How to not annoy people you care about

Discussion in 'Brainbent' started by Ben, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Ben

Ben Not entirely unlike a dragon

Basically, I'm stuck in a massive downward spiral because, about a year after the last time it happened, the friends I currently think of family seem to be really irritated by my presence.

It's more complicated this time because the core friends involved are also the residents of the trans-underclassman hall, and are all out. I am not out to the general public, but I do sometimes state my opinions about trans stuff when it's being discussed. (They're mostly similar to those of people on this forum, as far as I can tell, and are partially shaped by things Seebs said during the nouns-as-pronouns era a few years back.)

Things I don't do:
    - Directly talk about depression!feelings or put people in a position where they can tell I'm having a meltdown (unless they literally walk in on it, which does sometimes happen.)
    - Demand for people to pay attention to me/try to emotionally manipulate
    - Intentionally act like people have to share my opinions

Things I do sometimes:
    - Complain about classes, or the weather, or random other inconveniences on my mind
    - Have a negative worldview/make suggestions based on the most pessimistic possibility. (This has something to do with my depression. Unfortunately, fixing this will take a while.)
    - Am upset to find out about illegal things because I want plausible deniability
    - Tell people that using an illicit substance at some particular point in time is a Bad Idea
    - Get upset when people 'joke around' about self-harm/killing themselves
    - Say I'll show up somewhere at some time of night and then not show up because I was too tired
    - Continue to talk in conversations where people haven't been replying to what I say
    - Text friends to try to start a conversation when they haven't responded for a while
    - Repetitively offer assistance or things (usually food) as a friendly gesture even when someone's previously said no

Things that I feel:
    - I feel that I am too needy, even with my avoidance of showing the external effects of how I feel
    - I feel that I am lying to myself about how well I treat other people
    - I feel that by trying to maintain contact with friends (by text chains, by joining conversations they are in, by sitting at the same table after asking for permission) I am being disrespectful of their boundaries, but I also feel that asking for the specifics of their boundaries is even worse. (This is shaped by The Last Time, where the friendship was broken off after I asked for clarification about whether something would be ok.)
    - I feel that I spend too much time feeling lonely, and have been wasting my time by trying to maintain friendships with people I enjoy spending time with instead of going out to find people who don't know me yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice