Homestuck-Style Cross-Fandom Shipping Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by autopsyblue, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

... That's kind of silly, though, since all that 'transcends quadrants' thing really meant was 'has what humans would call a healthy relationship.'

As useful as we find the concept of quadrants, all they're really doing is putting more firm labels onto concepts we already have - concepts that often very much blend into one another.

• Like x 6
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Legolas and Gimli I do not ship. Very, very, very stubbornly.

• Like x 1
  3. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

That's interesting. Why?

4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

They just don't seem like a romantic couple to me. Similar to my not shipping Lesbifins in any capacity. We have reached the realms of too bro to be shipped.

• Like x 1
  5. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

So after reading this thread and seeing this page in Unsounded I've realised that Duane<>Sette could totally be a thing. A ... probably really dysfunctional thing because he's trying to dad her and she's mostly just been trying to control him, but still. A thing!

6. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

The plot of "The Golf War" follows what I'm pretty sure is one of the classic Troll Romance Formulas, right down to the part where the lower-blood rival realises that the recently conquered species she's been tricking into fucking with her purpleblood kismesis' attempts to beat her in some wargame is actually scheming against them both and intends to kill her seadweller rival, and she rescues her hatemate and then they cut a bloody swath through their inferiors together.

• Like x 4
  7. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

...back to FF14, I realized after some consideration that Crystal Tower establishes Cid and Nero's relationship as Unrequited Black on Nero's part and Unrequited Pale on Cid's part, which is why Nero is always like FITE ME GARLOND and Cid is constantly mildly exasperated at him and never takes the bait.

This actually makes me interested in their relationship when before I'd look at people shipping them red and go "ehhhhh. :/"

...Also I started the Bard 50+ quests and holy shit Samson<3<Guydelot. (though i understand it turns <3 later, hrmmm)

Dark Knight: My PC is definitely attempting to <> Sidurgu who insists on blackflirting with her and she's like "???? are you a lady??? no?? that is not happening then." (He was absolutely spades w/ Fray) WE ARE GOING TO MOIRAIL CO-PARENT THIS SMALL CHILD OR SO HELP ME. (meanwhile all her unrequited crushes on Mylla, Minfilia, Moenbryda, Ysayle, Lucia and Mide...)

Briardien <3< Hildibrand (Hildibrand is kinda oblivious to the spades flirting tho)

8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

so i saw this ad on youtube and because i'm homestuck trash i read into it a little differently than the marketers intended, i think :p.

• Like x 3
  9. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

For Your Consideration:

Why are Clubs always black affection?

The purpose of the third leaf is to keep two folks who shouldn't be in a specific quadrant apart.

Why can't that be two people who would be horrible, enabling moirails? *cough*scourgesisters*cough*

Two star-crossed matesprits?

Also For Your Consideration: The Inverse Auspistice, IE "Will you two stop being reasonable and just hatefuck already?

Discuss

• Like x 18
  10. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

/quietly presents the glory that is Salem<3<Ozpin

/shuffles

• Like x 2
  11. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

This is a good thought and you should feel good for thinking it. I am 100% down for ash as all-purpose meddling to say "your relationship is unstable in a bad way and I want to fix it."

• Like x 9
    • Agree x 1
  12. Aviari

I'm cackling over the introductions like,

"I'm X and this is Z and this is our auspie Y."
    "Wait, I thought you were matesprits, did you flip black?"
    "No! I could never hate my Zibbly-wibblykins--" *smooching noises abruptly cut off by the brisk thwap of a newspaper*

• Like x 15
  13. I think maybe it's because hating someone in an unstable black way is usually considered unpleasant by the participants so they have some incentive to listen to the auspice, whereas without that the auspice would probably be killed for trying to keep red partners apart. Mmm violent troll culture.

• Like x 7
    • Agree x 1
  14. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Yeah, I can see that on Alternia it would be heavily biased towards stopping unstable black. Wish we knew more about ash on Beforus.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  15. Aviari

On the other hand, consider matchups that the participants enjoy but that are hell on everyone else.

Kismeses in the same military unit that keep fucking up procedure and strategy in the name of black flirting and endanger their unit--but not enough to just have them both killed off because they're useful when they aren't being spadestruck dickheads.

Moirails who are pale as ice encrusted diamonds for each other but instead of fixing the problems that cause them to need to be shooshpapped down, they just flop around in a pile for days at a time dude neither of you have eaten in 36 hours what the fuck. Or, in my favorite flavor of ScourgeSisters: "Holy fuck you people are terrifying when you team up, you are going to get us all killed."

Romeo-and-Juliet matesprits whose interaction would cause sociopolitical upheaval on the scale of civil war but killing them off would cause worse problems.

I just really like ash relationships

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    • Like x 13
  16. I like ash too but it seems... rare, especially in human culture. I think what we'd call a good auspice is a good human relationship counselor.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 1
  17. Aviari

Yup! I imagine Trolls would react to human therapists as "professional moirails (that don't 'put out')" and relationship counsellors as "professional auspistices" and that is fascinating to me.

I love situations where Trolls would be like "what do you mean you don't 'get' quadrants, you're doing it right now"

Also the sociopolitical implications. Imagine a troll standing outside their shrink's office with a boombox blasting pale pop hits and screaming "I THOUGHT WE HAD SOMETHING SPECIAL"

(Which is kinda troll/human culture specific rather than cross-fandom but eh)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    • Like x 14
    • Winner x 1
  18. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

one of my fantrolls works part time as a barista and in her adulthood would totally upgrade to barkeeper.
    Which is another thing that would probably be considered "pale for hire", bc it involves letting people talk about their problems to a neutral party and also the probably definitly pale connotated actions of serving/prepping food/drinks

• Like x 8
    • Agree x 1
  19. Hahahaaaa now I'm remembering the one thing I really had fun planning with Sciencestuck was what field everyone was in because I got to put down things like Nepeta as an anthropologist intensely interested in the differences and similarities of human and troll relationships.

• Like x 8
  20. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

We certainly have been known to use it that way in WT :)

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice