I can't believe I'm doing a New Forum Intro post

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by Beldaran, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Oh man, it's been ages since I've been on one of these, how fun.

Hi I'm Beldaran, you may call me Beldaran, it's pronounced Beldaran.

I'm the weird theology person on tumblr. Also the weird Japanese language person. Sometimes the weird mameshiba person. Always the extremely wordy person.

I enjoy talking about things, and also listening to people talk about things. I've been a student, a bagel baker, a student, an English teacher, a crisis hotline worker, a student, and a crisis shelter worker.

I'm also a huge nerd, and I keep pet jellyfish. So there's that.

2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Hello. Question that has been bugging me for ages, is your usename from Belgaraths wife, out of the Belgariad books?

3. Stophelping

Stophelping Building a house out of love

Jellies! I have a cousin who runs the jelly tank at the Maritime Aquarium. Good to see you here!

littlemissCodeless: Belgarath's wife is Poledra. His daughter, Polgara's twin, is Belderan. I'm so happy there are other people who know those books.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  4. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Heh, my dad read those to me when I was lil smeet. And you´re right, I misremembered. Beldaran was the nonmagical twin.

5. Beldaran

StopHelping got it, Beldaran is Polgara's twin. I actually just got an ask on tumblr about that too. I guess there is some kind of serial killer also named Beldaran? D: I am not named for that one.

Nice to see familiar faces. And yeah, when my tank is stable I'm going to be posting SO many pictures.

6. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

I loved those books and absolutely mainlined all of Edding's stuff I could get my hands on as soon as I found him. My favorite was The Redemption of Althalus, which is like The Belgariad or The Elenium only all in one book.

7. novelDaydreamer

novelDaydreamer Not Appearing In This Avatar

Same here - I loved those books so much that I now owe my Dad a new set of the Belgariad and Mallorian, which we agree will make up for all of his books that I loved to pieces growing up. Good memories :)

8. Beldaran

Yeah, I learned of them kind of late, when I was 20, but quickly read all of The Belgariad when my then boyfriend (now spouse) introduced them to me.

I should have said David and Leigh, because they did write all the books together.

9. Beldaran

Yeah, I learned of them kind of late, when I was 20, but quickly read all of The Belgariad when my then boyfriend (now spouse) introduced them to me.

I should have said David and Leigh, because they did write all the books together.

10. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I loved the original Belgariad but found my interest dropping with each new series. Eddings did have a talent for dialog, though, and I admire him for that. I got a bit tired of how ... archetypal or stereotypical his societies were. In many ways similar to e.g. WoW, but somehow I'm more accepting of it in a game.

11. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Yeah. I really loved the Belgariad as a kid, it hasn't worn as well with age as it might.

Also, it has at least two continuity errors when you include the second set of books. One of which I always forget but I am pretty sure it involved something to do with Ce'Nedra's history or ancestry and I'd totally notice it again if I reread the books. The other is that in the Belgariad, Belgarath mentions a device he used to figure out why stars fall, and gave an explanation involving the weight of the dome over the world, but in the next book, we get plot points that unambiguously involve more conventional cosmology with stars being very large and very far. This upsets me. Oh, also, I think there's a plot/backstory thing involving the wolf who travels with the heroes in the second series, in that she's introduced as having had a mate ("I visit his bones sometimes"), but later I believe we find out that this was not so. And I can hardly believe that such a respectable wolf would lie.

As a side note, he also wrote a book, not in a series that I know of, called The Losers, which advances the theory that one of the things that keeps people suffering, poor, or whatever is that they will manufacture drama so they can feel good or important, rather than focusing on their problems. And I don't think this is entirely true or complete, but I think it's a very useful thing to keep in mind. (One of the examples is people who decide to talk about gang turf and get all excited about that instead of talking about how to make rent.)

And I think I just sort of assumed Beldaran was named after the character, although I couldn't remember who she was in the series because... everyone join in on the chorus... I'm really bad with names.

12. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Hi Beldaran! *waves madly* I've been lurking your tumblr for a while and you always seem to have really cool things to say.
    I find theology and religion really interesting, but I don't know a lot about it, so it's always nice to read what you've got to say.

13. Beldaran

Yeah, I only ever read the one series by him, and a while into it there was quite a lot more capital M Morality than I was happy to deal with in a good, but not fantastic book series. I enjoyed it a lot, but I didn't reread it more than once and I doubt if I read it now I'd be as happy with it. But I still love the name Beldaran, and her weird half wizard half wolf heritage.

Well thank you! You are entirely too sweet. Feel free to hit me up here or over on tumblr. I've started leaving anon on recently because no one ever sends me rude messages. It's quite surprising actually.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  14. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

JELLYFISH.

Also hi, I've seen you around and it's nice to greet you in person. Greet greet.

15. Beldaran

Greetings back! I recognize your user name. *waves*

16. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

*intones* mameshibaaaaa...

17. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

awww *blushes* And have done already as anon, actually. ' v '

18. Beldaran

mainichi hitotsu mamejishiki ra ra ra~

19. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  20. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Noooooo Come, on I was about to ask that! .... I parse your name as Bel--d---an mostly, but actually looking at it, it's not that hard, so nvm. xD
    Anywas, hi! I love your theology stuffs and I can't wait until I have more time to actually look at things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice