I have no gaming group, and I must RP! - Or Game Brainstorming

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by Carcosa, Jul 20, 2015.

1. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

If I were annoyed by interconnected timelines, I'd be running the wrong game. Connections between characters in different ages are strongly encouraged, as long as both players agree. Though inventing/designing/beginning a forgeborn would place this dwarf in the 13th Age; tech like that would break the feel I want for the 12th. Or to put it another way, a dwarf trying to make something like that from the 12th Age is starting a veeeeeeeeery long-term project, and won't live long enough to see any results better than a simple non-sentient golem.

A sorcerer-bot created by a hardcore paladin may be channeling energy from the Great Gold Wyrm. If that's the way it ends up going I'll rename/re-skin the breath weapon spells for you.

2. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

We're playing the 12th, 13th and 14th age, yes? I'm cool with putting my Paladin in the 13th age if @KarrinBlue wants to work that connection.
    Name: Saetha Brightwolf.
    Former mercenary turned WarPriest after a fight gone wrong. She ended up nearly dead in a flaming cave-in, probably fire elementals or something. Clearing out a nest of Red dragonlings for the Great Gold Wyrm for pay, maybe. Some sort of head injury left her all but blind from blood in her eyes, though she could see a beam of golden light with her left eye that guided her out of the cave-in. Once in safety, it was discovered that the head injury was a horrific burn that had completely obliterated the eye she had claimed to be able to see the Light with. As a result, she becomes utterly devoted to the Great Wyrm and if I follow the rest of her PF storyline she becomes the tyrannical head of a crusader religion and eventually a sizable country.

She has a Big Damn Warhammer with the Wyrm's sigil (or a sun-in-glory) carved into the striking face, so that when she hits something it's consecrated with that sigil.

3. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

That sounds fine! So Saetha would've created the bot to help her get around/deliver smitings when she was injured?

what would be an appropriately religious name for that bot?

4. Aviari

Or it could have been an Enforcer if she gets to go Crusader at some point.

5. TheSeer

I feel that I should point out that the 13th Age already has a fanatic paladin icon called the Crusader. He does not get along with the Wyrm, even though they both nominally serve the Emperor and they both spend all their time fighting demons. Not sure what you should do with that information but I thought you should know.

Assuming a Great Gold Wyrm influence:

Golden Path
    Principle of Heaven
    Righteous Sage
    Incandescence
    Terrible Justice
    Glory

6. Aviari

I am so here for Incandescence or Glory. Crusader doesn't get along with the Wyrm? BAM. There's Saetha's Antagonist Icon. You can't be a Crusader without a Great Enemy, and what's a little religious upheaval between grudging allies?

7. KarrinBlue

Incandescence sounds great.

• Like x 1
  8. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I definitely read that as Incandescence of Glory, which is also a fucking sweet name and one that I think should be considered.

Also, I'm running my game saturday evenings, so that won't work for me or @KarrinBlue.

• Like x 1
  9. TheSeer

Does that go for all of Saturday, or are you two up for back-to-back gaming? (I wouldn't be.) Without Saturday we're looking at playing after I get off work, we'd be starting about 9pm eastern. That, or the occasional Friday where I don't have anything else going on.

10. Aviari

I'm Eastern time. Sunday nights are guaranteed good as I'm off Mondays but Monday nights are not, I have to get up at 6 Tuesday morning. Other than that it depends on work schedule.

11. Aviari

13th Age: Saetha Brightwolf
    HP 36 AC 18 PD 14 MD 14
    Init +2 Rec 1d10/8
    Melee: 1d10+3 (Fuckoff Huge Two-Handed Warhammer. She needs a name. I am open to all suggestions, from Retribution or Redemption to Susan or Smashy McBreaksface)
    Range: 1d8+1 (Fuckoff Huge Heavy Crossbow, also needs a name.)
    Domain: War

Talents
    Cleric Training: Hammer of Faith
    Fearless
    Bastion​

Unique Thing: Well apparently she's building a "spellcasting all-terrain deathbot" for the next age, so she has a gift with mechromancy. Also her Holy Symbol is embedded in her face as a false eye instead of on a chain or something like a normal person. She tends to wear an eyepatch over it, because shiny carved golden eyeball creeps people out, but if the eyepatch comes off Shit Is Going Down. Also, Glorious Beard. I am heartily in favor of bearded dwarven ladies and hers is both sumptuous and elaborately braided. Her beard brings all the dwarf boys to the yard.

Background:
    Soldier of Fortune +3
    Military Leader +2
    Zealous Convert +1
    Mechromancer +2 (Good with dwarven magical tech, basically)

Icons:
    Great Golden Wyrm +2 Heroic
    Crusader -1 Ambiguous

(I'm thinking her weapons will be Righteous and Retribution in a formal setting, Smashy McBreaksface and ???Something Similar??? when in use)

12. TheSeer

Hah, nice. (Is that +5 Con? I have never seen anyone do +5 Con.) 13th Age characters aren't final until we finish playing through the 12th, since changing history is the whole point, but it will probably help @KarrinBlue to have more info about her character's "mother." The official Unique Thing is probably the eye, since having your unique thing be another PC would be weird and Glorious Beards are happily not rare among dwarves.

How about you, @Carcosa? Any character ideas yet?

13. KarrinBlue

I'm still trying to come up with non-13th Age characters, ugh. I kind of like the Drow but IDK about any real characteristics.

14. TheSeer

*blinks* I thought Incandescence the all-terrain spellcasting deathbot was for 14th Age. I definitely don't see a reason why a forgeborn couldn't live that long. You could even play them (it? her?) in both ages if we came up with an explanation for why all the levels gained in the 13th Age chapters are gone. Or, it could be a long-term project that Saetha doesn't get running / up to adventuring standard during the part of the 13th Age we play. Honestly, I always expected to see at least one long-lived character spanning two parties, from my knowledge of both JRPG tropes and tabletop RPG players, though I was guessing it would be an elf.

On the other hand, I kind of like the drow too, so if you'd rather go that way for the Age of Ruin I can help you brainstorm.

15. Aviari

The +5 Con is so I can be a berserker meatshield without needing an actual shield. Because hammer.

So what order are we doing this? 12-13-14, 14-12-13? 12-14-13?

I probably should poke my Sorc into shape.

16. Aviari

Incandescence could easily get shut down or disabled or damaged in the end of the 13th, be "discovered" and "repaired" in the 14th

17. KarrinBlue

Oh, it'd be really cool for Incandescence to be in both 13th and 14th ages!

• Like x 1
  18. TheSeer

Oops, I didn't say that? That's important information.

We're starting in the 14th Age (Age of Ruin). That chapter will end with you getting to send a message back to the 12th Age (Age of Heroes). Then you'll be playing the recipients of that message in the 12th Age, who will presumably come up with some plan to perpetuate that information in a way that you hope will change the future, in the middle of a literally-epic war. Then you play the people in the 13th Age (Age of Troubles) who have to actually act on that information and prevent the apocalypse. It is possible that you will succeed, I won't flat-out railroad you or put victory behind an impenetrable wall of enemy stats, but I'm trying to plot it so that you will only be partly successful, need to send another message, and the cycle will go round again. If all goes according to keikaku (keikaku means plan) we'll be doing a prologue in the 14th plus three full cycles, at the end of which the final version of the party in the 14th will march their max-level bad selves up to the undisclosed final boss and personally kick the apocalypse in the teeth.

Tl;dr: 14-12-13. (-14-12-13-14-12-13-14)

Or even if he's not disabled, he could just be a damaged wanderer. If you want a plottish source for the damage, well, your mountain was burned down by the biggest evil dragon ever.

19. Carcosa

Carcosa Member

I have a handful of concepts that I just need to put into words. This is the one that I've got the most fleshed out-

From On High She Calls Them Home or "On" for short

"Aasimar/Holy One" Cleric

(Covered Face, Warning for body horror/LOTS OF EYES: Uncovered Face)

Unique Thing: The only one OR Staring directly into On’s many eyes for the first time will give a person a brief glimpse of something that will be related to their death.

Background: On was originally a celestial servant of a goddess of Death (Realms- Healing, Anti-Undead, and Death; The Goddess decides when you die, heals you when you are about to die but aren’t supposed to, and wants the dead to stay dead.) and was originally sent to revive a person from what was supposed to be a near death experience. However, said person ended up being exposed to too knowledge from "Beyond" and their consciousness/spirit/soul/whatever could not be put back into their body and still have them remain sane enough to play the role that the Goddess expected that person to. As a result, that person's consciousness was sent on and On possessed their body and took care of the job. However, because of On's time living as a mortal, On cannot return back to the side of their Goddess and is stuck living out the rest of their existence in their current mortal body.

Originally, On's body still passed as both human and the person they were pretending to be. However, as time passed, more and more of On's originally heaven essence began to express itself.

Icons: Negative with Lich King; Positive with Priestess (if she’s around?, Because Religion), Pretender ( Fighting against Lich King ); Probably Negative 2 for Lich King, and Positive 1 for either Priestess (if she’s allowed) or Pretender.

Possible Hook: With Santa Cora and the Cathedral likely destroyed, On likely tries to follow the combat to help heal those who need it. Though On no longer has direct insight as to their Goddess’ intentions for who lives and dies, they are inclined to believe that their Goddess is willing to forgive a life being lengthened in exchange for gaining another weapon against the Lich King.
    Some of the other character concepts that I'm still thinking on (in no particular order) are
    • Drow Rogue who is somewhat reluctantly working for the good of the Empire because of a geas that was placed on her bloodline when one of her ancestors became indebted to a member of the Imperial Line.
    • Wood Elf Ranger who was healed with a living prosthetic made with druidic magic that is now starting to grow out of control and make them a bit more plant than elf.
    • Tiefling Bard who was originally a human descendant of a noble house who, long ago, was thought to be destroyed. Not too long ago, they went on an expedition to what remained of the ruined estate and ended up finding and activating a cursed artifact that turned them into a Tiefling.

20. Aviari

Age of Heroes.
    *side-eyes her slightly unhinged Red draconic sorceress*
    ... Right.

(I feel like I should note that the reason my characters tend toward insane despots is because when I staged a coup and took over my Pathfinder group I took my characters Potential Futures out to their most ridiculously over-the-top results, made them the rulers of MY world and then casually threw a 4-part civil war at them.)

... I see what you did there.

Also, looking at this version of Sorceror, I'd like to do some tweaking. Mostly because PF bloodline/heritage boils down to "You become increasingly more in tune with your heritage until you can temporarily become the embodiment of your bloodline" and there's really nothing like watching the squishy 120lb sorceress explode into 1200lbs of decidedly unsquishy scales and fire.

It just seems odd to have a specific-colored draconic Sorc be able to breathe ALL the colors?

If it's too much hassle that's fine, I've been a troubleface already with the whole Witch thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice