Horrifying headcanons here?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by ChelG, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

How does that work out with Araneas being present in the crowds of ghosts in the ending timewise?

• Informative x 1
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

There were? Guess that shows how my memory goes. I reached that conclusion because nobody seems to care she disappeared, she never turns up in the actual story again, and it's a fate that would make some sense with Dirk's classpect.

3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Yeah you can see a few in group shots at times.

4. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Batman hc:

Tim ran away as a child, and was gone for several days, maybe a couple weeks. He finally came home, dirty and starving and tired, only to find that his parents hadn't noticed.

• Witnessed x 3
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Beldaran's analyses of Cal's influence on Bro.

• Like x 1
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I think we can also take it as canon that Gamzee was mind-controlled or heavily psychically influenced, too, as the influence of each part of Cal is analysed here.

• Like x 1
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

9. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

In "The Time Traveler's Pig" Dipper takes Mabel with him into the past several times when he figures out that that's the only way to avoid hitting his crush in the eye with a ball while trying to win her a fair prize.

In the new timeline, however, Mabel loses her pig to her rival Pacifica at the fair, and becomes horribly depressed, beating her head into a pole, and he goes forward a month into the future and sees her still standing there, still very depressed.

So he decides to go back into the past to fix it and return to the original timeline so she can have her pig even though he will have to hit his crush in the eye with a ball and she ends up dating a guy Dipper hates.

But instead of telling Mabel that he's going back into the past to fix it and taking her with him, he just goes back into the past himself to fix it, and then we see a grateful Mabel hugging him.

So effectively he permanently fractured the timeline and there's still a depressed Mabel in that timeline beating her head against the pole. At least until Bill comes back...assuming that happens, that is....

• Witnessed x 1
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Beforus has psionic helmsmen too. They’re different from Alternia in that the attachments are removable, and they don’t physically hurt, at least not as much. How could any decent troll inflict something so terrible on another? But… there is stern disapproval and penalties if the helmsmen detach themselves, because what if the ship was attacked or flew into a meteor field and they needed them to steer? And the penalties get worse each time, for progressively lesser infractions. And so they leave the rig less and less often, and speak to other trolls less and less, and make use of simple pleasures like food and sleeping in a bed or ’coon less and less, until they’re spending all their time in the rig and slowly forget they ever could leave it…

• Like x 2
  11. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

So, a whole lot of the pop cultural idea of wendigos doesn't come at all from actual legends: it comes from Algernon Blackwood's novella "The Wendigo," which I have a soft spot for in spite of both a) its overt racism and b) myself. To give some level of the amount of deviation from the source material happening here, this is an entire novella about a wendigo that at no point so much as mentions cannibalism.

There's a bit where two of the characters are sitting around and talking about the wendigo legend after someone has gone missing, and as far as I know, pretty much nothing they say has any basis whatsoever in mythology. Then one of them, a professional hunting guide, says this:
    I choose to believe he knows exactly what wendigos are actually said to eat.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  12. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

fucking incredible, i think thats the story i once got out of reading on the grounds of "cannibalism makes me deeply uncomfortable and i know what the fuck a wendigo is"

13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Yeah, that sounds like lying. Is that intentional on the author's part?

14. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

It's a decent horror story in its own right (other than the racism and a recurring bit of very silly dialogue), but the author was... very much not basing it off the original legends, as far as I can tell. That said, it was hella influential on a lot of subsequent media portrayals.

No idea. I would think it would be hard to have heard of wendigos and not know about the connection to cannibalism, but there's evidence elsewhere in the story that suggests the author was at least trying to sell the reader on the moss thing.

15. cleverThylacine

well, I don't know who started it, but the pop culture notion of zombies doesn't have much to do with anything that actually happened in Haiti. But I quit yelling at people a long time ago "those are just reanimated corpses" because even I can eventually figure out a fight is unwinnable.

Back when these fantasy tropes were invented, white people just didn't give a shit about getting brown people's mythologies or religions right...and it's too late to do much about it rn. *siiiigh*

16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Same with ghouls; a ghul is an Arabic desert spirit, but pop culture seems to have them as either basically Romero-style zombies or cannibalistic living humans. The best non-stolen word I can come up with to cover the concept is "revenant" but the other words are too thoroughly ingrained in the culture to replace now. (Should I bother trying in my origfic? The people portrayed are the same Victorian-esque white people who stole the words in the first place, but if zombies/ghouls/whatever actually exist in their world, they'd have the concept long before they encountered the people from whom they stole the words.)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The subjug church worships a cherub and has picked up sufficient information about how they work to know about the shared body conflict. Because of this info, the Soleil twins are expected to fight to the death one day.

18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

If Xefros got assigned in childhood to grow up to be a butler...
    ... do some rustbloods get assigned at birth to be sex workers later?

19. cleverThylacine

It can't hurt. If you can't come up with something better, so be it, but if you can figure something out, it would make more sense! If the cultural history isn't so different, you could try coming up with something Latin, given that the Church would probably have had records.

20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

"Revenant" is probably the best official term. People on the street would probably come up with slang, but as I said, they would have done so before encountering the zombi or the ghul. Maybe just call them the dead.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice