I Hate Kale So Much, Help Meee! A Community Supported Agriculture Thread

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Beldaran, Jul 10, 2015.

1. ectoBiologist

ectoBiologist I'm a wise guy

• Like x 1
  2. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

you can substitute chard into any spinach recipe. i know my mom makes quiche out of it. i don't like it, but that's less because of the chard and more because i have issues with quiches

• Like x 1
  3. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

• Like x 1
  4. ectoBiologist

I'm going try to make a kale macaroni and cheese creation tonight. Will let you know how it turns out! :D

update edit: It was delicious and simple!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    • Like x 1
  5. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

How do?

6. ectoBiologist

So I made macaroni the regular way -- boiled some water and put the macaroni in. Then I put in de-stemmed/cut up bits of kale in a frying pan and salted and peppered the kale for taste. After the macaroni was done, I drained the water, added butter and the cheese packet from the box and then added the fried up kale (which the kale was fried in butter in this instance). Then I mixed it all up and I added some curry to the mix for funsies. I think in the future I would chop the kale up to be even smaller, cuz the big chunks of it in the macaroni was a little bit of a texture nightmare. But I thought it tasted great! Maybe try in a small batch of macaroni with a little bit of kale before adding kale to the whole macaroni dish? Like put some macaroni into a bowl and add a little bit of the fried kale to it and see how you like it?

7. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

It's Community Supported Agriculture time again! I'm excited to try and keep up with all the veggies this year.

Just this first week I found my very favorite way to eat chard and other greens!

I fried some yellow onion in butter and when they were cooked I added destemmed, chopped chard and other leafy stuff like turnip and radish greens. Taking out the stems is important for cutting down bitterness. I added salt, pepper, jarred minced garlic, and a splash of rice wine vinegar, again to cut down on bitterness.

When that was done cooking I removed it from the pan and added more butter and little shrimps. I used frozen small, uncooked, pre-husked and deveined shrimp. When those were finished I put most of the greens back in and added most of the al dente egg noodles. They absorbed the juice and butter and were delicious. The noodles and greens I set aside were for my girlfriend who hates shrimp. I just tossed them together. I assume most people aren't cooking for such picky people tho.

Here is a more exact list!

Egg Noodles (4 of 6 servings in bag)
    2 tbsp butter, divided in half
    40 little shrimps, 2 servings
    2 cups chard and misc greens, destemmed and chopped
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
    Salt, pepper, and minced garlic to taste

Cook noodles in lightly salted water until al dente.

Cook onion in 1 tbsp butter with salt pepper and garlic until tender. Add greens and vinegar, cook lightly until tender and remove from pan.

Add 1 tbsp butter and shrimps, cook until browned.

Combine noodles, greens, and shrimps in the pan, mix well and cook lightly. Remove and consume.

This recipe makes 4 servings of about 300 calories each, or two dinner servings. It keeps in the fridge well and would easy to cut in half. If you don't like shrimp then chicken or even canned tuna would probably also be delicious. Reports from girlfriend indicate that the meatless version is also tasty.

• Winner x 5
    • Informative x 1
  8. Beldaran

I have found the Best way to eat kale, after years of searching!

Presenting...

[​IMG]

Honey Mustard Kale Salad!

¼ cup lemon juice
    ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
    ¼ cup + 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    ¼ cup honey
    ¼ cup chilli garlic oil
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    Minced or powdered garlic? As you like.

Combine everything and shake it like a poloroid picture. Pour 1/2 of it on 1 bunch of kale (5 cups, ish) that has been washed, destemmed, torn or cut into pieces, and crushed in your fist. Toss to coat and leave it in the fridge overnight. There are about 120 calories per one cup serving. All the acid in the lemon juice and vinegar cooks the kale through denaturation so it's not bitter at all. Just sweet honey mustard goodness.

I put 1/4 can of tuna and some Japanese pickles I made in my bowl of it just now and it's AMAZING.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    • Winner x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. ectoBiologist

Looks yummeh :d

• Agree x 1
  10. Beldaran

Man, on mobile images are so much smaller. Sorry guys, but I am really proud of how pretty the colors are.

11. kmoss

kmoss whoops

it is very fancy, i might draw it if i get bored

......thus bringing my kale-related art up to 2

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  12. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Hi so i'm changing professions, i'm just gonna draw kale shit until i die

(things to ignore: i got excited over the chopsticks texture and so i only looked at the original picture once.)
    kale saladsmol.png

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
  13. Beldaran

THAT'S SO CUTE, I LOVE IT! THANK YOU! :D

• Like x 1
  14. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Back when I was under doctor's orders to eat a lot of ~dark green leafy vegetables~, I got some mileage out of Thai soy sauce noodles (Pad See Ew). This isn't the exact recipe I was using, but it's similar. I've made it with several different kinds of greens, including kale.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice