How Do RP

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by ScimitarFoxtrot, Feb 27, 2017.

1. So, I've been kinda thinking about dipping my toes back into forum RP for the first time since high school, but I seem to have missed the boat on more recent game starts and I don't know what the etiquette is here with stepping into an existing game, seeing as my only prior experience involved an entire website dedicated to the whole affair (and was also kind of a shitshow tbh). I've been staying outside the whole zone out of respect for not barging into a game that's closed to newcomers, but I've got an itch I wouldn't be averse to scratching. If anyone has answers or advice, that'd be highly appreciated.

• Like x 2
  2. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

(SAME HAT.)

hrmmm. Generally people hit the OOC of a group thing to start with, in the RPs I've been in, but I've only ever done One Kintsugi thing @_@

3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

The shitpost rave is entirely open for you to just kind of jump into without warning.

4. Follow-up question: how do I figure out how the shitpost rave... works, exactly? It seems difficult to keep track of.

• Like x 2
  5. Aondeug

It just kind of...flows? You step in and step out at your own digression. So you're free to just kind of disappear entirely without a word or just pop in whenever. You can respond to something currently going on or just kind of do your own entrance. Relationships are maintained across characters visits to the rave because people have memories and the like. As a setting, the rave is a sort of highly malleable dream location. Like lucid dreaming you can change the environment as you see fit. How good your character is at that or if they do it at all is entirely your own thing.

So like, let's say Ana from Overwatch is in the rave. Ana may or may not be carrying things for tea on her already. If she's not she can just kind of poof them into existence. Or she could be carrying a bag with her that has an electric kettle in it already. I could go into a post describing how she appearifies a table out of nothing or I could just be like yeah there's a table here. Either or is a valid option in the rave.

• Like x 1
  6. Carnivorous Moogle

Carnivorous Moogle whose baby is this

question! is it considered, like, bad protocol to quote a post from the SPR to elsewhere if you just particularly loved it and wanted to save/comment on it? i can't entirely think of a reason it would be, but i figured it's probably best to ask first if possible.

7. Aondeug

I've no idea why it would be bad. So go for it.

• Like x 3
  8. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

if you're really really concerned and want to check with the creator of the post in specific, i'd say ask again in the SPR OOC thread, but i genuinely can't think of why someone wouldn't want it. those end up in out-of-context quotes quite a bit.

• Like x 4
  9. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

so i have kind of a weird question that i hope does not make me sound like an asshole. all my RP bros are out of commission lately, and i really love RP. i'd love to start or run a new game or join one but i'm worried about joining a game with a ton of history that i can't catch up on. and i'm worried that if i start a game i'll get too many applicants and have to figure out how to turn most of them down. should i just... make a single new friend and play with them? does anyone have a small-ish rp they might like to invite me to? is there a NICE way to open up applications and then pick a very small number of people to play?

:T halp

• Like x 2
  10. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Devise a series of riddles and clues to send people on a hunt for the secret tumblr where you explain the game. First x applicants pass the test, after you pass that threshhold change the tumblr url by a single letter. Laugh to yourself at night.

• Like x 3
  11. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I'm probably not the best advice giver b/c I acquired my major long term RP partner through the usage of Semi-Obscure Cooking Implements On MSPARP (and the other one by going on about seadweller linguistics and "hey what if psionics are actually the seadweller's predators and that's why helms–")

but what might work is like...looking around at people's stuff and bits and writing they have up, or someone who seems p chill, and seeing if they'd be down? Orrrrrr

hrm okay thought: Start/run a short-term, single-run game (or more than one!) and see during the course of it if there's anyone who's compatible with you/your style?

• Like x 3
  12. rje

rje here comes the sun

@roach are you talking about plotted rp sessions with a GM or something more free form? My friends and I have a small open form walk in bar rp on Iwaku but idk if it's your cuppa.
    (that said i would be crazy hella excited to try to join an rp you did)

• Like x 1
  13. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Honestly, that seems like a really good approach. Gives the players the chance to see if they enjoy the experience of rping with you and not just the idea of it, gives you a chance to test what kind of numbers you're willing and able to work with...

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice