Homestuck Classpects (or Titles, whatever you prefer)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Deresto, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

If you go with Breath having to do with "freedom" and such, I think that could work (going off "choice"). I don't have the best grasp on what the consensus on Breath is, and I have no idea about Rage.
    Same here. Of course, there are exceptions, but in general.
    Although, again, I like the idea of switching back and forth between "opposites" depending on where you are in your life...

• Like x 1
  2. Rezlian

Rezlian Professional Lurker

I like this too. The shadowing/inversion type theories are by no means perfect, but they're good for explaining a number of things, both in canon and in actual people.

Bluh. I kinda want to info-dump (just a little bit) about how I'd interpret the Seer/Sylph Breath/Rage stuff, but I have class in the morning and I need to sleep. If that's something anyone else would like though, I could do it in the evening (if not, then I'll keep my sperging to myself, because posts always end up longer than initially intended; see my last one, whoops. I suppose I could just put it in a readmore/spoiler though. hmmm...).

• Like x 3
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i'd love to hear it later!

• Like x 1
  4. Re Allyssa

Yeah I want to hear it too!

5. secretidentityman

secretidentityman New Member

I fourth that motion.

6. Rezlian

Alright, awesome. And yep, using a spoiler on this because it'll get long.

General disclaimer and qualifications that Classpect is not an absolute determinant of a person and that everything here is tendencies and strong correlation, there isn't any one thing you have to be to fit a certain Classpect and being that Classpect doesn't mean you have all its traits. I do not have a degree in Classpect analysis and can interpret things incorrectly and this should not be taken as word of God, etcetera.

Hopefully the organization of this lets you skip around to what interests you.

So first, this is what I tend to associate with those classes and aspects individually, where the aspect is the essence/part of existence you're interacting with and class is how you're affecting or are affected by that part of reality:

Seer
    knowing/understanding (especially through learning and gathering of information rather than intuitively); information/trivia/fact focused, and likes to record it, especially through writing which tends to be wordy; gives advice/explanation, especially that is sought out by others, while Sylphs do this more directly (meddling); likes strategy/planning; influences through guidance/direction/manipulation of others; tends towards being cryptic and vague/mysterious in advice or not giving all the information available to them.​

Sylph
    repairing/mending; tending (so healing and nurturing, but also pruning and weeding); fixing (usually to what they think is right); also associated with giving advice, but more informally or interpersonally (so meddling, like was said above. this is where the gossip comes in, I think)​

Both are more "passive" classes in that they're more interpersonal/community focussed than self/individual focussed. passive has always seemed like a weird word for this, idk, but that's what passive and active line up with the most in my view.

Breath
    choice; direction; influence of others (even/especially without intending it?) and being easily influenced; inspiration; freedom from bonds; unstructured-ness; motivation; moving-forward-ness/changeability/progressing (not quite sure what word I'm searching for here); escape/transportation (pchooooo); maybe communication/carrying messages?​
    I was rereading the Ultimate Classpect Post to make sure I wasn't interpreting things too differently than most people and it says "Breath players also have a unique ability to deal with problems emotionally, like John’s lack of angst at anything that’s happening to him, or Tavros not making a huge deal about what Vriska was doing at any given moment." which I disagree with. I think the point is that they weren't dealing with that at all, just escaping it by distracting themselves with other stuff. Which is one way Breath can be a weakness, in that it can make people run away from a situation instead of dealing with it when they need to, because hey, if it's not something happening in this moment, it doesn't exist. Kind of the opposite of how Blood is very concerned with history and what is already established and the norm of things, and then potentially upturning that norm. Breath players tend to hop to the next thing instead of facing the problems they need to solve. But that makes them great at escapism.

Rage (fair warning, Rage is a kind of wtf aspect for me. who really knows what's going on with Rage?)
    doubt; resignation; inhibition; limitation; domination? (not so convinced on this one) maybe more manipulation (also altered states of consciousness or perception?) and loss of control/agency (that is, being manipulated); impulses; stagnation; restriction (but this is individual-focused along with Hope as opposed to world-focused as with Doom/Life, also Rage/Hope is more mental/interpersonal while Doom/Life is more external/physical); shows up both as "I am doubting what I once believed in" and "I doubt there is anything but what I believe in;" emotions like anger, hate, fear, depression, mistrust, apathy, ignorance, etc. essentially restricting emotions. Though note that ignorance can be bliss, and maybe Rage is more emotions in general and it's the classes we've seen paired with Rage that makes it seem like negative or destructive emotions; subconscious influences (which isn't necessarily manipulation); intense focus (this seems counter to some of the others, but it's all about restriction, narrowing in on something and putting all your energy toward it); ...religion? (hard to tell how much of this is Rage and how much is that religion is a good way to show doubt and how much is just the Makaras)​

And then the combinations of those (I'm getting rather hungry, so I'm gonna skip through this a bit):

Seer of Breath - This person is really influential on others and an excellent manipulator. They'd be able to see all the opportunities/possibilities for people and guide them to achieve their potential. I suspect the Breath repression thing in combination with the difficulties some of our Seers have gone through mean a Seer of Breath would have a lot of issues with ignoring their own problems, maybe being very prone to thinking about all the good future possibilities while ignoring problems in the moment. They'd probably be an amazing leader, capable of directing their group to paths less taken but with a great outcome, so long as they actually tried to implement their plans instead of just speculating about them. Vague in that they'll ramble on forever without ever directly addressing the issue.

Seer of Rage - This person is also an excellent manipulator, but would be much more intentional in that manipulation. They would really understand the more negative side of emotions, perhaps because of personal hardships. They'd be good at giving advice on how to deal with those negative emotions and seeing how they would affect outcomes, but could also easily incite those emotions in others. A Seer of Breath would be a much better improviser, while a Seer of Rage would have a plan (probably a secret one) they wanted to stick to and difficulty seeing how other paths might work as well. They might be prone to being better at Seeing while in an altered state of consciousness (while in a trance, dreaming, high or intoxicated, etc.). In writing, they would love to focus on the emotional state of characters and their inner turmoil (angst all the way). They would probably also doubt themself a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if they dealt with addiction.

Sylph of Breath - They would want to determine what everyone else was doing, but in the sense of "I've got an idea! everyone come with me!" instead of through a meticulous plan. They'd try to get people to be more laid back and to let things go. Excellent at helping people make a decision and a good communicator. If given too much power, they might use it without really thinking through the consequences or with the mindset that their cause is good and right. Tends to see the world as rather black and white. Probably very good at inspiring people and motivating them to be a better/fixed version of themself (which could be good or bad for the person influenced, depending on the Sylph of Breath).

Sylph of Rage -Has the potential to be an awesome therapist. Good at either raising or lowering tensions in a group and getting people to actually focus on the problems at hand. I feel like a lot of what they'd do would depend on whether they were trying to fix/heal/mend Rage or fix/heal/mend with Rage. That is, are they trying to change negative/restricting emotions to more positive ones, or are they trying to increase those emotions to fix/heal/mend something else (which sure would have been useful with the tricksters). Potentially either very good at knocking people down a peg and instilling doubt in them or especially attracted to people who have had that happen to them and helping them gain confidence again. I think I definitely see religion and the structure and guidance that can come with that as an attraction for them. They might devote themself to a cause or person only to figure out later that they were being manipulated and lash out about that.

I could definitely expand on the Classpects themselves, but need to eat. Any questions or disagreements are quite welcome. None of these are Classpects I've specifically considered before, so I'm not sure how good of a feel I have for them.

• Like x 7
  7. Re Allyssa

Whoa, that was awesome!
    Hmm. I'm kind of curious as to how you'd describe a Sylph of Heart? If you're up to it/have the time.

8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

me too, honestly! if your ever up for it, i'd love if you could post anilyzations on any of the aspects or classes; or even just any further extrapolation on what you already wrote if you wanted, i just really love this stuff.

9. Rezlian

Oh man, I would love to! If I could I would spend all day talking about this kind of stuff, but ugh, school. Tell you what, if I can finish coding my website that's due on Monday, tomorrow (well, technically today, but it doesn't count until I go to sleep and wake up again), then I'll write up something for Sylph of Heart tomorrow night.

I'd love to talk about every Classpect, but that's what, 144? 168 with Lord and Muse? That's so many... but when/if I could find the time I would totally address any specific ones people are interested in.

• Like x 2
  10. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

This is why I find classpect theorizing really gross. :v

• Like x 2
  11. Rezlian

Alright, I finally got around to doing Sylph of Heart. Same disclaimer applies as above. Professional lurker, not professional Classpect-ologist. You are your own person and you get to be that person even when it doesn't fit your title perfectly.

Sylph
    repairing/mending; tending (so healing and nurturing, but also pruning and weeding); fixing (usually to what they think is right); also associated with giving advice, but more informally or interpersonally (meddling, this is where the gossip comes in, I think)
    passive in that they are focused on the interpersonal and community.

Heart
    the core self/soul that is constant across different situations, individuality, ideals/values, instinct/reflex, likes and dislikes/preferences/interests, desire (and emotions relating to it), romance/relationships? (not in the same sense as the bonds of relationships in Blood, but more emotional how do we feel about each other stuff)

Sylph of Heart
    This person would be a good therapist (or just general friend), especially when focussing on people who don't even know where to start because everything has been broken so much or for so long that they don't know what they want from therapy or life in the first place. They would likely be expressive and practical in their approach to relationships, with an intuitive sense for how to relate to others, which may cause them to seem too forward with people who are more reserved. Probably one of the first to know about issues with the relationships going on around them.

Just because you're a heart player doesn't mean you have an automatic sense of who you are, especially when you're more focused on fixing others first, so they may have to learn to mend/tend their self. This would mean some soul-searching to figure out what they actually value and want, rather than what would help fix those around them. But it could lead to them being too critical of their self and deciding to "fix" themself by pruning the things that aren't desirable (which, since you said the shadowing/ mirroring/ inversion thing is somewhat interesting to you, would be rather Prince of Mind; destroying the self with logic and the "right" way to do things). They may spread their self too far in helping others and have none left to just be their own person. So in general, finding a balance between self and the world around them would be a big issue.

Self is very individual, and so a lot depends on what you specifically care about. Judging by skimming through your intro post (I hope you don't mind), some of that is languages and the structure of communication, survivors of abuse, fantasy and fiction, and crafting art. So maybe you're good at mending languages and communication, both in fixing code and when getting people to say what they're actually trying to express so they don't talk past each other (and maybe you're one of those people who wants to edit everything they read). Wanting to provide a safe place of healing for people in difficult situations is a very Sylph of Heart thing to do. Art is another thing people often use to express their self. Maybe you're art is intended to reach others' selves or a way to tend to yourself. Fiction could be a cathartic way to heal yourself or a place where you actually get to see others being healed and their process of healing. Plus fandom gives you a place to fix the things in the fiction you thought were wrong.

There we go. Not sure how well that fits you, but those are the things that stand out to me.

12. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I forgot to jump in and say thank you before, I really appreciate the thought you've put into this! I agreed with a lot of your comments about the Ultimate Classpect interpretations. And, uh,

This is 13 year old me all over! I was the leader of my pack of friends at that age and was so very inclined to taking charge by enthusing about my ideas, and usually people went along with and we had a good time. Seeing things as black/white, wanting to meddle in others' problems and hiding in escapism whenever I couldn't... Dang. It me.

• Like x 1
  13. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

I like the replay-value AU interpretation of Hope, where its mostly about noping hard on whatever needs noped. But idk about class. Maybe mage? Or heir? I only really object to the gendered classes.

Would love to hear what you make of those, rez, if you have the time?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  14. Petra

Petra space case

I don't really give myself a classpect, but I love classpect analysis and speculation and just... <3.

I'm really fond of the page class. One of my fantrolls is a page of space, and I think I managed to work that into her personality pretty well. I'm a sucker for untapped potential suddenly exploding.

15. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

@Rezlian, if you could do a Sylph of Mind analysis I'd love you 5evr. You don't have to but it'd be cool.

16. Rezlian

Haha, oh no, I should not have betrayed my weakness so readily! Now everyone knows how to summon me at will. (but seriously, thanks for stroking my ego. I'm used to more of an "oh god, this Homestuck shit again" reaction, so it's nice to feel like I can ramble on a bit more)

I have a bunch of homework due this week because some professors decided to switch up their schedules and it ended up with a pile of "and this and this, and also this, and these things, and that other one" the whole week through. But I think I could definitely get it done by Thursday night or Friday morning (and I am not known for sticking to my schedules, so it may get done in the procrastination time before then, especially since I just did several Sylphs in a row so I'm getting the hang of it more).

But yes, that's a thing I could do. Up until this point I've usually been in the situation of already knowing someone and then trying to work out what their Classpect is, so it's fun to switch that up and spend time figuring out how to put into words what I actually think different classes and aspects mean/how they interact. Hopefully I'll eventually have a list of associated things for each of the classes and aspects, and then things will come a lot easier (if you guys want to keep indulging me for that long).

• Like x 5
  17. Re Allyssa

I am totally aware of this, but wow, that was really on point!! Thanks for doing this! =D
    I mean, of course not all of it was accurate, but the parts that were were REALLY accurate. So I'm happy. =D
    (Like for me, this was a kind of test to see if I actually fit the Classpect. I mean I am pretty darn sure, but outside perspectives are always neat.)

Jooooiiiiinnnn uuuuusssss =D
    (pfft if that's getting annoying let me know; i mean it jokingly and not presure-y [presure-ly? presuringly? how do i words])

Pffft I will keep indulging for for all of them. xD You should probably get homework done though.

I've been meaning to do something similar in which I wrote up (a much less in depth) the things I associate each aspect/class with. I mean most of it jives with the Ultimate Classpect post, but I think I have some different, or additional things that I like to tell people. I am not hard to convince on matters of fan theory though.

• Like x 4
  18. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I got knight of breath the first time i took the test, and while i'm not sure if it fits me any longer, it's a knight and it's blue (best color), so i'm not changing. >:(

• Like x 1
  19. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

@Rezlian If it wouldn't be annoying or anything, mind doing a knight of doom one?

20. Rezlian

@emythos Sure. I'll put it on my list.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice