How do you refer to yourself in internal monologue?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by wixbloom, Feb 28, 2015.

1. sub_marine

sub_marine this is a sub

I also use third person or "we," most often the latter. Occasionally, though, I pick up mannerisms from shows I watch or books I read that go into my internal monologue to make it a conversation, such as: "What's the plan, boss?" "We're going to do the calculus work first, then the government reading." (wherein the "boss" thing is a quirk I picked up from a show I watched.)

2. Minitiate

Minitiate Delicious

Oh my god I thought I was the only one with an alternate persona. Her name is Celia and she started being a consistent character in third grade, when she apologized/I had her apologize for yelling at me to run faster in gym class. Sometimes she acts as a superego and tells me to do the stuff I don't want to do; sometimes I just bounce ideas back and forth between us; sometimes she comforts me or gives me mental health advice; occasionally she shouts my secrets at potential mind readers. Self-deprecation can be in any person, but the persona will correct the logical inconsistencies and give me feel better advice, mostly forcefully because that's what I appreciate.

Fun story: when I was young and thought the alternate persona thing was weird, I used to say it was okay because "the voices in my head aren't telling me to kill people, just to do my homework". And now I am actually mentally ill - I'm almost certainly depressed because of "school / don't wanna" type problems. Also her name is inadvertently a pun on "blind leading the blind".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice