 'career choice done successfully.' maybe it's dependent on their relationships with other characters. maybe it's something new. there's nothing to say anyone 'has to' have done anything.

• Agree x 1
  12. KarrinBlue

You're just doing the 'word my personal theory like it's definite canon' thing again, is the thing.

13. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Okay is there a way we can have a post specifically for headcanons and broader world building about Alternia/Homestuck or whatever so this one can be about what's in the games themselves? Not that I don't enjoy a good thought exercise romp, but This Keeps Happening, and I'm about to just drop the thread entirely because checking it is starting to get more stressful than enjoyable.

• Agree x 8
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Geez, I'm just throwing ideas out! I'm not saying anything is definite! I don't know how you want me to phrase things!

15. KarrinBlue

Just not saying 'definitely' or 'has to'? If you want to say 'it'd be cool if X happened and maybe Y happened too' say that instead of 'X is obviously canon and I know that because Y definitely also happened.'

16. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

look at how you phrased that last post: "To hold the pattern of ancestors in Homestuck, Boldir's ancestor has to have succeeded at uncovering real conspiracies and Vikare's has to have successfully flown." this looks very much like a statement of fact. a better approach would be something along the lines of "Homestuck ancestors seem to have a pattern of [doing X], so to hold true to that then Boldir's ancestor might have [done X]."

i know general writing praxis will tell you not to use hedging words like "seems" and "might" and whatnot, but when discussing fan theories-- especially with something as big and complex (and occasionally contradictory) as Homestuck-- it's actually more accurate.

• Agree x 4
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Okay, sorry, I'm used to headcanon blogs where that isn't necessary. Will try to keep it in mind.

Doing so, I will present evidence for one of my theories. Squint really hard at the poster in Xefros' rumpus room (pic can be found on this page), and you'll notice the troll depicted has the same horns as him. Click on it with the MIC and the SLOTH TREATS, and we get this:
    A Tumblr theorist thought Xultan was Xefros' mysterious crush, but I'm thinking he's his ancestor. (Trolls having no concept of incest, the two aren't mutually exclusive, but that probably wouldn't pass in an E10-rated game.) Slightly annoyed that, if it is true, it wrecks the way I've always written troll names as working, but meh.

• Like x 1
  18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Remind me to do a fanfic scene in which Joey is required to do this:

19. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Xultan might have changed his name, especially if he had a history of rebellion like Xefros. (Not sure how viable that would be on Alternia, but we do have two characters hiding their sign so -shrug-)
    Or perhaps the original 12's ancestors have the same last names because they're ectobiology created, where most trolls' ancestors aren't quite perfect matches.

Like, if you're going with the headcanon that last names are a signifier for the exact hue of their blood then the original 12 have identical blood because ectobiology. But other trolls would get ancestors sort of as a dice roll with how the slurry combines, so there might be a very slight variation (the way you can change the last number of a hex code by 1 and it'll still look like the same color but technically isn't) that means a different last name.

• Like x 3
  20. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice