How to get over performance anxiety?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Spectacularsalmon, Mar 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Spectacularsalmon

Spectacularsalmon Enthusiastic dork

Singing and musical theater are two of my absolute favorite things, but I have literally no confidence in my ability to do either in front of people when I'm not singing in a group. I have really bad performance anxiety, especially in auditions. I've been doing school musicals for like 6 years and I've only ever gotten one really small part because I bomb every audition I do. I only just started to take voice lessons outside of school a few months ago, and I can't consistently apply the techniques outside of the lessons because I freak out and start thinking everyone is judging me, and that I sound really bad and I'll never improve. The advice my therapist has been giving me for weeks when I mention this is deep breathing and visualizing a peaceful place, which doesn't work because I can't remember to do it and I can't remember to practice it enough for it to become automatic.
    I've been rehearsing the same solo for months for this solo concert my chorus class does, but I'm considering dropping out of the concert because every time I practice it in front of the teacher all I can think about is how horrible I sound and I can't breath right or remember the words, even though I know the song, and I've worked on it in voice lessons.
    So, yeah. I need some advice.

2. Birdy

Birdy so long

wow relatable content

maybe...mindfulness would help? like you embed yourself entirely in singing, focus on your tongue, and keep your soft palate lifted, and filling your lungs. if you focus really intensely on something it's harder to feel like you're messing up and can ease anxiety. at least it does for me.

3. Witnessed, performance anxiety is the worst.

The thing that helped me the most was trying to re-frame anxiety as excitement; "I'm going to make a fool of myself and it is going to be awesome!" is a much closer story to my performance anxiety than "I am calm." When I was doing more presentations, I got to the point where I enjoyed the rush of nervous energy and the adrenaline. It takes some practice at self-deception, but I've found it to be totally worth it.

4. Spectacularsalmon

Spectacularsalmon Enthusiastic dork

I just want to update this to say everything worked out! I've done a fe solo/small group things with solo parts since I made this post and I'm actually starting to get confidence in my own voice! I just auditioned for a musical and didn't freak out the whole time and even got a small ensemble part! Thanks for the advice :D!!!

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice