I can't create because I don't know how to overcome concerns about cultural/racial insensitivity

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by BlackholeKG, Sep 9, 2016.

1. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Yes, that probably is the cause, but I can't tell myself to just stop worrying about it because my worries are valid. I'm fully aware I have a lot of racist shit internalized, simply by lieu of having grown up white. If I try to relax and not worry about that, it may well come out in any writing I do. The answer to "I'm worried I'm being racist" is not "don't worry, just let yourself be racist!" This is a serious issue. I hate that I'm making it this much about my own feelings as it is. This isn't my purview and I don't matter in this discussion, and any mistakes I do make will be unconscionable regardless of personal circumstance. It's just not justified to ever communicate shitty harmful bias in writing, ever, even by accident. The only way to ensure no harm is not to write anything or talk about race at all, to make sure nothing slips through by accident. That ensures the least harm is done to others, so it must be the correct course, surely? I have no right to be prioritizing my own feelings over the wellbeing of oppressed racial minorities...

2. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

And I feel like I might be exaggerating/catastrophizing a little here, but I mean, aside from perhaps overly rigid terms and said exaggeration of severity maybe, I don't see where that logic there is specifically wrong, per se.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice