I need to learn to suppress my emotions.

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by tickingnectarine, Sep 5, 2017.

1. So far I've attempted meditation on my own twice this morning and didn't last two minutes.

2. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

It can be hard to start. I'd keep trying for a while longer before deciding whether or not you are bad at it/want to continue.

3. Birdy

Birdy so long

Yeah, you did in fact try. Two minutes is a long long time to only think about your breathing or keeping your mind blank. Sometimes I can't even manage one minute, but it still helps for me. I'd say to keep at it.

If you keep doing it and it's not working, you've hardly exhausted all your options. I can try and dig up some of my DBT stuff if you like?

• Agree x 1
  4. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

So my lifetime record is about 30-40 seconds. I... might have ADHD. Just maybe. But it still helps some. And it's a thing you get better at with practice. And I know it sounds really horrible when people say things like "it takes years", but they don't mean "it takes years to get any benefit at all", they mean "it takes years to get where they are". Or at least it took them years.

5. seebs

So there's a simpsons episode where Principal Skinner is making some stupid platitude about seeing how many times he can do a thing in an hour, then seeing if he can beat that record. And it's sort of a dumb platitude the way he presents it, but basically that's one kind of application of thing to work.

Depending on the job, just working on mindfulness in your approach to your job can help. If you can get focused on the task so you're thinking about that instead of about other stuff, that will usually help!

6. Nvm.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  7. So I had a rough day at work and it could've gone very badly. Breathing didn't seem to help, but I left and just sat and talked myself down for like ten minutes and that helped.

• Winner x 4
  8. seebs

That's good!

Basically, different things work for different people. But as you find things that work for you, you'll also get better at doing them, and they'll get easier. It mostly takes time. But once you get things that help, that makes it a lot easier. It's much easier to get better at doing a thing than it is to find a thing that works at all in the first place.

9. Tea and Rain

Tea and Rain angry squirrel

Here is something I have found that work for me. Note five aspects or (more) per your senses of your environment, focus on finding and observing them intently. Basically five things you can see, hear, and smell. It gets me to think about things that are not spiraling racing thoughts. Have you used an object based meditation? Those are short but a bit easier than shutting thoughts down in my brain, it is just redirecting them to observing the object. There are forms of mediation that involve redirecting the brain a little bit that may be worth looking up.

• Informative x 1
  10. I've got three 8-hour shifts at work in a row this week. Today is day one. Wish me luck.

• Witnessed x 4
  11. seebs

Good luck. That sounds pretty rough.

12. I survived! It got more challenging every day for one reason or another, but I survived and held it together just fine.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
  13. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

That's great to hear!

• Agree x 1
  14. Time to test my skills again :))))))$))$))))

• Witnessed x 1
  15. Today was bad. I hurt myself. Haven't done that in a few weeks I think.

Customers laugh at me and employees just try to "help me" to placate me so I don't go on a violent rampage because I'm a man and men are violent and evil. I don't think anyone actually wants me to be okay at work. They just want damage control.

And I don't believe them when they say I did an okay job. They're lying.

• Witnessed x 3
  16. I got really stressed for a few hours. I lost track of numbers, and where I put things, and what I was doing. Why do I still have this job? I'm not good at it. I'm emotionally challenged and I'm stupid and I'm not good enough or fast enough or smart enough. I have to be better. Getting better slowly isn't enough. I have to be better now.

I calmed down for the last hour or so, though. Things went okay. But overall today was bad. But I... sorta did an "active meditation"? I was folding some papers to file them and just kept mentally going fold. crease. fold. crease. fold. crease. for like fifteen minutes. I had some other thoughts for a few of those minutes but mostly it was very calm.

• Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice