How much joint pain is normal?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by ZeroEsper, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

What autoimmune stuff runs in your family, if you don't mind me asking?

The progressive, whole body symptoms sound plausibly autoimmune to me.

Also, having lots of minor medical abnormalities that aren't at a diagnosis level, which certainly encourages hypochondria.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  2. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

My sister shows signs of Reynauds - she doesn't meet the full criteria, but that's the only description of her condition. As for my Mom, it's whatever causes her vitiligo - her health is pretty bad overall, so honestly I don't remember what problems are side effects of her medication and which are from her crappy immune system.

I realllllyyyy hope I'm making this up, honestly. Like I'd feel stupid, but I'd rather be wrong and be totally healthy than actually have problems. I want to be able to run again, I want to stop my hands and wrists from hurting all the time, and I want to be able to move normally and not feel like I'm fighting to move through cement just to do a basic task like writing notes.

3. albedo

albedo metasperg

Yeah, this definitely sounds doctor-worthy.

Um... a silly question, but are you hypermobile/double-jointed? If you are, you might want to bring up connective tissue disorders in particular, like EDS.

Obviously not a doctor, but I had symptoms almost identical to yours that were almost definitely benign joint hypermobility syndrome. Never got a proper diagnosis, because I couldn't get taken seriously, so... solidarity fistbump, man.

4. ZeroEsper

I'm actually not hypermobile - I'm very inflexible, actually. So my connective tissues could be fine, possibly. And I'm sorry you were never able to be diagnosed - that's really rough. Hugs if they're wanted!

5. ZeroEsper

So I went to the doctor! She seemed to be taking me very seriously. According to her, random joint swelling doesn't just happen, which is kinda what I thought, honestly, but then again I'm not a doctor, so. They took about 7 vials of blood, and they should call me Monday or Tuesday to let me know if they find anything. They're checking my thyroid, my immune system, my blood cell counts, and I think she also said they were going to look for signs of heart problems?

She also ordered a CT scan because I've started having really bad confusion - constantly losing track of what I'm saying, only being able to articulate half of what I'm trying to convey because the rest is just a jumbled mess because words are missing and I forgot where I'm going and what did the person say again? I lost an entire 9-hour shift last week and had to ask my coworker if I went to work because I couldn't remember if I did and was worried I just no-called, no-showed. Turns out I did go! No idea why I forgot it all, though. So the CT scan is happening in about a month.

• Like x 5
  6. ZeroEsper

Supposedly I should have gotten my bloodwork back today. I haven't heard from them though, and it's afternoon, so now I'm stressing hard.

7. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

If they left you a number to call, I'd say give calling it a shot. At the very least you can be like 'hey, is my bloodwork in yet?' and see if there was a reason for the delay.

• Like x 1
  8. ZeroEsper

Got my bloodwork back. Slightly elevated RC cells, but nothing to worry about. Tried to take a walk last night. Made it maybe 5 blocks. I am so sore. I hurt all the time. My doctor was supposed to call.me to discuss the results but it was the secretary instead. I guess there's still a possibility it's Lyme, so now I have to make an appointment and go back in. I'm so fucking upset. What am I supposed to do?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice