Homestuck Classpects (or Titles, whatever you prefer)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Deresto, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Hm. I definitely agree with the Light assessment for the most part, and the association between Time players and death is pretty blatant (COUGH COUGH ARADIA IN GENERAL COUGH), but I'm not so sure about the others. There's a bit of association with music among Time players, but it's only really pronounced with Dave and, to a lesser extent, Aradia; Damara's only real shown association with music is the fact that her session's Scratch construct was a music box, and Caliborn doesn't seem to have any association with it at all.

(Then again, one could easily argue that Caliborn, who lives in sarswapagus and shoots Gamzee over 10,000 times each day, is an outlier adn should not have been counted.)

I'm really not sure about the Space thing, though. Calliope kinda fits that, and Porrim actively rebels against her culture's expectations...but Kanaya seems fairly standard in her role as a jadeblood, and Jade's cultural idiosyncracies can basically all be explained by her bizarre upbringing--they're not so much a part of her inherent personality so much as they are a product of nurture.

• Like x 1
  2. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

awww, oh well it was still funnyish while it lasted. not entirely sure why my brain was fixated on it so hard though.

3. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Kanaya mentions that most trolls aren't into fashion like she is, I believe? In her introduction? It's a pretty weak argument, mind, but still. And I'm not sure why it would matter why a person fails to uphold their society's standards? The end result is the same, no matter how she got there.

4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i think you are exactly right, but its really all fanon and conjecture what classes correlate to which behaviors. some people disagree whether page = weenie more or if page = a lot of potential more. some dont think it means either and use other similarities between the two canon pages that we've seen in depth to decide what it means to "be a page". i kept using page to stretch the metaphor, this essentially stretches to all the classes.

5. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Mind, I'm not invested enough to agree or disagree with ingloriousHeist's theories.

6. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Also Void and addictive personalities?

Also I've been jokingly saying that Sylphs thrive on gossip. Kanaya and Aranea fit the bill, and I know I love gossip. :P
    (I mostly just want to be in the know on a given group's dynamics. And I like to know when things are Wrong so I can Fix them. But, uh, yeah.)

• Like x 1
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i dunno, alpha jade was kind of a spitfire in canon with the condesce.

which brings to mind another question: do you think (@everyone) that the adult counterparts to each session would have had the same classpects as their young, player selves?

8. bramblepatch

bramblepatch ground/water dualtype

Alternate-timeline doubles are shaky evidence, I know, but given Jade English's role in her universe (and the difference between Jade English and Jake Harley's roles in their respective universes), I'd definitely say that Jade has an antiestablishment streak that goes beyond unfamiliarity with the wider culture.

9. rorleuaisen

rorleuaisen Frozen Dreamer

See, that's one of the things that my brain is having problems with. They all get their classpects(or at the very least, start the game that gives it to them) at 13. So wouldn't you assess your own classpect based on your 13 year old self? I know I have changed and grown, and part of the classpects is that they grow.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    • Like x 2
  10. Re Allyssa

Thank you for this.

Ooooo good question!! .... That is actually hard.
    See, I'm very adament that PreScratch Guardians are NOT exactly the same as the PostScratch Kids.
    But the other way around, I'm less sure about. Alpha Dave and Rose seem pretty similar to how one could imagine them growing up to be... But, I don't actually know? Hm.

• Like x 2
  11. ingloriousHeist

ingloriousHeist Shen an Calhar

Aradia collects music boxes before her death. Considering how much we know about the Beta troll's session, knowing that Damara's Scratch construct was a music box is a lot. While Caliborn doesn't have an ostensible connection with music, his speech patterns follow an unusual beat, as if he's marking something. His drawings rely heavily on short lines and angles - in other words, smaller, measured pieces constructing a whole picture. Arguably, even his strife modus, the machine gun, keeps its own kind of steady beat. His older self's coat has that color roulette thing going around the outside that also moves at a steady pace. Keep in mind that I didn't say that it was just music; rather, it's a method through which they measure time, or some sort of pulse. Music is just the most obvious representation. Granted, Caliborn can be seen as a stretch, but there's still enough evidence to argue the point.

As for Space players, "fail" might be a strong word. Rather, they don't meet the expectations their respective cultures would have for them, either in the kind of situation they were raised in (Jade), or by what's considered normal on a more general scale (Kanaya).
    Calliope is nice and wants to understand human culture. She tries to make friends and obtain red feelings, all of which is highly unusual for Cherubs, a notedly violent race. Porrim is, as you've said, obvious. Kanaya likes fashion, something we've been blatantly told that isn't normal for troll society, and walks around in the daytime (the daywalking thing has been explained, but it's still unclear how common it was even among Jadebloods). Jade is a budding astrophysicist at age 13, despite having been literally raised by wolves after taxiderming her own grandfather.

• Like x 2
  12. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Not necessarily. I tend to think that classpects are related to challenges a person is facing. Someone who might have been a page at 13 might grow into their potential, and then what does the experience of being a page have to offer them? They have potential, and they have utilized it. Then again, maybe they haven't. Again, I'm not much of a homestuck. I guess I really just think of S(B/Gr)UB as a story driven game that sets itself up to challenge its players on a personal level. And the kind of thing that'd challenge a thirteen year old would not necessarily challenge that same person ten years down the line. But it could.

13. Re Allyssa

This is also the problem I have with Hogwarts Houses.
    11-year-old me and 13-year-old me were very different people from who I am today. I realized the other day that even my high school self would be mortified/terrified of some of the changes in me.

• Like x 1
  14. ingloriousHeist

Rose talks about that at some point recently (give me a mo and I'll find it). She basically is talking about whether or not it's worth it to even go back and finish her quests on LOLAR.

15. ingloriousHeist

Found it! Rose, talking about her quests and whether they're worth doing since they were designed for 13 year old Rose, not 16 year old Rose.

16. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

WHOOPS. I went and filled out all the tests, not realizing that the site that calculates the aspects is down. I followed their link to a post that somewhat explains the calculations involved... but apparently they found most results were somewhat similar, and were scaling the results based on the average submissions?

The heck with it, I'm determined.
    Class calculation:
    INTP (exactly my expected result) with Creative and Analytical nearly tied
    I can opt for Sylph or Seer.

Aspect calculation:
    I'm definitely on the needs-development side of things.
    With the HEAXCO Personality test... The simplest solution is to ignore the scaling that the site is supposed to do, treat 50 as the baseline 0 and proceed. The only specific hints of the scale they give are that they see an average of 70 for Openness and something lesss high for Honesty... I'll proceed calling Openness 70 the baseline, and Honesty 55 its baseline.

[​IMG]

(leaves this half-written post while I work down each of the 6 columns with 8 numbers to tally after adjustments. Ugh!)

The two most outstanding results were for Breath or Rage. The others were far enough off that I doubt the official scaling would have made them options.

So basically, I come up as a Seer or Sylph of Breath or Rage. The old test by PageofHopes on Tumblr had given me Mage of Breath, and Breath's the aspect I feel most drawn to... which may be all the more indication that the game would challenge me with Rage?

Fun fact, the fantrolls I've roleplayed so far were a Seer of Rage and Sylph of Time. Whoooops.

• Like x 4
  17. Re Allyssa

Join the Sylphs!!!! Joiiiiinnnn uuuuussssss!!!!

• Like x 3
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

aw
    jeez i had forgotten how dismissive everyone was being with kanaya's blood problems (i read a few pages further)

19. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Heh! I'm considering it. My current life path is a lot about healing my ability to choose and act... But Breath or Rage? I'll sleep on it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  20. Rezlian

Rezlian Professional Lurker

Yes, classpect! I'm Mage of Mind. Decided both from my own speculation and from taking various tests (and reading a helluva lot of classpect posts and blogs).

When first considering it a few years ago I got pretty quickly down to either Heart or Mind and Seer or Mage, and then I got Mage of Mind on (almost) every test I could find (along with Seer sometimes and a smattering of Heart, Time, and Space when I answered questions slightly differently, and I think I might have gotten Breath once). Every once in a while I'll be reading about a classpect and go "no, see, but this fits a lot of your experiences. Maybe you need to reconsider." Then I'll come across a Mage of Mind analysis post and go "where did you get my diary!? That is private information about me that doesn't need to be spread all over the internet!" so that seems to be settled.

I actually really love spending time working out a person's or character's classpect. I suppose it's something I kind of pride myself on getting right so much of the time (along with personality things like the MBTI). At least right in the sense that other tests usually agree and the person sticks with the title. When people are actually interested, I've literally spent hours and hours on end talking to them about what would best fit them or someone we both know.

As far as keeping classpects across alpha/beta universes goes, it seems pretty clear by now that the trolls keep the same aspects generation to generation/clone to clone. I'm fairly certain the ancestors and their corresponding dancestors had the same class as well, but we know little enough that I think I could be convinced otherwise. So I think the guardians and their corresponding kids have the same aspect and likely the same class, possibly a different one (I also feel like class would be far more likely than aspect to change over a lifetime, no real theory there though, just intuition). I'd really need to reread the comic in full though to do a solid character analysis that isn't influenced by fandom portrayals, and there's no way that's happening until summer.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice